Acorn flour

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by feralchild, May 28, 2008.

1. HOW TO USE ACORNS FOR FOOD AND BREAD

There are many species of oak trees. They prefer open woods and bottom land. Normally, they are divided into two major groups:

Red Oak - The red oaks have deeply scalloped leaves with very pointed tips. The acorns from the red oak are very bitter. The acorns require two growing seasons to mature, have a hairy lining on the inside of the shell, and the nutmeats are yellow in color. Red oaks are also members of the black oak family.

White Oak - The white oak also has leaves with deep scallops, but the Tips are rounded. The acorns of the white oak are less bitter than those of the red oak, and they require only one growing season. The inner portion of the white oak acorn shell is smooth, and the nutmeat is white in color. The chestnut oak is considered part of the white oak classification.

NUTS:

The nuts are gathered during the fall from September to October. When processed properly, acorns have a pleasant nutty flavor. Acorns are an excellent source of energy, protein, carbohydrate, and calcium. When collecting acorns, one should not be surprised that many of them must be discarded due to insects or mold, so more should be collected than are needed. If you spread a sheet of plastic under the tree and use only those acorns that fall within a one-day period, this seems to reduce bug infestation, an especially important problem for acorns that are to be stored in their shell. The ripe tan-to-brown acorns, rather than the unripe green ones, should be gathered.

The bitterness in acorns is caused by tannic acid which is water soluble. To remove this unpleasant taste, shell the brown, ripe acorns and remove any corky skin layers, dice the meat; and boil the chunks in water from 15 to 30 minutes until the water turns brown. Then pour off the water and repeat the process until the water clears, indicating that the tannic acid has been removed. Periodically taste a bit of the acorns until you no longer detect any bitterness. (Native Americans would let the crushed acorn meat soak in a fast-moving, clean stream for several weeks to remove the bitterness.) During the last boiling, salt water can be added; then the acorns can be deep fried or mixed in a soup. Also, finely chopped acorn meats can be added to bread and muffins, or the soft acorn nut can be added as a protein booster to cooked greens. After the leaching process, acorn meat can be frozen.

To make flour, the boiled acorn meat can be split in two and dried by slowly baking in a 200 degree oven with the door cracked to allow moisture to escape. Or, they can be dried in the sun. They are then crushed or ground and used as a thickener or as flour. Another method is to roast the fresh acorns to work well in a grinder or blender. After grinding, the course flour is placed into a cloth bag and boiled to leach out the tannic acid.

Acorn flour can be used alone to make an acorn bread, but it is not very pleasing to most tastes. Acorn flour is more palatable when mixed with wheat flour or corn meal-one part acorn meal mixed with four parts corn meal for corn bread, or one to four parts wheat for bread. The acorn meal can also be heated in water to make a nutritious mush. Or add enough water to make a thick batter. Add a dash of salt and sweetener to improve the taste. Allow the batter to stand for an hour (or until thick) then pat into pancakes and cook or twist and bake on an open fire.

The leached acorns, after they are roasted until brittle, can be ground and used as a marginal coffee substitute.

In their shell, the dried acorns will store for a time. Some Native Americans stored acorns for several years in bags buried in boggy areas.

2. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

I never would have thought of using acorns for food or bread...thanks.

3. deadman03

deadman03 G&G Addict

nc
    thats pretty cool, i would have never thought about eating acorns before now.

4. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

hmm acorn coffee, i wonder how that tastes.

5. Enjoyed the read and never will forget it. Thank You !!! feller

6. Billyz

Billyz G&G Newbie

Ive had em roasted taste like poop. think the leeching of the acid would help.

7. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

Interesting the only time I tried a acorn was on a dare when I was a kid and I agree with Billyz it tasted like poop. The acid leeching would diffently be worth a try. I see a project for my next camping trip.

8. You can shell the nut, put the meats into a clean cotton sock and put it in your toilet tank for awhile, a few days usually, and the tannin will leech out.

9. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Living as the Indians

I decided as a ?child: Living off the Land as an Indian. Yeah right:09:
    Gathered fallen acorn nut, persimmons, wild onions and somehow or other trapped a rabbit. Now the mess begins.

Wild onions ?[called chives]? took Holley berries, found some other mess and put it all into a pot over a campfire.
    After a few minuets; tried some; need longer. Went fishing and caught some 'bream' scaled them and put into the pot. [fish don't take as long]

Did find a snake; left him alone figured that this was enough me and veggies for now.
    Mess was boiling and I had no way to remove it from the fire. Went back fishing. Figured; just let it cool.

Sometime later @about dark, TIME to eat. God almighty; crap was nasty;:09:
    well Indians ate it; So I had another helping. Still mighty nasty.:09:

I sometime later crawled into my sleeping bag; Don't remember much about that thing. Sometime in the middle of the night; I was sweating, stomach growling; gosh darn I was not feeling too good.

Learned my lesson; Don't overcook this mess:09:

10. I ate acorns as a kid. Yup tasted like poop. May try puttin them in a sock in the toilet bowl but that would taste like poop too Im a thinkin. (Just Kiddin)
    Arent Holly berries poisonious?? (not kidding).

11. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Holly Berries = major tummy troubles.... :sad2:

Shoulda gutted the fish and baked over the fire on a stick.

12. We used to wade and swim out to a dredge island in Galveston Bay. We'd take camping and fishing gear including a sein net. We's stay 2 to 3 days and catch all kinds of stuff to eat. We never went hungry. If you have access to salt water especially where there's an oyster reef I don't see how you could starve.

13. Thanks for the infor. But I won't use it unless I have too! LOL

14. sometimes when i go out behind the house in the fall i will eat some kind of acerns that have an orange meat, they taste like a mix betwen peaches almonds and battery acid(jk)but for real they are real bitter but i can usually keep them down

15. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Thanks for the how-to in preparing acorns. Useful to know since there are a lot of oaks around here if the SHTF. It seems like a lot of work, but after the SHTF what else so you have to do with your time?

16. If you can find a Burr Oak they produce a big nut with very little acid.
    BTW, if you put shelled nuts into a sock to leech them in your toilet, PUT'M IN THE TANK NOT THE BOWL!

17. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Old book called "My Side of the Mountian", by Jean Craighead George, read it in 5th grade, it gave me my first lessons about survival living. Book was about a kid (Sam Gribley) who ran away from home and lived off the land. Disney made a movie about it by the same name in 1969. He makes much mention of Acorn flour and what you can do with it...also includes several nice recipes.

Led me to taking Scouting much more serious...which led to much better survival training...