Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
anything but a hesse reciever. and just plain look at the gun before you buy it check out the sights and give it a good looking over . but really i never heard of any problems with any ak's other then front sight's being off alittle or the cosmetics of the gun not looking good.i have a sar1 and it's great.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
I got a romanian last december...works great...just rember they are designed for smaller people than most Americans...Im 5'9 and the stock is short for me....slip on recoil pad makes it a little better..in terms of stock leanght.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
how much did you guys pay for it? and how did you get it?

Whats hesse reciever? a manufacturer?

I dont have much experience with guns, so what would I be looking for when I look it over?

Whats the difference between them? SAR 1, 2, or 3 ...WASR-10? HiCap? etc etc

thnx

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got my SAR-1 by ordering through a local shop from Shotgun News, you can find pawn or gun shops that will let you order on their license for 10 to 20 bucks. I've seen prettier pieces with machined receivers and gorgeous stocks, but price can more than double and they realy aren't any more reliable. The SAR 1 is the old 7.62x39, -2 is the later Ruski 22, -3 is our 22. Some models are single stack mag only, so check this before buying. Hicap refers to this ability to accept the high capacity double stack magazines. Prices run from around 270 up to over 800, and can go higher for the pre-bans. I'd check local shops first, compare to what you can find advertised, and look at what you see being used at the range. Don't forget to check shows, too. Then decide what you want to spend and go for it.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Did the mail order from SOG to a local gun store..$270 + $20 trasnfer fee and $10 shipping. But was cheaper than local shops.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats hesse reciever? and Whats WASR-10?

I dont have much experience with guns, so what would I be looking for when I look it over? anything to watch out for?

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
If you don't have much experience with guns, AK might not be the best way to start. Not a bad choice either though. What's your past experience and what are you looking for in a rifle?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I would get it for collecters purpose, but I want it in good shooting condition so that I can take it out to a range now and then. Im also getting a k98 Mauser (capture) and I have the opportunity to shoot them before I buy them, so Im wondering what should I be looking for (or watching out for) when I shoot them?

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Depends what you want from it....kinda like whats a good car/truck....the AK is not ment to be a match grade rifle...it was designed to be made on simeple machines by people with little experience...then used by conscrips (draftees) with little formal education...under almost any conditions.....it is a simple and ruged design...I tend to use all my rifles at 100yrds or less (in the Marines everyone shot the m16 at 500 yrs/meeters) and have pretty good groups....maybe due to doing this for fun..but I just aint motavated to shoot at 300 or more yards..and then walk to and from the target. I understand that the AK is good to about 300 yards for a man size target. Some people probly get longer shoots (especialy with a scope on it)....some like me who are older..dont get into good tight shooting position dont always get the few inch groups at 100yds.

Overall the AK I belive is an outstanding rifle for defending home and family...it has good stoping power...pretty good accuracy...and functions flawlessly...add too that that you can get 30 rd mags for $10 or 75 rd drums for $90 (Hopefully I will never need 75 rounds to defend the house)...and that ammo is unde $2 per box of 20 I think the AK is a great deal
As for the hessey reciver.....I got the SAR1 (I belive) and never noticed who made the reciver...some people who know more than I do have mentioned on this and other places that there seems to be a problem with those recivers...so probly best to avoidde them.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
i would pick up the ak first then get the other guns you won't be disapointed .you'll love the ak.cheap to shoot never any problems other then running out of ammo.lol or the ole sore trigger finger . but some shooting or batting gloves should take care of that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts