close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Air Force in dire need for Pilots !!!!!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by MangesMade, Mar 21, 2002.

1. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

My neighbor and his brother heard the Air Force was needing Pilots, so they both went down to enlist. The recruiter ask one of them what his skills were? He said "Eye's piles it" The Recruiter said " OK, your a pilot huh?" Duh, Yes Sir! Well we need some good pilots, just have a seat in the next room.
    The Recruiter called the other brother in and ask him what his skills were, he said "Eye's a wood cutter" The Recruiter told him he was sorry but the Air Force didn't have any use for a "Wood Cutter". He ask the Recruiter " Well if you don't have me to cut the wood, hows my brother gonna pile it up"?

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Well, they can always encourage one of the big cable companies to have a "Top Gun" movie marathon and a new generation of morons will rush to join the AIR FORCE so that they can go to Top Gun and fly F-14s off of ships, like in the movie. This actually happened when the movie first came out.

3. Shaun

Shaun G&G Newbie

they will be in for a suprise if they try the airforce plane's and a ship -- since its only navy jets that would use a carrier and I think Navy planes are the only one's with tailhooks

4. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

Most Airforce aircraft do have tail hooks, but not intened for landing on a Carrier. Carrier type aircraft have stouter landing gear also...Air force planes landing on air strips don't need the beefed up landing gear...Oil Well, you have to excuse someone that calls a JEEP a car!!!!! LOL

Last edited: Mar 22, 2002
  5. Shaun

Shaun G&G Newbie

Very True manges

6. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

HELLO!!!!!! That was the whole point of my post. When the movie Top Gun came out, there was a big surge in Air Force enlistments because people thought Top Gun was about the Air Force, despite the Navy planes, ships, and ranks.

7. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

USA
    Some AF jets have been outfitted with tailhooks, for ground type emergencies. not for landing on carriers.

8. jerry

USA
    "hello", KLAUS.:wave:

9. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

this is another one of those threads that pop up that are 3 or 4 years olds

10. Back when Moby Dick was a minnow and I was in the Navy, they tried to do a little cross-training and teach some Air Force pilots to do carrier landings. It didn't work; carrier pilots don't really "land" as much as they fly into the ship. It went against every instinct and reflex drilled into those poor AF pilots, and after enough ditched planes they gave it up.

11. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    From what I saw of the F-4, there were almost NONE that didn't have a Navy Tailhook. All of the Air Force F-4's, that I have ever seen were so equipped, and I was told that it was cheaper to equip them all the same for all services. Sort of like Henry Ford equipping all of his Model "T"'s the same and offering them in any color you wanted, as long as that color was black, cause it was cheaper that way.

The F-4 shown in the picture available at the following site was an Air Force Thunderbird Aircraft, and I have seen it up close and personal (and have pictures of its "Tail Hook", somewhere).

http://www.elite.net/castle-air/

By the way if you ever find yourself in the middle of California, look for this Air Museum, it is a great display of our beautiful Military and Naval Aircraft. Beale AFB near Sacramento is supposed to have more than 1 SR-71 on display, while this Castle Air Museum has only one on display.

`

12. jerry

USA
    Lead Sleds Rock!

13. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

I remember those phantoms smoked like a coal fired locomotive

14. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Both the Convair F-106A/B Delta Dart and the McDonnell F-101B Voodoo interceptors I worked on at Tyndall AFB had tailhooks - but only for emergency landings. They also normally used Drag chutes when landing, especially the F-106. That would get messy on a carrier! :confused:
    It's interesting watching a USAF pilot and a Navy/Marine pilot taking off and landing. The USAF guy babies his aircraft, while the Navy/Marine flies it like he stole it! The Canadian pilots are much more aggressive too. :right:

15. jerry

USA
    "The USAF guy babies his aircraft"

Very motivational to do so when maintenance threatens to kick ones butt ;)

16. according to a licenced instructor, an Airforce recruiter, and everyone who watches me play flight sims, I'm a natural pilot.

I would've joined the Airforce but they didn't like my math scores.

17. jerry

USA
    Yes it does:09:

18. When I was aboard USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) the arresting gear room got their signals crossed during recovery ops, and had aircraft types being recovered out of order, the first 4 aircraft to be recovered where supposed to be F14 Tomcats, then 3 A6 Intruders. They had it as 3 and 4. There is a SUBSTANTIAL difference in weight between a fully loaded F14 and an A6 (bout 15 tons) well Tomcat #4 hits the number 3 wire perfect hook but doesn't stop and is rapidly rushing towards the round down and the Atlantic Ocean. Pilot executes what they call a donut braking manuever (trying to turn the AC 180 degrees) almost had when the wing tips edge over the side and Pilot decides a command eject is now his only option, so out these boys come the RIO lands about 100 aft of the AC and the pilot is seen floating into the North Atlantic on the Port side. the AC finally stopped moving forward and was only held in place by that arresting wire still firmly attached. We recovered the Pilot safely he were a wee cold but survived. Oh and anudder difference between Air Force Pilots and Naval Aviators is when that Air Force Pilot lands he immediately throttles down the Naval Aviator when he feels the deck advances the throttles to FMP (Full Military Power) just in case he misses the wire or it snaps and he has to do a touch and go.

19. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

After reading this I refuse to ride with either AF or Navy.I will walk. sam.

20. jerry

USA
    Unless it's a C130, then you go full reverse.

That's how you get a Herky on an aircraft carrier.

Aerospaceweb.org | Ask Us - C-130 Aircraft Carrier Operations

VID C130 Hercules Landing On A Aircraft Carrier Video

Cool story BTW ezearln.