Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with the
vsdfvsdfv brand of covers? They have good reviews and dozens of models on Amazon but seem pretty cheap to be good quality. I am thinking about several for my lever guns and maybe others. Any personal experience would be appreciated before I order several. Thanks.

vsdfvsdfv Real Leather Rifle Ammo Cartridge Buttstock Holder Cover Cheek Rest Padded
Brand: vsdfvsdfv
4.3 out of 5 stars 47 ratings

Price:$22.99 & FREE Returns

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Got a M1D I had to replace one. Pretty tough to get it to fit properly. Thinking about putting one on my 1903a4 Springfield.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I believe I got this from Midway (or Brownell's). The key was to be very careful when lacing it up to be sure there were no extraneous twists. I used needle nose pliers to thread the loose ends under and back. Top is my bottom load M95 straight pull and bottom a stock M95.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe I got this from Midway (or Brownell's). The key was to be very careful when lacing it up to be sure there were no extraneous twists. I used needle nose pliers to thread the loose ends under and back. Top is my bottom load M95 straight pull and bottom a stock M95. View attachment 163829
That one looks good but I want the ammo loops on them. The only leather one sold by Midway is by Galco and $80. This Ebay brand are all leather with the ammo loops and most are $25 or less. So, before I order 4 of them I was hoping to find someone that actually has tried them. Nice guns. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
That one looks good but I want the ammo loops on them. The only leather one sold by Midway is by Galco and $80. This Ebay brand are all leather with the ammo loops and most are $25 or less. So, before I order 4 of them I was hoping to find someone that actually has tried them. Nice guns. Thanks.
yeah, thanks. I really enjoy the M95s. However, my real point was not so much the particular pad but that you take some time at the install re: threading. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
If they are garbage, Amazon does free returns. Mark the reason as Not As Advertised when returning (they were garbage, not your fault).

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I apolgize for sort of hijacking this thread but I would like to ask a couple of questions for the knowledgable before I put one on my 444 Marlin. Thanks.
1. Do you leave the cover on all the time?
2. Does crud build up under the cover?
3. Is the stock finish affected by the cover?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I apolgize for sort of hijacking this thread but I would like to ask a couple of questions for the knowledgable before I put one on my 444 Marlin. Thanks.
I do not have these leather ones yet, but have several of the old nylon ones. Yes I leave the ammo on there all the time both on shotguns and on my lever guns and have no issue with crud under the covers. I collect levers and have many and my plan is to put these on 4 of them. I wax my wooden gun stocks with Johnson's Paste Wax or similar product. I often carry them in leather saddle scabbards that I have for horses, but I no longer have horses, but just use them for carry of the guns. That leaves the butt stock exposed and at least one model 94 has gotten a few scratches. So, these covers are worth it to me and they also give me the spare ammo which is my primary purpose for them. Like your 444, I have a Guide Gun that will get one. Here is a picture of a Rossi 454 from Guns Magazine that gave me the idea as I have that gun and making the same upgrades to mine.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Just a thought - might give you some ideas:
How about wetting the leather to soften it, then lacing it on the gun and letting it dry? That would "form-fit" it to your gun. You could wrap the stock with plastic wrap first so the dampness doesn't get to it. Then use a conditioner like "Sno-Seal" (beeswax based) on cartridge loops or any other location that you need to be softened up.

(I've never tried this on a lace-on buttstock cover but I have used this method for other leather projects.
About the only leather cover I currently use it on a Rossi lever action. That one fit well enough with some padding in the butt - to lengthen the LOP to fit me better. But it's not a lace-on type - it fit tightly after I added the padding so I didn't need to wet-shrink it)

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
I something similar on my synthetic stock black powder to bring my cheek weld line of sight in line with my site. I leave it on all the time. It’s a synthetic stock, so I’m not concerned with the finish, but I have not found grit or crud under it. It’s low use though. Not super relevant to you, but that’s my only experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts