Adjectives, Adverbs, and Homophones, Oh My!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Kellen, Sep 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Kellen

Kellen G&G Evangelist

Writing and speaking; talk about lost arts in America. TenMan warned me that I might be in danger of becoming an English Teacher. That gave me an idea.

Following are some of my pet peeves when it comes to bad English in America.

~ Since when did “goes” replace the word “said” in everyday speech? Example: “And then she goes, like, you know, how could you do that? And then he goes, like, I dunno.” Portland personified.

~ Yes, Virginia, there is a difference between there, their, and they’re. Ugh! It seems that anytime I have to deal with a person from California they are clueless when it comes to differentiating between those three words.

~ Compliment and complement. Will Americans ever understand the difference between those two words?

~ Whenever our government posts a traffic sign that says “Drive Slow” I cringe. And the government is not the only entity guilty of advertising its ignorance by using an adjective in place of an adverb. Our media makes that mistake consistently as well. Kanye West even has a song called “Drive Slow.” Signs of deterioration….

~ “Hello, how are you?” “I’m good, and you?” Well, well, well…..

~ Advise and advice seem to be constantly bungled in writing. Think verb vs. noun.

~ Another common problem: forgetting, or not, the apostrophe for “it’s” vs. “its.”

~ Just a basic understanding when it comes to modifying a noun. Example: “Joe found a sparkly girl’s necklace” instead of “Joe found a girl’s sparkly necklace.” On the other hand, I'd really like to meet that sparkly girl…

~ And don’t dare “axe” me about my thoughts on Ebonics!

Some levity to lighten your day. If you have your own pet peeves regarding bad English, please share.

2. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    YOU'RE PLAYIN' MY SONG, SON!! LOL!!!!

Preach On, brother Kellen!

3. Fla_dogman

Fla_dogman G&G Regular

Funny but oh so true...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Jaison and Ten Man like this.
  4. chris l2018

chris l2018 G&G Evangelist

UK
    To boldly go...

And misplacement of the apostrophe...

Felix's Tattoo and Jaison like this.
  5. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    You axed for it!

To, Two, and Too, are three separate words with three separate meanings.

As are Your, You're, and Yore.

Huey Rider, Gray Wolf and Jaison like this.
  6. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

To dang early for this crapp.
    My speller and grammer is allways broke. If folks don't Ike the way I right, they can skip my pozts..

7. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Guess we struck a nerve...........AGAIN! LOL!!!!

Felix's Tattoo and Jaison like this.
  8. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

you forgot poke,poke,and poke.
    all 3 are different words and people use them incorrectly every single time.

9. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

that's right, I just made that up, but it's true.

10. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Had an English teacher once prove that:

That that that that.

Is a complete sentence.

11. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    How many times have you seen the words "Then and Than " not used correctly.

Jaison, Jack Ryan and Ten Man like this.
  12. rando

Maryland
    By the way I have relatives in West Virginia. I am thinking they have their own dictionary.

Huey Rider, Jaison and Ten Man like this.
  13. Huh? What?

Huh? What? G&G Evangelist

Central AZ
    Language changes over time. If not, there would be no such thing as English.

14. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

Indiana
    Well now, I mean, really, let me be honest here going forward and orange man bad.

spell it.jpg

Mike T, Huey Rider and rando like this.
  15. rando

Maryland
    Very nice . I am thinking of having that printed on fronts of T-shirts and selling them at Walmart. That is with your permission to use your write up.

Jack Ryan and Jaison like this.
  16. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Ha! Love the Orange Man Bad.

Jack Ryan likes this.
  17. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Then and than are too often used interchangeably.
    Then is a continuation sratement - "I'll do this, THEN I'll do that.
    Than is an exclusion - "I'll do this rather THAN that".
    Totally opposite meanings.
    Another - fare, fair.
    And, the grotesque misuse of "like". "Like, there's this girl that, like, I wanna, like, talk to." Sheesh. :confused:

18. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Not to excuse doing it, but I think that many errors are deliberate, when posting on the internet, for sake of brevity, speed of posting or convenience. I've seen "shot" used in place of "shoot" & I often use "thru" in place of "through". 'Course "threw" is a also a bit shorter than "through".:p

19. noelekal

noelekal G&G Evangelist

We see this constantly on firearms forums and its use is on the rise over the past decade.

