Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im saw an sks. in my local gun store that doesn't sell ammo for the sks and ak rifles ( talk about irony in that statement) but one sks I noticed could accest ak mags. I know they're norincos, but do they have a special name?

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
They've been called many things, but particularly SKS-D or SKS-M models. They've also been called paratroopers and sporters, but so have regular magged SKSes.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Most times I hear people talk about them they call them paratroopers. If it is a factory ak mag model it is pretty collectible and if in good shape you might want to snag it. I don't think they are as reliable or as nice as the regular fixed mag models, but non the less highly collectible and worth some money.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The original issue SKS with the 10 round "Fixed" magazine is the best configuration for an SKS; they work. Some SKS's with the large capacity removeable magazines can be made to work, but I have never seen one that was reliable. ALL of the SKS's with anything other than a 10 round "Fixed" magazine, were built just for the US market. There were never any removeable mag SKS's built for the military, in any of the countries that built the SKS.

There were some test models developed in China (and I would suspect in Russia, too) for select fire and with larger capacity magazines, but all of those were regularly malfunctioning, and so were dropped as a design.

Collectible? Anything can be considered collectible, but that doesn't make it worth anything. Who would have thought the Model "T" Ford would have been so collectible? The Kaiser/Fraser cars are quite collectible now days, if you can find one, but when their owners felt "Stuck" with them, whoodathunk that the would be so collectible now!

`

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I would call it collectible becuase it is an old mil-surp that is extremely wanted (if it is a factory model). They can bring up to $500 and people with giant collections will buy them up ina heart beat. I call that collectible. I sold one to a guy who has just about every variarion of SKS there is. Paratroopers are highly valued for the plain fact that they made so little of them and any Norincco SKS is highly valued. You should see what some of the Norinco Honor Guard with the certificates are bringging in auction and the Paratrooper are not too far behind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts