Aguila SSS Sniper

Discussion in 'Ammunition Reports' started by animalspooker, Aug 10, 2020.

1. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

Dug out some of my ammo to see what it was capable of with my CZ 457 American. It wasn't suppressed yesterday, but probably will be when I have to go to the rooftop.

Here are the two beauties, and I must say they paired like 'Peas and Corn,' per Forest Gump. I had a sheet of 'shoot and see targets' with 16 little bullseyes on it. Took me about 4 to get the POI I wanted at 25 yards. Then I touched red (about the size of a penny) for the next 8 shots. I was really impressed. Then moved target to 50 yards, and the next 5 touched red as well. My concern was the weight of this SSS Sniper bullet causing me to shoot rainbows, but the poi at 25 and at 50 were real close. Hopefully I'm not hitting the same POI on the way up and then the way down, but that is possible.

Don't know if you've shot the SSS, but it is a 60 grain bullet in what looks to be a 22 short casing. I have heard of these shell's effectiveness in taking down larger game, although I've never shot them at anything but paper.

They are subsonic, so shooting one suppressed could be just the ticket once the SHTF.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Target won't download because, well, I'm some kind of idiot. Anyway, anyone have any experience with the Aquila SSS Sniper SubSonic?

TXplt, MosinRuger, ChaZam and 3 others like this.
  2. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

'Spooker-

I had a Mark III that ate that round like candy. Very accurate, even the keyholes. Haven't tried it out of the CZ 455 yet.

animalspooker, ChaZam and jwrauch like this.

3. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    My last Ruger MK II that I owned shot groups like a laser beam with them from a rest at 25yds.
    Counting the pulls about 1" at that distance.

animalspooker, Jaison and ChaZam like this.
  4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Hmm, I've never seen that stuff even.
    I would like to try it in my Heritage RR revolver since it shoots some Federal standard velocity 40gr. lead stuff quite well.

animalspooker and Jaison like this.
  5. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

I'm not sure what the idea behind it was, but this stuff hits hard, and is suprisingly accurate considering it must be traveling at the speed of a hand thrown rock!

6. Jaison

There are videos of guys testing the round. With the better cameras, it's possible to see the round hit the targets.

animalspooker likes this.
  7. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado

I've got a box of that ammo. I shot 1 mag, well most of it, through a friends sig moquito .22lr with a suppressor, and about halfway through the mag the slide literally broke in two, it slipt right where the ejection port was cut. now i dont know if it was due to the ammo or the gun was already cracked, but be careful with that stuff in semi autos. im sure its just fine in your bolt action rifle.

8. redcaddy51

redcaddy51 G&G Evangelist

I have used the SSS extensively, it will not cycle in my Ruger Mk. 1 suppressed, (I normally lock the slide anyway, to counter "chamber pop") but will work most 10-22's, marlin 60's and so forth. My 52 Winnie shoots it very well out to 50 yds. but the hold over at 100 yds. is excessive.

I find it very effective on predators up to the size of 'yote's, under 100 Yds. then I change to a 22 MAG Chipmunk pistol, also suppressed.

RED

9. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    actually i've got quite a few boxes of what i call " exotic " .22lr. i'll have to dig some out and put a few through the heritage rough rider, that sounds like fun!

Jaison likes this.
  10. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist

I used it out of my CZ 452 to dispatch a problem raccoon . No problem.

Jaison likes this.
  11. Jaison

Was thinking about trying it out of a 455 this weekend. If there's any left in the stores, that is.

Love those CZ rifles.

BigEd63, TXplt and cjleete like this.
  12. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Got some subs but saving them for when I get or move one of my specwar fittings to the MP-15/22. They won't cycle the action but will fire just fine.

It's not the best idea to shoot .22LR through a centerfire suppressor (like an Omega or K-556) due to lead buildup and crap from the .22LR round.

But I figure a few won't hurt when they're used very sparingly to dispatch some critters where noise might be a problem.