close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AK interest declining,too bad

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Rave, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

I look in the magazine racks and never see any articles on the AK.Most of the stuff is boring PC type guns using old wording and old pics,really boring.I keep renewing Guns and Ammo because they send it to me for less than 80 cents an issue.Terminated my subscriptions to Guns and weapons for law inforcement,they covered some interesting guns because they were available to law enforcment or to us if pre-ban.Also dropped Small Arms review as they did have a good article once in a while about semi-auto carbines in interesting configurations they were so few and far between i told them i would look on the rack and if I saw an interesting article i would buy it.
    One can still find articles on the SKS and a few others,especially in the surplus issues,i suppose AKs aren't in there because they are not available as surplus.I guess most filks are more interested in newer stuff,but i would like to find a few good articles.American Survivor had an excellent article out years ago,about seven pages starting out with a good history of the AK in America and how the media destroyed them,then how to maintain andkeep you AK happy,which parts to get in case of failure,not likely but possible,and articles on how to change parts to install a pistol grip legally on post banAKs from Soup bowl,andother interesting goodies.Of course i had to make a copy and still have it for reference.
    Prehaps some of you guys can let us know where more interesting stuff is available.
    Regards,Rave:confused: :cool:

2. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Rave,
    Every so often, Shotgun News will have a good article on AK's, and available upgrades such as stocks, scopes, muzzle brakes, scope mounts, and give a history of the various models. Alas, I agree with you in that nobody does any really interesting articles anymore on them. Shame, as they are probably the most proliferated firearm in world history.

3. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

RAVE,
    Generally speaking, I have to agree with you. I think you hit the nail on the head by bringing up the PC issue. I think most of the magizines are taking the "high road", and not putting military-type or military looking weapons in their mags.... trying to appease the anti-gunners. One would think that they would know better than to even try.
    Best to ya', and Happy Trails,
    Jeffro (Jeff)

4. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I always figured AK-47 dont have full page adds so no reason for them to write about them..for ME I just love reading about the afordable Wetherby or other such $20,000 guns the magazines seem to love to review I mean How many times have I found myself debateing..AK or 20K over/under....hummmm. Lets face it surplus stuff dont get the sponsers that the magaziens like..and no $$ no review...Actualy I would just love to read 1 bad review of anything in some of these mags....guess that would mean the check bounced.

5. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

By golly,I do think you guys hit the old nail on the head!Those are some of the best,most thought out responses I do believe i have seen!
    Keep up the good posting!
    Now this is really interesting!:nod: :nod: :nod: :D :D :D

6. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

This might be evident in the magazines, but not at the range. Some weekends, we have enough AK's and SKS's to stage a third world revolt. Still, I do miss the magazine articles. Like the guys said, the more expensive types get the magazines sold. In the media, it all comes down to the bottom line.

7. Hi Rave,
    The ony magazine I bother with is Shotgun News. I get 36 issues a year for something like $25.00 and its the only publication that deals with REAL guns. You know....the kind of guns the average guy can afford to buy and shoot regularly like AKs, Mosins, Makarovs, Military Mausers, etc.

Guns & Ammo.....LOL, what a joke! I too bought one of their one year subscriptions for $8.99. I just moved from Texas to Arkansas 2 weeks ago and purposely didnt let Guns & Ammo know my new address because Im tired of it clogging my mail box.

Try Shotgun News!

8. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I reccomend Gun List and Gun Tests. Gun List is the best classified publication on firearms and accessories I've seen and Gun Tests (although expensive), reports firearms tests without bias. This website currently advertises in Gun List, and their customer service is tops.

Jesse

9. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

If you can get it in your area, try Gun World. My favorite articles that they've done were about Saiga shotguns, Krebs Custom AK's, Vepr rifles and the Vyatskie Polyany factory, etc...The editor of that mag shoots at my local indoor range; he's a great guy, and you can always count on the true facts about a firearm in their articles, whether good or bad.

10. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

If it wasn't for people like us buying the El Cheapo firearms, there wouldn't BE a firearms buisness in America. I agree with Bob, as I have pondered many times whether to buy that ugly old Mosin, or call the bank to refinance the house for that .460 Wetherby Magnum, not to mention cashing in some CD's to afford to shoot it for a week. It's been close sometimes, but logic dictates to buy what you can afford to shoot, and not be afraid of it getting dinged a little on the way to/at the range. I like the expensive rifles and pistols, but I enjoy shooting my firearms, and not worrying that if I do shoot it, it just depreciated more than my house is worth.

:assult:

11. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Before NICS I had a subscription to Gun List,bought several guns through their classified section,mostly advance rifles through a GOOD dealer,but then sadly NICS came along and another good thing was dashed to pieces,oh the angst,oh wail,oh h**l!
    Maybe in '94?Yeah,Right!:nod: :nod: :nod: :rolleyes:

12. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I have noticed that all the gun rags go in circles and eventually repeat themselves. seems to be a cyclic thing.

13. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

This is the first post in a month...boooooring!:( :( :(

14. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

You would think that with all the AK parts guns (Romanian SAR's,ect.) that interest would be booming. It seems however that it has caused a waning in some respects. I used to see AK's as a hot item at gun shows. Everyone wanted one and had to pick up at least 10 mags. Now I see very little interest and those who do look complain about the price. I really cannot put my finger on it.
    SKS's are booming though!

Jesse

15. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

GET A SUB TO GUNS MAGAZINE AND AMERICAN HANDGUNNER. GUNS & AMMO IS TOO WIMPY FOR MY TASTES ANYMORE!

16. yeah AKs used to be the big item, but now the intrest has seemed to fall off, i think the reason they were so big was the whole ban thing, everyone wanted one before it was banned, but since they've been vilified in the media for so long, people would rather have a socialy acceptable AR type, or some other gun not so recocnizable as a "terrorist"weapon.
    that's just my opinion i could be wrong.
    -Jesse

17. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

My opinion is that lots of people used to get AKs just to get AKs, cause they're seen as such a special rifle. I mean, everyone's heard of an AK-47, but not as many people know about the SKS-D (uses AK mags, has nice stock), FA-91 (Americanized HK-91 with scope rail), FN-FAL, and others. I think lots of people went for AKs after 9/11 because they were affordable at the time, then prices skyrocketed and people stopped buying them, at least the SAR-1. Dealer cost is $280-300 on an SAR-1, but I see tons of people asking $4-500. That'll buy a G3 or FAL.

Basically, I think people have been buying AKs for the wrong reasons, and now the people who do appreciate them already have them, and those who don't have them don't want them. I've found firing an SAR-1 to be more of an ordeal, because of the wobbly grip, small handguards, undersized slippery buttstock (pokes instead of braces), thin trigger (cuts into my finger), and the action that shakes the gun up so much and sends shock waves through it. My SKS-D is much more comfortable, feels more substantial, and cost slightly less than an SAR-1.

Maybe, if I learn more about them, I might get a higher end AK or replace parts on an SAR-1, but presently I find my FA-91 and SKS-D more desirable.

Of course I guess you're all wondering why on earth I hang out on the AK forum. I guess to me AKs are like girls I have tons of respect for, am happy getting to know, but just want to be friends with.

18. I would tend to agree that most people that really want an AK47 already have one. As for gun owners simply being too PC to buy a vilified gun....that I don't agree with. Any potential gun owner who approaches a gun purchase in THAT frame of mind views his gun in the same light as a car, DVD player or designer shirt and is not a serious firerarms user anyway.

I have an SAR-I and have been cashing-in on the "lull" in AK interest to stock-up on bargain priced replacement parts and ammo.

I bought my AK for two reasons.
    #1. - I grew-up in East Germany and although trained in the GST with the Soviet M44, I was never allowed to train with the AK. They were dependable, indestructible and easy to use, not to mention effective and I always wanted to learn to use one.

#2. - Here in the USA it's not only readily available but also cheap to shoot. I own a mint condition M44 and bought a new SAR-I and enjoy shooting them both at the range. If it were to become necessary, I would be quite comfortable shooting them at other things too.

THAT is why I own an AK47.

19. Why No AK Coverage?

Since Federal does not make a Hydra-Shok bullet in 7.62X39, the writers at Guns & Ammo and related publications cannot talk about AKs in terms of "one shot stop probablity" and then pronounce Federal the winner for the umpteen millionth time.

Do I sound bitter? I think that it's criminal that the usual suspects actually write this garbage knowing that people may trust their lives to it.

For a newstand mag relying on advertising, there is about zero future revenue potential in writing about surplus and similar arms. The Peterson (or is it Pedersen?) publications have no class about this whatsoever. They are so crass about hawking particular products that it's unbelieveable at times. Even the American Rifleman is more objective. The quality of the articles purporting to test firearms and ammunition stagger the imagination. Of course they never give bad reviews, the manufacturer HANDPICKS which firearms to send the writers. I won't even start on ammunition articles unless you want a nice long rant...

20. I agree 100% with the comments made above by FEG.

It's all about money and shameless "advertising" disguised as unbiased articles in magazines that millions of Americans apparently actually believe-in and PAY FOR!

There is money to be made in writing about older guns, MilSurp guns and all of the cool Cold-War leftovers that add the only real flavor to Gun Shows and personal collections. However, it's not BIG money. It's not enough to keep a dozen magazines alive and it's no where close to the amount of money the publishers get from the corporations building those pretty new guns that require bank financing to purchase and an additional part-time job to keep the breech fed.

I bought a new gun once, a Ruger which proved to be perfectly good if not generic, unspectacular and lacking in that extra "umpf" that makes shooting fun. I later sold that Ruger for half of what I had paid and used the money to buy a nearly pristine Argentine Mauser. Since that day I have NEVER been interested OR tempted by any of those expensive new guns in the well-lit display cases.

I say 3-cheers for seventy-five dollar Mosin-Nagants, Romanian AK47's and East German Makarov's ! Then three more cheers for Shotgun News which actually promotes, writes about and carries advertising for these REAL guns!