"I prefer heavier grain bullets in my self defense loads."

"What grain bullet would you suggest?"

It's loathsome to have to read "grain" used as a synonym as a reference to weight when ammunition is being discussed. What grain indeed!

Heavier grains? Would that imply that there are also lighter grains?

This would tantamount to saying "What was the pound of your largest bass entered in the fishing tournament last weekend."

A grain is 1/7000 of a pound. Always has been. Always will be.

TXplt and Big Dog like this.
  20. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

You know, the funny thing with some of the current "incorrect" linguistic changes is that they are sometimes accidental reversions to an older way of doing things, and in some cases it is the way things have always been done, but some scholar somewhere was able to convince people it was wrong without any good reason.

Using "go" for "talk" is similar to the Old Norse rinna meaning "to run" or "to go through without pause." Someone who would not shut up was a rinnir. There are conversations in the Sagas where rinna is used exactly the same way you describe.

Old English and several other older Germanic languages (as well as many modern Asian languages) are perfectly happy to say the equivalent of "go slow" rather than "go slowly." Sometime in the 18th Century the phrase "slowly go" would have been proper. Then some literazi, with no greater worries, somehow decided that dangling participles should be a matter of concern.
    In the time of Chaucer the phrase would have been "slow gon," and in the time of Beowulf it would have been "eode slaw" - at least in one dialect.
    I used "go" instead of "drive" for my example, because until fairly recently in English, telling someone to "drive" meant that they weren't pushing hard enough, and in some dialects of English and Old German it meant anything from quick violence, to heavy lifting, to running after something, to (my favorite) continually bringing up a subject or nagging.
    At one point "drive" and "drove" were unrelated words. To drive was to exert physically. Drove was a totally unrelated word meaning "a large group of people or animals."
    Even the idea of a "cattle drive" in American colonial times would have been confusing to the point that if you said it, people would answer, "yes" and look at you like an idiot. Drive, in this sense, was a metathetic of "drove" meaning a group of animals. The person who moved those animals was a "drover" - a term still preserved in British and Australian English. One who was a drover or driver of a wagon was the one responsible for handling the team of animals.

On top of that, "slowly" was a word unto itself for much of the English language. It meant weak, lazy or dirty. It comes from the same root word as sloth, sloven, slut, and even soiled. This was the common usage until some time in the late Elizabethan, early Jamesian era.

This means a sign with the words "drive slowly" in the 1600s would mean there are dirty, lazy animals in the street.

Telling someone to "drive slow" in any grammatical variation before about 1750 would either translate to "slow herd of animals" or "please exert yourself/move quickly/beat someone up at a slow pace".

"Axe"-ing a question goes back to to the earliest records of English language. Acsien or axian is the Old English verb. The most commonly found metathetic of it in written word is "axen". Chaucer even used "ax" in "The Canterbury Tales."

The conjugation was thus:
    axen - to ask
    axed - did ask
    ax - asking
    woax - will ask

There is actually a cool documentary about the preservation of Elizabethan English in modern Afro-Carib and other dialects, and how those dialect shifts made their way into slave dialect and eventually became what we call ebonics as well as the "yat" dialect in New Orleans and other parts of the "old" coastal South.
    Ax as a questioning verb is still used in Cornwall, England, and other related dialects, and anywhere there was a large Cornish migration or military presence of Cornish troops at some point in history, such as South Africa, or parts of India.

We have Samuel Johnson's dictionary of 1755, and Webster's dictionary, published in 1806, to thank for "ax/axe" being suddenly incorrect as an interrogative after 13 centuries or more of perfectly good use.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    EtherialOne and Huh? What? like this.