close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Airport Security...Ala be praised

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

2nd Disturbing news stories.
    Airport Security Gets An 'F'

March 25, 2002

(CBS/AP)

(CBS) Screeners at 32 U.S. airports failed to find numerous guns, knives and simulated explosives in tests carried out by the government in the months after the Sept. 11 terror attack, USA Today reports.

The newspaper said undercover investigators were able to get 70 percent of the knives and 30 percent of the guns they were carrying past airport screeners. Simulated explosives got through undetected 60 percent of the time.

Additionally, the government investigators were able to secretly board planes or get to airport tarmacs without detection 48 percent of the time.

USA Today said the test results were outlined in a memo written by the Transportation Department's inspector general. The memo said investigators conducted 783 tests at screening checkpoints and hundreds of additional tests in other airport areas. The Transportation Department declined to identify the airports that were tested.

The tests were carried out amid heightened airport security that followed the Sept. 11 attacks but before the newly created Transportation Security Administration took control of screening checkpoints.

The new security agency is hiring 30,000 federal employees to take over passenger screening. On Monday, it began training the first 300 of 1,200 senior supervisors, who will run the airport checkpoints. The other 900 will be trained over the next three weeks. The supervisors all have law enforcement, security or military backgrounds, Turk said.

Following several well-publicized post-Sept. 11 incidents, Transportation Secretary Norman Y. Mineta in October ordered government officials to close airport concourses and rescreen passengers.

Security breaches caused the government to evacuate 59 airport concourses or terminals between Oct. 30 and March 7, forcing 2,456 flights to be delayed or canceled, the FAA says. Passengers on another 734 flights had to leave their seats and go through security a second time, the FAA said.

Former FAA security chief Billie Vincent said the report was not surprising, considering the checkpoints were staffed by the same low-paid, poorly trained screeners who were there before Sept. 11.

In addition, Vincent said, current equipment cannot detect explosives, nor can it detect many varieties of cutting tools.

"The technology at the screening points is not there," Vincent said. "The current metal detectors won't do the job. If you turn it high enough to detect that much metal, you will have an alarm on every person going through."

Here is the link
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/03/25/attack/main504553.shtml

:( :rolleyes: :eek:

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Thats not good at all. Most importantly they released the information, to the public for which anyone can get a hold of

3. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

OH Well

I wish I could say I was surprised, but... Did they say what percentage of these workers that failed the tests were already federalized?

4. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I wish they would let us CCW people carry while flying. The other solution would be unilateral usage of this new xray machine that looks through your cloths in very close detail

5. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Hay Shaun they are testing this new stuff here in Orlando..Ill post the link to todays newspaper artical on it...It showed how a man looks in with this mechine....(It shows his butt quit clearly)...It seems that there is a lot of contraversey about this...since as the artical shows the operator gets a pretty good look at you....plan is to use males for males...females for females... but I BET someone will say well what about alternative life style people or some clown will copy the images and post them on the net..
    Here is the link
    http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/localstoryA14615A.htm

Links not working so here is the artical... or use the link then go to Arcives..

Airport tests new security devices

Passengers can opt to try screening equipment in Orlando

By John McCarthy
    FLORIDA TODAY

If you fly out of Orlando International Airport during the next few months, security personnel might ask whether you would go through some additional passenger screening.

Gus Jones of Argenbright Security and Brigitte Craig of Orlando International Airport Authority demonstrate the Ion Track EntryScan 3 at Orlando International Airport. The machine is designed to detect explosives and narcotics by circulating air around the subject, then analyzing the vapors. Image copyright © 2002, Craig Bailey, FLORIDA TODAY.

Don't worry; it doesn't mean they suspect you of being a threat. The airport is the operational test site for the next generation of airport security-screening devices.

Starting as early as today, random passengers leaving from Gates 60 to 129 will be asked by test engineers from the National Safe Skies Alliance if they would like to volunteer to try one or more of six screening systems being tested.

The new systems go well beyond the metal detectors that now guard gates at the nation's airports. One machine can analyze the contents of sealed bottles to see whether duty-free liquor bottles really contain liquor and not something hazardous. Another can detect trace amounts of explosives on a person's clothing. A third can look through a person's clothing to uncover concealed weapons.

Though the test of the new devices was planned before Sept. 11, the terrorist attacks have greatly increased the interest in new security equipment.

