Adobo?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dookiebutt, May 18, 2008.

1. What is adobo? Is it just a sort of Mexican seasoned salt?

I was playing around on the grill today. I mixed adobo, smoked paprika, garlic poweder,onion powder, Chinese five-spice powder, black pepper, cumin and some brown sugar into a rub. I seasoned three racks of ribs, let 'em sit for an hour, and then onto the grill. I grilled them, and then retired them to the oven in covered Pyrex. I added some apple juice with a dash of liquid smoke and balsamic vinegar.

I don't know what to expect from the adobo. It didn't strike me as too different from Lowerys. I will let you know how they turn out.

2. MrsS

MrsS G&G Enthusiast

The only thing I know about "adobo" is that it is a name of chicken/beef/pork dish that my filipina mother makes.

It involves mixing the meat in a mixture of soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves and other seasonings; marinating the meat in it, then cooking the meat until its browned...after that you pour the sauce in and let it simmer.

Let me know about the "adobo" seasoning you used.

3. It was labled as "adobo seasoning" and contained salt, black pepper, white pepper, garlic and oregano. It was like a finely ground seasoned salt.

4. Is this familiar MrsS This came from Filipinofoodrecipes.net. The adobo I know of is adobo chipotle peppers. I have never seen the powder.

Pork / Chicken Adobo Recipe

Estimated cooking time: 50 minutes

Adobo Ingredients:

• 1/2 kilo pork, cut in cubes
    • 1/2 kilo chicken, cut into pieces
    • 1 head garlic, minced
    • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
    • 1/2 cup soy sauce
    • 1 cup vinegar
    • 2 cups of water
    • 1 teaspoon paprika
    • 5 laurel leaves (bay leaves)
    • 4 tablespoons of cooking oil or olive oil
    • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
    • 3 tablespoons water
    Adobo Cooking Instructions:

• In a big sauce pan or wok, sauté garlic and onions on cooking hot 2 tablespoons of oil.
    • Add the pork and chicken to the pan. Add 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, vinegar, paprika and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or when meat is tender.
    • Remove the pork and chicken from the sauce pan and on another pan, heat cooking oil and brown the pork and chicken for a few minutes.
    • Mix the browned pork and chicken back to the sauce and add cornstarch dissolved in water to thicken. Bring to a boil then simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
    • Serve hot with the adobo gravy and plain rice.
    Adobo Cooking Tips:

• You have the option to add crushed ginger to the onions and garlic when sautéing. Ginger adds a unique flavor to your pork/chicken adobo.

5. Adobo can be a wonderful detour from everyday cooking, unfortunately it also can become as blase as boiled white rice after awhile. I ate so much in the Navy I no longer have much affection for it but some may it, is a worthy addition to anyones dinner plans!

6. Whatever it is, my ribs came out awsome.

7. MrsS

MrsS G&G Enthusiast

jimkim: pretty similiar, except we don't use paprika or cornstarch; as in every recipe, everyone has a different version.

ezearlin: adobo is only one of many filipino dishes I eat; combine that with southern food and many other types of meals and my family can truly say that our diet is an extremely varied one, lol.

Dookiebutt: glad the seasoning turned out awesome for your ribs!

8. Adobo

yeah! Adobo chicken is good. sarap!

9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Adobo is a very general, loose term, and applies to seasoning, and technique. Sort of like Mole is.

10. HogManMagnum

HogManMagnum Guest

FYI: adobo is not mexican, it is a general spanish word meaning 'seasoning' and/or marinade. not all adobos have the same ingredients, depends what country its from. just like New England bbq compared to Texas bbq, etc

11. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

While stationed in Hawaii I ate chicken adobo every chance I got, very delicious. Would like to find it around here...