Gun and Game Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
.410 ammo prices are enough to make shooters get into reloading.

Love to have my old Mossberg bolt-action again.
Prices reflect what it is your shooting.
Std 2.5" #8 lead shot goes for about $10 a box.

Prices go way up for any the Hevi Shot or premium shells.

I would pay $15 for a box for small game loads, wouldnt sweat it one bit.
Now if I was chewing through a $15 box of shells every 2-3 days, Yes Id sweat the price.
But since its hunting.
Hunting has its good days and bad.
I guess you could make it a policy to fire off all your days allotment of cartridges for the day wither you harvested game or not.

·
Banned
754 Posts
The rifled bolt action 410 must have been more a regional thing?
Ive never seen one rifled.
Ive seen bolt action shotguns on relatives gun racks but only 20ga and 12's
Seen quite few 410's at farm sale, some were boltaction's yet dont remember mention of rifled 410's though.
In fact you mentioning Most the bolt action 410's were rifled was surprising to me.
Is there any mfg figures on number of rifled 410's produced?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, like Hillary would say, I think I misspoke. That is the only one I have actually looked down the barrel to confirm. I think I was thinking of the others back then that were magazine fed or had a tube under the barrel. There were lots of them.

My brother bought that gun from our neighbor who ran a pawnshop and tried to talk him out of buying it because he said the rifling would not shoot shot well. We were too young to understand that. My brother killed a truckload of rabbits, quail, pheasant, rattlesnakes. and I think he even killed some ducks with it..

I wrote above the gun was stolen after it got a habit of going off by itself. It had a shallow slow twist kind of like a black powder as I recall. I do not recall it being very accurate. I think it was grooved for a scope, but only had the bead on front. Not sure why it was made that way. Possibly could have been done by some smith or hobbyist. Wish I had it now. LOL

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,399 Posts
Sorry to go off point, but a funny story. When we were kids, 1960s my brother had a single action bolt action 410. Absolutely no telling how much game, skunks, rattlers and other critters he killed with that gun over 40 years. However, it developed a strange and dangerous problem. Any time you closed the bolt it would go off, sometimes immediately or sometimes it would wait until you walked a few steps. We could not fix it and we are both mechanically inclined. I told him to get rid of it, before he or someone else got hurt. He did not.

Well some jerk broke into his house and stole it. Sure would be funny if they shot themselves in the foot. LOL
Sounds like a slam fire (stuck firing pin or protrusion from bolt face). Had a shotgun do this due to stuck firing pin (pump) years ago.

FWIW, had an LCP with protruding (binding) stuck firing pin as well (Ruger fixed it); fortunately found out before I dropped the slide. Good reason to give a gun the once over before you drop the bolt or cycle the slide.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Sounds like a slam fire (stuck firing pin or protrusion from bolt face). Had a shotgun do this due to stuck firing pin (pump) years ago.

FWIW, had an LCP with protruding (binding) stuck firing pin as well (Ruger fixed it); fortunately found out before I dropped the slide. Good reason to give a gun the once over before you drop the bolt or cycle the slide.

Thanks. Actually, we narrowed the problem down. The action and barrel were held into the gun by a single bolt. If the bolt got the slightest bit loose it would allow the action to move maybe 1/20th of an inch. That was just enough to put the safety to where it would go off. It would not go off when you put the safety on. But if you bounced the gun around the tolerance was so close it would. The first 2 or 3 times he was just walking along hunting and Boom! I was to one side and scared the crap out of me. Today I would epoxy the darn thing, but we were young. He never did fix it. It was stolen near Vernon Texas, so floating around north Texas now I suppose. Hopefully the new owner has a limp.

NCIC may find it one day. I had a nice SW Model 63 stolen in 1989, while I was visiting in Oklahoma City. In 1996, I got a call. It was picked up in the pawn shop check in Boulder, Colorado. Lucky break. The original pin barrel model 63 is a collectors item now. I also lost a Walther PPK/s stainless. It is still long gone.

Reactions: neophyte and TXplt

·
Banned
190 Posts
Interesting, I have a Stevens 301 single shot 410. With slugs it would work for home defense, but you would have to be able to reload fast. So I would not recommend it for that. I think a handgun would be better.

Will it kill a coyote? Yes at 50yds with a 3 inch slug. I have never had a reason to shoot a bobcat, but yes it will easily kill one. It will also take down a deer and deer do attack. But that’s another story. Will it kill a bear? I think with a 3in slug and good shot placement and distance, it will stop a black bear. But I would not recommend it, but if it’s all you had…. Against a Grizzly, well we all have to go sometime. But at least you would go down fighting, lol

41 - 45 of 45 Posts