Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
10,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to put a new scope on my hunting AR 15 after it went under water during Hurricane Ian. while sighting it in, I noticed that the trigger didn't feel as good as some of my other ARs. ( its an old Bushmaster lower) it shoots very tight groups but with an occasional flyer or two. so, I am thinking about installing one of those drop in triggers. I know nothing about them and was wondering what advise other G&G members who use them could give me. I don't want to spend a fortune as its a medium range hunting carbine and not a target rifle. what do ya'll use?

· Registered
1,796 Posts
I've added the Rock River Arms 2 stage trigger to most of my ARs, I have their National Match trigger in my 5.56 and one of their std triggers in my 300 BO. They aren't drop in either but do have a good feel and can usually be picked up for less than $100. I've never owned a drop in trigger so can't say how these compare.

· Registered
10,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. I'll check them out.
I said drop in but it was out of my ignorance of what to call them. I'm interested in any improvement over the stock trigger.

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,515 Posts
I've added the Rock River Arms 2 stage trigger to most of my ARs, I have their National Match trigger in my 5.56 and one of their std triggers in my 300 BO. They aren't drop in either but do have a good feel and can usually be picked up for less than $100. I've never owned a drop in trigger so can't say how these compare.
^^^^^^^^^
THIS!
IMHO, these are the best for the money.
What got me on them originally was when I had a RRA LAR-8.
Now I have 3 different ones in my rifles. I also have a Geissele SSA trigger in my AR-10 and I really think it's not much better than the RRA ones. I'll honestly all need a tiny bit of "wear in" but they get nice and clean breaking once they do.

· Premium Member
1,080 Posts
I put a Palmetto State Armory 3.5 match tigger in one of my sons AR-15s today. It dropped right in, only took a few minutes. Very nice trigger. He said he got it on sale for $60 some dollars.

I have also used a Timney drop in trigger on my AR-10. Nice trigger, but a little more difficult to install. The model I purchased required a couple tiny set screws that were tricky to install with my old fat fingers.

· Registered
5,336 Posts
I’m partial to the Geissele and LaRue triggers. Subjectively, I think they are superior for the asking price. I prefer trigger kits to drop-ins though, so maybe my input misses the mark…

For a banger carbine I’ve tried the PSA offerings, both the enhanced polished and psa 2-stage triggers. I think they are better than stock kits but decided if I’m upgrading triggers it’s better to just spend the money on a Geissele or LaRue.

I prefer a really solid single stage for almost everything. A 2 stage is nice and I preferred them for a while when I was bench rest shooting more, but I’ve gone back to just buying decent single stage triggers.

· Registered
2,377 Posts
I’d never really been all that interested in high level triggers. Actually 10/22’s piqued my curiosity in that regard. Everybody on those forums talking about trigger work, and then a guy offering up a free tune-up on the first 10 guys to respond and send in their triggers. He actually lived less than 10miles away. So he showed me his technique, and it made quite a difference. Even bought another 10/22 used, that came with a Timney, that is an impressive trigger, I have never touched the adjustment on that one. I have shot a couple target 22’s ( CZ bolt guns) that had seriously scary triggers, way too light for anything but benchrest use.
Anyway, on to AR’s. I actually own a couple drop ins, that still haven’t been dropped in. They were Black Friday type deals, and do feel nice playing with them in hand, just haven’t found time to drop one in. My wife’s AR has the best trigger of our ARs, a geisselle (?) 2stage of some sort. My own all have the poor man’s trigger job done on them, the replacement grip screw with internal threads for a set screw. The set screw is tightened up until the safety won’t turn, and then backed off 1/4 turn. Takes out the creep, nothing more. But that makes a lot of difference to me. The trigger weight, unless really excessive, doesn’t faze me all that much. Must be the mechanic’s fingers.
I think those simple poor man’s trigger job grip screws are only about 10 bucks this time of year, I think I got mine from Joe Bob’s. A cheap and easy improvement, it may be enough for you, or may give you an appetite for a whole trigger. I actually have a couple poor poor man’s kits lying around here somewhere, a shorter grip screw and a set screw of the same thread size. Not as easy to install, but works the same. If someone wants to try one I could dig one out and send it.

· Registered
10,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been looking on line at all the different AR 15 triggers and wow! some of them cost more than I paid for the whole lower receiver! reverendg, you have got the cheapskate in me interested in that poor man's grip screw thing, but I can't find any info on it. what exactly are they called? link? I couldn't find them on Joe Bob's sight either.

· Registered
3,945 Posts
I have a CMC flat trigger in my 300blk. I think it’s a 2lb break. Whatever it is, it’s great.
I have a 3.5 lb. CMC on a S&W Sport II. Super light single stage. I love it.

There was nothing wrong with the OEM trigger, but.....

I’m partial to the Geissele
I got a Geissele with a Daniel Defense AR as an exclusive offer from my LGS. I don't have a lot of time with it, but it feels pretty good.

There are a lot of triggers out there, drop-in or otherwise.

CMC had a very good installation video so it didn't scare a novice like me. Important note: You'll want a wee bit of blue threadlock. I don't know about other brands, but the CMC I have uses screws for mounting.

· Registered
2,377 Posts
I have been looking on line at all the different AR 15 triggers and wow! some of them cost more than I paid for the whole lower receiver! reverendg, you have got the cheapskate in me interested in that poor man's grip screw thing, but I can't find any info on it. what exactly are they called? link? I couldn't find them on Joe Bob's sight either.
Yup. Joe Bob outfitters, $9.95. AR15 grip screw trigger adjuster. I didn’t change the springs out, just the grip screw. The hardest part about installing one is making sure you don’t let the spring and detent fly when you remove the grip. Small parts, easy to lose. But not a difficult task, takes 10 minutes.

· Registered
5,336 Posts
Yup. Joe Bob outfitters, $9.95. AR15 grip screw trigger adjuster. I didn’t change the springs out, just the grip screw. The hardest part about installing one is making sure you don’t let the spring and detent fly when you remove the grip. Small parts, easy to lose. But not a difficult task, takes 10 minutes.
I'm impressed. Simple, but should be nicely effective for any AR that doesn't warrant a high $$ trigger. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

· Registered
10,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
very interesting! for that price I'm gonna have to give one a try. thanks!

· Registered
10,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, I ordered one of those grip screw adjustable trigger things. I installed it in my hunting AR 15 a couple of days ago. today I got a chance to try it out. what a difference!! no creep and the trigger felt great. now I am going to have to order one for each of my other AR lowers! what a great CHEAP fix! thanks for that info reverendg!

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,515 Posts
I gotta get one of those the next time I work up an order from them 👍

1 - 18 of 18 Posts