Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a relatively new shooter and I would like some advice on purchasing a new gun. I already have a Springfield XD Subcompact 9mm, which I love and I keep with me almost 24/7. I just ordered a CZ Tactical Sport 9mm, which I am looking forward to getting for target shooting, and I have a Sig 229, which I have decided to sell. I would like to replace the Sig with a .45 pistol. It would primarily be kept for home defense, so it would have to be extremely reliable. But I also want something that is fairly accurate and easy to shoot. Since I am more concerned about accuracy and low recoil, I would rather find something that has a long barrel and some weight to it. I tried a HK USP, but that was a little too light and had more recoil than what I am looking for. I have also tried a 1911, which I liked, but I have long hands and the grips were a little too narrow for my liking, and I would ideally like to find something that can also hold 10+ rounds in the magazine. The 1911 I shot was either a Springfield or a Smith & Wesson, but it was noticeably dirty and it failed to load and failed to eject far too frequently. I am willing to go down to a 8+1 capacity if it I need to, but I wanted a little more input first. I was considering one of the double stack 1911's from Para, Springfield, or Kimber, but I read about feeding issues with all three models. I have also been considering the CZ 97B and the EAA Witness Hunter with the 6" barrel. I have read almost nothing but good reviews on the CZ, but I cannot find a single review on the EAA (except for a couple on the 10mm variant). I would like something with a 5+" barrel length, an 8+" overall length, and a weight of 2.5 lbs. or more. I probably will not buy one until after I get my income tax refund, but I am willing to pay up to around $1,000. I would, however, prefer to spend less. I don't care what it looks like, and I'm not planning on mounting anything on it or making any modifications to it (except possibly the grip). If you have owned or fired any of the guns that I have mentioned above, or you can think of another one which you think would suit my needs, please feel free to share your thoughts with me. Thanks!

·
Registered
953 Posts
The best 45 I own is a COLT 1911 series 80, I have big hands too so I put Hogue rubber grips on it and the gun just forms to my hand. With one buffer installed the gun has hardly any kick at all to it. As far as hicap is concernd there are ten round clips available but they stick out of the hand grip. Also I should tell you that I dont own any hicap 45pistols so my suggestion is biast, but hands down this is the best shooting most accurate 45 I own. My other 45's Springfeild 1911 and a smith @ wesson 1911. The 1911 style has worked well since it was created so I figure why not trust history.:)

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Just a recommendation

The Springfield Armory four inch steel framed
recreation of the army 1911-A1 is very well balanced, reliable beyond belief, and is of sufficient weight to make recoil manageable and follow up shots quick. Realistically, in a home invasion scenario you will never realize a benefit from a high capacity handgun. It just happens too quickly. You will need the positive qualities of the gun I just mentioned.

I stated the four inch as I, personally, have found the five inch .45 to forward balanced and I tend to shoot low with it. I like the balance point on the four inch thus I shoot better with it on the first shot and succeeding shots.

Best recommendation - try out a variety of .45's to find which fits you the best in terms of hand to grip, pointability, controllability in multi-round firing, trigger pull, sight picture, etc. as this will be the gun for you.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Check the Para-Ordinance line. The hi caps. are a double stack and the grip is a little wider than a std.1911. They are very accurate and dependable. So are many others in this price range. Go to a shooting range that rents guns and shoot different brands until yoy find one that you really like.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've got a CZ 97B and love it. It's heavy and requires a large hand but is very accurate and dependable. The weight and grip shape make it very easy to control with low felt recoil. I have used it for shooting steel plates and bowling pins with excellent results. It's a double action auto just like your CZ75 only bigger. 10 shot mag + 1 in the pipe. Can be safely carried with round in the chamber. Everyone who has shot it remarks on how well it points and how comfortable the grip is, assuming their hand is big enough.

I have found that the factory mags feed round nose fine but don't like any hollow-point ammo. Simple solution, use Mecgar mags listed for the EAA Witness 45. They are essentially the same except the EAA design holds the cartridges a little higher in the action so the feed into the chamber is straighter. NO MISFEEDS with these mags on several brands of Hollow-points.

Just my 2 cents worth but I find the CZ is a great bargin that is often overlooked. This is one I wouldn't trade for anything else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well the most accurate .45 would have to be a Kimber, I personally won a SIS modle with rails, streamlight led light and laser; and that thing is just the best for home defense and at the range (got it down to a 1.25" group of five shots at 25 meters). But Kimbers are a little small around the grips for some people. The make a composite frame stagged magwell, but i heard that was the one Kimber that's a lemon. If you want a solid metal gun in .45 That is bigger around the grip I would go with a Para Ordinance Big Hawg (All black except for a stainless trigger and hammer, stagged or double stack mag gives it a bigger grip radius, 5" match grade ramped barrel, comes with 2 14 round mags after market go up to 18 with out being too tacky; and can be bout brand new wiht lifetime warranty for under $800) or the uther option is a HK HK .45 of HK usp .45 expert for 5" barrel but you have already ruled out. Now some peple diss Para but every company makes a lemon every now and then, like i explained even kimber has one. But my roomate has the big hawg and i shoot it a lot one the week ends and if a was looking for a new .45 that would be on the top of my list, sory this was a little long it's just 1911 are a passion of mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also the big hawg and some other para ordinance have the LDA light double action, so you get the peace of mind with double action, the cock the hammer in single action and you have a gun with the right ammo and practice can easily do a sub 2 inch group and 25 yards

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I'd stick with Springfield for price and reliability.I would also check a .40 out before deciding on .45. ,,,sam.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts