close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advise Needed

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by william sussman, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Well, took my SG CMP Springfield out yesterday and fired off some rounds. It was great and loved the smooth action. It is a great weapon. I noticed one thing that does not seem to be normal. As I inspected the ejected shells, I noticed many (perhaps 80%) had a flat spot in the forward narrow part of the shell right up where the round had been in it. In a few cases this flat spot was actually a crimp or bend. When ejected the shells left in about the 2PM direction. Any thoughts on this?

2. just the shells wacking the op rod hump or the side of the receiver.. no biggie... remember.. the weapon was designed without the thought of saving brass..... every Garand treats brass differently..

3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    its also designed to eject to the 2'oclock position , so the guy next to you doesnt get peppered with hot brass.

4. John Mclean

John Mclean G&G Newbie

Sounds like everthing is working just right, totally normal.

5. TY1ON

TY1ON G&G Newbie

MY DOES THE SAME THING. JUST EXAMINE YOUR BRASS A LITTLE CLOSER WHEN RELOADING. CONGRATS, YOU HAVE A FINE WEAPON!

6. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday G&G Newbie

Good answers everyone!

7. DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY G&G Newbie

Yup, normal ejection and most of my brass usually has the dent on the casings too. In the beginning I thought maybe the brass was landing on the concrete around me but what are the odds of it landing on the tip everytime like that? duh!! 8-o

Dave T

8. William, the 2pm ejection angle is about right for a properly lubed M1. An improperly lubed gun will toss them out at 3, 4 or 5 pm. I keep mine lubed with the GI grease that you find in the tiny tubs at the gun shows. Last time I fired it from a bench rest, the rounds ejected at 2pm like they should and the clip landed in my shirt pocket! Usually the clip lands just to the right of the receiver and a couple of times on my head. Interesting.....
    Regards,
    WildBill