After all my griping and whining for 7 months...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BunnyWabbit, May 20, 2008.

1. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit G&G Evangelist

We finally sold our house.... woooo hoooo.:arms:

I do wish they would have gave me a kiss before they screwed me on the price. We had to come down $14,900 from our starting price.

But I am still grateful that I won't have to mow at two place after June 16th or pay two house payments. The Good Lord was looking out for us, he was just taking his time so he could teach me patience.

2. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

Congrats!! In the grand scheme of things, considering the current housing market, I don't think that price drop was highly unnatural.

3. CalifgirlinOk

CalifgirlinOk G&G Evangelist

That's Great BW...I know how you feel..!!!

4. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Well, did you learn patience? lol Congratulations on selling the house.

5. tlarkin

tlarkin Guest

How long was it on the market if you don't mind me asking? I just got approved for my first home loan, and am considering buying a home sometime soon. I keep hearing it is a buyer's market but prices haven't dropped in my neck of the woods really.

Congrats on selling your house, where abouts was it in NE KS?

6. BunnyWabbit

It was in Topeka. On the market since November 3rd. It was a 3br, 1 bath, 2 acres, 2 car garage, 1.5 stories.

Don't be afraid to offer less than asking price as the realtors are who sets up the starting price to begin with. Check the county appraisal value, plus that will usually tell you what the buyer bought the house for. When you place an offer, you can ask the seller to pay for your closing costs. FHA also has a program if you don't have a down payment called Ameridream that makes the seller pay a 3% down payment for you. It will all depend on how long a house has been on the market to what a seller is willing to do. We had an offer the first weekend on the market and should have took it because we would have made a lot more money. At the time, we thought the offer sucked and turned it down, thinking the house hadn't been on the market long enough to take a bad offer according to the realtor. Hindsite is 20/20 now. Just found out our realtor was extremely greedy. It wasn't until we had a coming to Jesus talk with her that we finally started dropping the price and getting offers.

Kind of, now I have to be patient until June 16th until it closes. At least I made the house payment through the end of June, so that's done.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  7. tlarkin

tlarkin Guest

Ah OK, I got family in Topeka, and even lived there for one year, I prefer KC, but that is me.

Yeah I got preapproved for 150k home loan and the whole FHA thing. I have researched it, but I am just kind of nervous buying something for that much money! If it isn't obvious I am a first time buyer.

I am looking and I may buy it all depends, I am for one a patient man, so I can wait till I get a deal I want. I don't need to buy a home, I just could buy one if I really wanted to.

Thanks for the tips.

8. BunnyWabbit

I would only buy if I were planning on staying put for a while. With the housing market the way it is, I couldn't even guess to when it will get better. The place we bought, we will die here. Especially after all this ya ya. We just loved this new place. I had 2 quail running around my truck in the driveway last night, 3 deer and 4 turkey in the back yard, geese in the next field over and humming birds just started coming in a couple days ago. Never had those at my other house. And best of all, a jet tub in the basement bathroom. No neighbors within 2 miles across the road, no neighbors within a mile to the left and 8 acres away on the right.

9. tlarkin

tlarkin Guest

Well, this is what I am thinking. I got 3 more years until my state pension is "vested," so I am definitely not going anywhere for at least 3 more years. Then if I decide to go further my career and live in that same home I have several options. For one, I want to buy in Midtown, which is a great place to own a rental property. So, I could rent it out. My family owns commercial property in Midtown and I could easily have some of them look after it if I needed to move out of state. My little brother could live there and help rent it out if I move, he lives in town. If none of that happens I stay put.

I just want a garage, a deck for BBQ and drinking beers, no sharing walls, and a dog. I don't want to keep a dog in an Apartment, so I don't have one yet.

I have definitely thought all of that through, and I never go into anything with out actually reading the fine print. Should have seen me when I bought my last car, the guy was amazed I actually read the whole contract. My rent right now is extremely cheap. I mean I only pay $375 for a 700sq foot 1 bedroom apartment. I don't know any major city where you can get that price, except where I live. I live right outside of westport (with in walking distance) and want to buy a home in this area. I know if I had or wanted to move out I could easily make it a rental property. I have lived in several homes in the area (lived here 6 to 7 years now almost) and rented them all, and every time I have moved out it was rented out again with in a month or so. There is a huge market for rental homes here because it is the happening young person place to hang out.

I just am not sure if right now I want to start laying that much money down, and of course I am kind of scared making a 100,000+ dollar investment. My credit was good enough to qualify, and I got preapproved. I just need to find what I want to pay and see if I can get it I guess.

10. BunnyWabbit

I love Westport, that's a great area. Banks just figure out what you can afford "according to them". Doesn't take into account other things you may want or need down the road. Our house payment doubled when we bought the new house, and it was pretty intimidating (plus having the old house payment), but now I figured out we really spent a lot of money on stupid stuff before without anything to show for it, other than the husband was used to buying guns whenever he felt like it.