close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ak-47s

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 7mmag6, Apr 23, 2002.

1. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

hi guys im not a real ak buff but after shooting a rumania sar 1 I lliked the weapon for some serious plinking, a freind has a rummanian that I shot for fun and was intrigued, im more the hunter type but man that was fun. so I called S and g and decided to order a good AK, I did not like the rummanian sar 1 as every now and then would give me a double. after talking to the salesman I spent another hundred bucks for a AKS pre-ban keng polytech with synthetic furniture, the salesman said it would not slam-fire with soft point ammo, so what does that mean, boy is this gun fun, ive been shooting wolf brand ammo, but is that the best? whats up with the pre-ban, I smell liberal hate gun nazis here but I dont know the politics, inform me :)

2. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Slam-fires result from either a broken/stuck firing pin, or a barrel with a rough/dirty chamber, or too little headspace. When the bolt closes on the round, the firing pin is protruding from the face of the bolt, and upon closure, will set off the primer without pulling the trigger.
    As far as the ammo is concerned, whatever ammo shoots best in your weapon is the best ammo to use. No two weapons are the same, even if they were made on the same machinery with the same tooling and dies. One weapon will prefer a specific ammo over another every time.
    Pre-ban means it was made before 1994. As far as the specifics of a pre-ban, it would be best to obtain a copy of the Section 922(r), as the characteristics of an "assault weapon" are many and varied, not to mention idiodic. Some things involved are a bayonet lug, pistol grip stock, forward pistol grip, threaded barrel, flash suppresors, folding stocks, ability to accept high-cap mags, and so on. HTH.

:target:

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

If you got a pre-ban for only $100 more than an SAR-1, you're a lucky man. Pre-bans tend to function better than post bans for many reasons, one of them being that they haven't been modified with US parts here (nothing against US parts, they're just not the same). Also, the recent mentality has been to get an AK cause it's an AK, not because they like the particular rifle. I say get what you think is practical and enjoyable, screw what's cool. Good luck with your preban.