close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ages in the Bible-new discussion

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SPOCAHP ANAR, Jun 16, 2002.

1. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

I asked a friend about ages in the bible. Adam was what 900 yrs old, yet it decreases later in the bible. His theory on this was that the farther you traveled from the lineage of Adam the shorter the life span would be. Which actually makes sense genetically if God made Adam as the perfect specimen of man. Aslo on this subject does anyone out there believe God only created Adam and Eve and that we are all decendants from them?

I believe in Genesis it talks of Adams sons taking wives. Where did they come from?

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

A lot of genesis seems to have come from older Sumerian mythology. The Sumerians, like many other short lived primitive people, seem to have measured age in MONTHS (or "Moons", for those of you in Rio Linda).

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I'm not even getting involved this time, people agree to disagree, thats human nature. I say there is GOD and we'll all find out on judgement day, so be careful what you say or believe in... wouldn't hurt to be on the safe side...would it?

4. I'm with you NRAJOE I'm staying out of this one to.
    Ploitics is one thing but I don't do religon.

5. SPOCAHP ANAR

I would have thought....

I expected to get more feedback on this one. I asked this ? when I was younger and was told that god created other people after Adam. Don't really know for sure but whose to say he did,nt create others after adam.

6. Well I feel the same, but oh well. Can't you people take a leap of faith and just trust the Bible--instead of trying to make an analysis of scripture. Always trying to disprove the Bible. Just what point are you trying to make? And Klaus--mythology--give me a break. If you want me to stay out of this then don't bring it up. I don't have the scientific mind of you other gentlemen--so what. God created science and everything else. Like I said before science discoverys are backing up the Bible. It's sure taking it's time.
    Phacopsrana: What do you mean other people? God created every person on this earth.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2002
  7. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I know that God exists. As far as getting involved in this discussion, I am with NRAJoe and Colt45 on this. If someone asks me why I believe in a higher being that has never been seen, I just tell them that you can't see the wind, but it's there.

8. I believe that every human being is born with the sense of a supreme being ruling over thier life.

9. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

You can measure air. You can take it's temperature, masure it's pressure, run a smple through a chromatograph to determine it's elemental makeup. You can also measure it's velocity (wind) about a dozen different ways.

10. Klaus: do you have to be so technical. You are just messing with Calvin, aren't you?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2002
  11. SPOCAHP ANAR

Why are people so narrowminded and scared.

I believe in God; I also believe in the the science behind God's actions. The bible is far from a precise document and at many times is incomplete or just plain vague.

I enjoy the mysteries of the bible and discussing them with whomever has interest. But there are some things to consider first. To just say its in the bible therefore I believe it is sort of narrow minded. There have been ideological scholars that have debated the biblical teachings for years and are no less a Christian than you or I. Secondly it should be known that white men, not God, in about 700 ad +/- sat down and deciphered the biblical writings and decided which books would be put into the bible. The bible itself is not an absolute as there are books that have been lost forever, and that some versions contain different chapters than others.

This is not to challenge anyone's faith here. While I can't see the wind, but know its there; I also felt it worthwhile to listen during chemistry when we were discussing the proerties of gasses.

12. Sorry I don't agree. I think that believing everything that science reveals is narrow minded. Just because the Discovery channel says it true--is it? I have listened to scientists who are christians and they have a totaly different view. You may believe in God, but apparently thats where it ends.

13. SPOCAHP ANAR

Ya know if I asked any religious leader a question I had concerning biblical text I seriously doubt he would say Well God said it so there it is. If thats all he said to me I would go find a different Church, of course one would have to attend church.....

14. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Anyone interested in how biblical prophesies are coming true to this very day go: www.thetrumpet.com . You can also get their magazine free that is done in a Times magazine format. It tells of world problems in this time and age and what to expect in the future. It will truly open your eyes!