Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing Ive always liked about the m-16, is its accuracy, when I was in nam we had the a1 version, and you know the problems there, the ammo was beefed up, stick ammo, and gummed the the thing up,and no proper cleaning tools, I really dont no much about either one, remember it was just an appliance for me, to get the hell out of dodge, we never used the ak much because if you did you would attract fire, i have an aks(keng-poly tech) now and I hate the sights, and the 16 inch barrel is inaccurate as hell, also its crude, the m-16 is great, but you have to clean the dam thing every chance you get, ive seen some posts about the m-14, forget it, you could not hit your grand mothers a-ss, with one on auto, I still think the m-16 is better than the ak, properly takin care off

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
i never liked the 16's at all! mine always jammed or double fed . when i first touched one in basic i thought "if the dang thing needs a forward assist its gotta be a piece-o-crap!" and i was right! just in basic the thing jammed every other shot just about.clean dirty didnt matter. the armorer would look at it and say it was fine...ugh! so finally i got some time to myself on a field exercise and slammed the stock against a tree and shattered it and took it to the armorer to be replaced. the one i got after that was ok but still jammed alot. sand and 16's dont mix! but when i was in aberden i shot some ak's and whjat they say is true,you can open the bolt throw a handfull of sand in it shake out the excess and slam a mag in and shoot it all day long! i agree with ya on the sites though! i never liked open sites on anything.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Originally posted by NRAJOE
AK...AK...AK...AK!
whats a matter NRAJOE??? sounds like your retching:throwup:

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I have heard the AK 74 is a much more accurate weapon then the AK47. I love AR15s and AR10s as sporting rifles (I don't spend much time wading through water or crawling in sand when I hunt) but I do believe they are just too "tight" for combat conditions. The AK74 with the smaller round puts holes in the black at 200 yards with no problem all day, even if you just dug it out of your dung pile hiding place. I think AK 74s also have a "slower" twist in the rifling that give the bullets the "tumble" effect when striking a target. The AR15 is a hell of a good sportsman's rifle but I don't think the M16 will ever achieve the status of good combat rifle.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I DON'T LIKE THE "16"

Eugene Stoner realized the shortcomings too. thats why he designed the AR-18. a much better weapon, but politics being what they are, the gummint wasn't about to drop the rifle that was just adopted.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
When the going gets tough,the thinking man gets the AK. imho:assult:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Some points:

1) Most people are actually familiar with the AKM (AK Modified), not the AK-47. The original AK-47 design was only manufactured from 1947-1955 (entirely in the USSR, I believe). The differences aren't too dramatic, but the AKM has the stamped receiver and a few internal simplifications. AK-47s had the milled receiver. Later Kalashnikovs that have been manufactured with a milled receiver are still of the AKM design.

2) AK-47s were supposedly a little more accurate than the AKMs that followed. I honestly couldn't say.

3) The M-16 series and AK-74 had better be much more accurate, because the cartridges are about the bare minimum for a military rifle.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,861 Posts
Some good points.
I have about zero experience with the AK. The guys I spoke to who were "toting" every day said they did clean frequently. In Afghanistan, where one of our troops was KIA, one of the guys I talked to said he'd halt the convoy at least every 4 hours to clean (field clean) weapons even if not fired. This turned out to be 3 to 4 times per day. Even if my priamary duty weapon (M-16) was in the armory, I'd take a moment to make a personal visit to make sure it was clean.

Just another tool given by Uncle Sugar to work with I soppose.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats always been a big problem with the m-16, you gotta keep it clean, you can run over an ak with a tank, submerge it in swamps, stick in the sand, neglect it, never clean it, and will still fire, however if you want to put rounds down range with accuracy, and you keep it clean, the m-16 will do the job, and the firing rate is great and will not climb like an ak, also the m-16 is a better platform for attachments, with the ak, what you see is what you get, i still think the m-16 is a better weapon

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
i agree! i fired an ak with a grenade launcher mounted on it and it was like holding a bear! but the 203 fits rather well on a 16. i saw a version of a 203 at a gun show in tulsa once,it was being sold as a "flare gun" and had a pistol grip! id love to have one of those! flares from that would make the 4th of july something special! :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
Having fired both and soon to be owning both (I am paying on an M-4) they both have their good points. With the AK you have the firepower of the M-60 machine gun in a platform that is easy to carry and handle. With the M-16 you have a very accurate rifle that can inflict a pretty devastating wound with a relatively small round. I like both of them but lately I have been leaning a little more to the AK side.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,319 Posts
Welcome to the "darkside" Stewart...BUWAAAHAAAHAAA! ;)

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
NRA it's time to get yourself a AR-15. I think once you do you will want both. The AK and the AR. They make a nice couple. I have shot both and like them both.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
HE HASN'T GOTTEN.........

enough AK's yet.:eek: :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
Get the same firepower from a AK that you get from a M-60? That's funny!!!

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
NO THEY AIN'T!!!

the M-60 fires the 7.62 Nato cartrdge, more robust than the AK round.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Like comparing a 30-30 to a .308

1 - 20 of 30 Posts