Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks, I'm trying to figure out what I should do. I currently own a Romanian WASR-10 and I'm wanting to get 3 of those or Yugo versions, but the only think keeping me from getting them is money. I work part time and attend school, so getting more money isnt really an option. I was looking at getting 3 Yugo SKS's and put Tapco stocks and 20 round mags on them to make them more like an AK.

What I want to know is:
Am I making a good decision or a bad decision?
What are the major disadvantages of a SKS and will they affect combat ability?
What is your opinion on what I should do?

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
OK folks, I'm trying to figure out what I should do. I currently own a Romanian WASR-10 and I'm wanting to get 3 of those or Yugo versions, but the only think keeping me from getting them is money. I work part time and attend school, so getting more money isnt really an option. I was looking at getting 3 Yugo SKS's and put Tapco stocks and 20 round mags on them to make them more like an AK.

What I want to know is:
my first question is why 3?

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Yes, why? I'm sure you have a reason, but wouldn't it be better to spread your money around a bit and buy some real rifles with hunting applications? Unless you're a survivalist putting together a small fire support team.
A lot of whitetails, hogs and predators have fallen to the 7.62x39. SKS is a rugged inexpensive and very reliable rifle for plinking and hunting.

Sorry, Just can't figure out what the difference is between an SKS and a "real rifle".

·
Banned
1,085 Posts

What I want to know is:
I look at the SKS from the point of view of Murphy's law.

"If you keep messing around with something, you will eventually screw it up."

Unless you just want to play around with it, fine. If you want to keep it in combat mode, just clean it up and shoot it.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
I look at the SKS from the point of view of Murphy's law.

"If you keep messing around with something, you will eventually screw it up."

Unless you just want to play around with it, fine. If you want to keep it in combat mode, just clean it up and shoot it.
LOL!!! So true!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, why? I'm sure you have a reason, but wouldn't it be better to spread your money around a bit and buy some real rifles with hunting applications? Unless you're a survivalist putting together a small fire support team.
I am. I have everything else I want that I can get right now, but that is pretty much what I'm wanting it for. Just defense against undesireable and and chaos.

·
Registered
294 Posts
YOU DONT REALLY NEED A SKS IF YOU HAVE A WASR-10 THE SKS IS NOT ANY MORE ACCURATE THAN THE WASR-10 PLUS IN MY EXPERIENCE THE TAPCO MAGS DID NOT WORK PERFECT WITHOUT SOME SANDING SO AND IN GENERAL MOST PEOPLE WOULD SAY THAT THE AK IS SUPERIOR TO THE SKS

AND YOU ALL READY HAVE A 7.62X39 GUN WHY NOT SAVE UP DURING SCHOOL AND GET AR-15 IN 223 OR 308 FOR HUNTING OR JUST PLAIN FUN BECAUSE I WOULD SAY THAT AN AR-15 PLATFORM IS FAR SUPERIOR TO ANY AK OR SKS IN ACCURACY AND SCOPE ABILITY AND ABOUT JUST AS RELIABLE I KIND REGRET GETTIN MY SKS BECAUSE I CANT SCOPE IT AND I WOULD LIKE TO SCOPE MY HUNTING RIFLES FOR ACCURACY REASONS

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hey to each his own. I would say go with which ever you can afford as both are for all practical purposes the same. I know there are minor differences but as far as accuracy and reliability they are so similar that there is little difference.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
A lot of whitetails, hogs and predators have fallen to the 7.62x39. SKS is a rugged inexpensive and very reliable rifle for plinking and hunting.

Sorry, Just can't figure out what the difference is between an SKS and a "real rifle".
Take a bolt action rifle in 30-06 out and do some shooting at 200+ yards, then compare it to what an SKS will do. Then look at the relatively puny ballistics of the SKS versus the '06. Then try to hunt varmints with an SKS and see if it's accurate enough for varminting out to any respectable distance as compared to a bolt action .223, etc. I dunno, are they? The few I've handled weren't. They're terrific alley cleaners, though.
That's what I meant by a "real" rifle. I'm not saying the SKS doesn't have some sporting applications, but they're an inferior choice for such. The 7.62 Russian round doesn't have the power of a true hunting cartrdge or the ultra-high velocity of a varmint cartrdge, and the typical assault rifles it's chambered for aren't accurate enough to fullfuill either role well except at relatively short range.
I think. I could be wrong. It's been almost 20 years since I've handled one, are they better now?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd try one yugo sks first and see how that goes. Just make sure the rifle is section 922r compliant. I have a tapco 20 round mag and it works great in my yugo and I didn't need to sand it. I do believe you can never have too many rifles, but try out one yugo sks first. :)

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
i got a norinco sks

my dad bought it for me when i was a wee lad, back before 1994 (take a guess why he did it)

anywho.....I FREAKIN LOVE IT

yes, aks are great and i need one eventually, but for now, sks all the way (if i had to choose that or the cetme to take into battle, i might just take the sks)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I would go for the AK, but only 1...think about it...if you're in a survival type of jam, then you may be on the move...how many guns can you really carry with you? I would want to have an AK...lots of ammo, and a good sidearm along with a knife. Why waste money on 3 or 4 of the same rifle...just don't make sense. But, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The SKS is a longer gun, not as compact. I wouldn't put an extended mag on one either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would go for the AK, but only 1...think about it...if you're in a survival type of jam, then you may be on the move...how many guns can you really carry with you? I would want to have an AK...lots of ammo, and a good sidearm along with a knife. Why waste money on 3 or 4 of the same rifle...just don't make sense. But, that's just my opinion.
I'm not going to carry 3 diffrent rifles, I've studied enough to know that, thanks. I want 3 of 4 diffrent ones because I want other people to carry them.

Also, I'm not using these for hunting, these are for defense. I have other weapons I'm going to use for hunting.

·
Сергей Иванович Мосин.
2,555 Posts
SKS would work, but I'd lean towards an AK.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts