close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Adjustable Gas Blocks

Discussion in 'AR15' started by pcman312, Nov 19, 2014.

1. pcman312

pcman312 G&G Regular

What adjustable gas blocks are available out there? I've really only seen ones that are adjustable via a hex wrench. Are there any available that have a lever or other mechanism to provide a few specific positions? The PWS series gas block seems nice, but as far as I know it's only for their piston system, not for DI rifles.

2. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Noveske Switch Block

Syrac Ordnance block

SLR Ordnance gets some good reviews too.

All of these pretty much require something like an allen wrench to turn... even on some of the piston guns (non AR platform) you usually at least need a bullet tip on most of them.

Also keep in mind that most gasblocks won't fit under your handguard if you have an after market hand guard. So you will ether have to get a rail that is shorter than the gasblock or you will have to get a rail that has the top cut out for one. (Novekse has one)

The Syrac Ordance one might be the only one that actually is low profile enough to fit under most other aftermarket hand guards.

Is the adjustable gas block for use with a suppressor, or are you just planning on using a super wide variety of weaker/stronger than normal loads?

TXplt likes this.

3. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're running a suppressor all the time and don't want as much over gas. In that case, adjustment procedure isn't going to be as big a deal since it will stay in one place full time. If it's a recoil or lock time thing, throw a heavy buffer in it and that will fix it.

TXplt likes this.
  4. pcman312

pcman312 G&G Regular

Thanks TACAV (as usual when it comes to ARs). This would be for a suppressed rifle, though I'd prefer to have the ability to switch between suppressed and non-suppressed. If it needs to be turned with a bullet, that's fine, but I'd prefer to not have to carry around an allen wrench in order to make that switch. The ideal setup would be a small lever or dial of some sort that would have three basic positions: full, suppressed, off (because why not? it could be fun).

TXplt likes this.
  5. XHartman

XHartman G&G Addict Forum Contributor

Innovative Arms has a switchable lever on their upper for moving to suppressed. http://www.gunn-fighter.com/innovative-arms-WAR-receiver.html

As mentioned - Syrac has front facing adjustability and doesn't have some of the issues the gen 1 had. Basically disassembly doesn't cause loss of parts.

DoubleStar makes some very nice adjustable blocks for about $77. http://star15.com/dsc_low_profile_adjustable_gas_block.html
    I had the opportunity to tour their factory in Kentucky earlier this year and it is quite impressive.

TXplt likes this.
  6. Some of the first shorty ARs had a gas port that was too big. I was the recipient of one of those and the extraction force was so heavy that the rims of the cases were being deformed which made them useless for reloading. I sold it to a guy who never planned on reloading and he called me a couple months later and told me it had been stolen.

7. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    644CFB70-8AD8-4A58-A050-0C43DDE80F0A.jpeg 3E4ED88F-45B2-4D0D-80FF-5CFD324CFE4A.jpeg I have the SLR on my LR308 DPMS pattern. The rifle was WAY over gassed. The SLR made it run right when I was ready to wrap it around a tree.

I don’t mess with it often, but nice to know I can tune it a bit or whatever it needs.

Helped my buddy build one, left it to his decision, he just got one and was done with it up front. I think some of it is a 308 thing. They are different animals.

I keep an Allen wrench on board in the ergo grip. Dosent bother me at all.

TXplt and blaster like this.
  8. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

^ I keep a "tool" kit and batteries in my grips too.:D

TXplt and jerry like this.
  9. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

FWIW I found a ST-T2 buffer with standard weight spring worked on my builds and didn’t require an adjustable gas block. This has worked for a broad spectrum of ammo and for me hasn’t required me to tweek anything between loads.

The rifle/pistol might be somewhat over gassed running suppressed but I’ve had pretty good success with the combo so far. The only potential negative is I might be getting more blowback into the receiver when operating suppressed compared with someone who tweeks a gas block for a given load and condition but this hasn’t been much of an issue so far either.

blaster and jerry like this.
  10. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I wish more AR parts manufacturers would make something like the adjustable gas block on the FN SCAR series of rifles.

Right up front of the gas block there is a big switch you can just flip... no tools required.... Straight up 12 o clock for unsuppressed and flip to the side 10 o'clock for suppressed shooting.

easy peasy lemon squeezy! :D

TXplt likes this.