"The industry is looking at new technology to enhance security," said Brigitte Craig, director of security for the airport.

With Orlando's economy so dependent on tourism, the need to make travelers feel safe is especially vital in Central Florida.

"It is very important. The economy of the entire area is dependent on people being confident in traveling," airport spokeswoman Carolyn Fennell said.

The new machines being tested:

EntryScan explosives and narcotics detector. This machine blows a series of quick puffs of air on passengers. The vapors and particles the puffs shake loose from the person are collected and instantly analyzed. The machine can detect trace amounts of heroin, dynamite or other drugs or explosives. A separate scanner checks carry-on bags for explosives.

Advanced weapons-detection portal. As passengers walk through this machine, which looks like a standard metal detector, a scanner analyzes signals coming from the person at the same time it takes a digital picture of the passenger. The picture is displayed on a computer screen with any potential hazards pinpointed on the picture.

A dual X-ray baggage scanner. Current machines X-ray bags from only one direction. The test machine scans bags from the side and above, giving screeners a much better "look" at the contents. "If you put a gun in and screen it, then you can't see it from the direction it's screened," said Ken Blankenship, a test engineer with Safe Skies, of the current system. "But this way, you can see it from the side."

A liquid explosives detector. This machine uses Magnetic Resonance Imaging to analyze the liquid contents of sealed bottles. The scanner can quickly distinguish harmless liquids from flammable and explosive liquids. It also can detect dissolved drug substances or unreported alcohol content.

A full-body scanner. This machine can detect weapons hidden beneath a person's clothing. A low-intensity X-ray allows a screener to "see" through a person's clothes. And unlike metal detectors, the scanner can spot weapons made out of plastic or other materials.

Kevin Walker of Argenbright Security demonstrates a Dual-View X-Ray scanner at Orlando International Airport. The machine gives the operator two ways to view scanned baggage: from above and from the side. Image copyright © 2002, Craig Bailey, FLORIDA TODAY.

The machine, the Rapiscan Secure 1000, has raised privacy concerns. The American Civil Liberties Union, which has called the process a "virtual strip search," is opposed to the widespread use of the scanner.

But while the machine produces an unclothed image of the person, it still is less intrusive than a strip search or a pat down, and takes only seconds, Craig said. "The screener doesn't see the passenger and the passenger doesn't see the screener.

Male screeners will be used for male passengers and female screeners for female passengers, Craig said. The image is deleted from the computer as soon as the passenger is cleared.

The National Safe Skies Alliance is a not-for-profit organization that tests airport security equipment for the federal government.

Orlando is one of two airports that are permanent test sites for the alliance. The new satellite terminals at the airport make it a perfect test site, Safe Skies spokeswoman Robin Stoller said.

"The airport was designed with security in mind," Stoller said. "What a lot of other airports are having to do is retrofit to accommodate security."

Stoller wouldn't say how long the test will run or how many people the group expects to screen. "It will go until we get a statistically significant sample," she said.

She said she hoped passengers would remember Sept. 11, when they are asked to volunteer to test the equipment. "It's the chance for average passengers to do something patriotic. . .to improve airport security."

Last edited: Mar 26, 2002
  6. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I won't be a volunteer for this one its too much of an invasion of privacy in my book -- what happened to looking at the passengers that are a real threat. Lets see we all know the profile of a terrorist don't we

7. Oxford

Oxford Retired Moderator

Doglips: Recently I flew out of Kansas City International. Had to laugh at the security's procedure. Everyone ahead of me, after passing through the metal detector, had to remove their shoes for inspections. They just waved me on through. Then, this is what I really laughed about...this old lady (probably 85 or more) sitting in a wheel chair was frisked thoroughly. Had to have her shoes taken off by someone else...she couldn't bend over. Then she had to be pushed forward in her wheelchair so they could stick the wand behind her back. Guess they were looking for guns or other contraband. Then they had her empty her purse. This all cracked me up as I had already walked right on through without anything but putting my keys in a tray for the x-ray machine to tell me they were keys. No other checks, like the magic wand or removal of shoes, etc.

This is partly why the lines are so long. Guess I didn't fit the profile they were looking for.

Found out that 1 1/2 hours was plenty of time to arrive early for a flight. Suppose it could vary depending upon how many flights are involved about the same time.

Oxford

Last edited: Mar 26, 2002