close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Age and Service

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by taras, Aug 7, 2002.

1. By no means do I suggest all vets are old, you could be in your 20's and served in a theatre of war. I wonder who or at least how the oldest vet we got on the system is.
    My branch of the R.C.L. has at least 2 WWII vets, but they are getting few and far between. Just wondered if any one on the forums dates back that far, sure would like to hear some stories if so.
    Thanks for my freedom, Keep 'er Cool:cool:

2. NOT THAT OLD

KOREA . USAF 307 BW 372 BS B-29 1952
    TOTAL OF 33 YEARS.

DANA

3. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Not me, I've only been in 14 years so far. "Young whipper-snapper!"

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I'm post-Vietnam era myself, but some of my shooting buddies at the range are Korean War vets, a couple even go back to WWII. We lost one of the WWII vets a couple years ago, and I had learned much from him and the other guys. They are a vanishing resource.

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

We lose hundreds of the greatest generation everyday. They are the keepers of the flame of history and someday they will all be gone and that will sadden me deeply. Lost two this month at my AMVETS post!

6. U.S. Army, 11 years active. Regan through Bush years, Honduras, Desert Shield/Storm, now in IRR.

7. Sarge

Sarge G&G Enthusiast

I doubt that I'm the oldest on here, but I joined the Navy 10 weeks after my 17th birthday, on 7 Jun 53. Got a disability retirement from the Army on 8 Sep 71.
    Sarge

8. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    :) Howd an ole Navy salt end up with the name Sarge?
    Oh,
    2 years before retirement. if I call it quits at 20. I remember sitting in Okinawa (circa '85) waiting to fight the Russians when Reagan bombed Lybia. We all thought it was a big deal, every day event now. I still don't foregive the French for making our F-111 boys go on that long trip. Good thing the jets still had ashtrays back then;)

9. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

We need to bomb the french, nasty, obnoxious, rude little weasels that they are! :p

10. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Do you remember the only thing we bombed by mistake in Lybia? We 'accidently' bombed the French embassy. I figure our aim would have been better if the pilots had had more sleep. Thanks for the extra 5,000 air miles France, Build a new house!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Just checked my thread, and noticed I had a little typo. I meant to say my Legion has at least 2 WWI vets, not WWII. Woops,sorry.
    Come on feelas' gotta be some older buckeroos out there.