close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AK-s are just the most innacurate thing Ive shot

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 7mmag6, May 9, 2002.

1. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

I cant hit a **** thing with an AK, is this the cold war soviet doctrine, why give troops a weapon like this, this is a weapon
    that is absolutely innacurate, its terrible, what was the Soviet doctrine to add a weapon like this to thier inventory, its absolutely
    horrible, iknow weaponry, this is really bad, Icant hit a **** thing over 150 meters

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Really? Exactly which type of AK did you shoot, made in what country? I have shot a Hungarian and a Russian AK and both grouped about 2" at 100 yards.

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Could be due, at least in part, to the ammo. I've been very unsatisfied with Wolf brand ammo. One of my guns shoots 6" groups with Wolf, 3" with Russian surplus, and 1.5" with UMC commercial ammo. Try some good stuff before writing off the weapon.
    Also, was the weapon in good shape, or badly worn? I've seen good and bad accuracy from AK's.

4. i've run everything from wolf, to umc, to american eagle ammo through mine, with equal amount of accuracy, ussualy between 2 & 3" at 100yds.
    BTW it's an SAR 1 made in oct. 2000(had the thing 2 years and never noticed the front sight being canted, but in my defence, i do only have 1 eye:p )

-Jesse

5. I must admit that my SAR3 is not a tack driver. But then again I never expected it to be.

I can easily get 6 inch groups and that's about all one can expect from a mass produced military rifle designed to hit center of mass.

I, too, have to agree with the ammo issue. Wolf, for the most part, is junk plinker ammo. I bought some good and new Remington 63 grain and found that my groups, although still somewhat loose....shrank to around 4 inches and that is good for my old tired eyes.

I look at it this way....if, and I pray I never have to, need to use it in defense all I want is a weapon that can get me kill zone hits. My SAR3 will do that.

6. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Look at the combat doctrine. Fire suppression is the name of the game. That's why the AK was the only true assault rifle. The fire select switch goes AUTO-Single-Safe.

They were designed to but mass lead on target. You can beat it, for days, run it thru the muck, heat it, freeze it, and it will still deliver lead on target.

7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

if you want a tackdriver, get a tack hammer!!! 2-3 in groups is good enough for the purposes an ak is used for;)

8. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

If you want the accuracy, get a Dragunov. That was designed to be an accurate weapon. The AK series was designed to function under the absolute worst conditions nature could throw at it, and were designed to be soldier-proof, which meant ease of assembly/disassembly. For what the AK is, it's a very handy weapon that has a high rate of sustained fire, and that's good enough to keep the bad guys' head down, and, hopefully, change his mind about messing with you.

:)

9. Benny

Benny G&G Newbie

I've got an SAR 2 in 5.45x39 and it's fairly accurate. I can ring the Buffalo silhouette out at 300 yds easy. That is a large target but I'm satisfied with the accuracy although my ammo selection is fairly small in that caliber... ONLY Wolf . Anyone know any sources for 5.45x39 besides wolf???

Benny

10. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Remember accuracy also depends on the ammo surplus ammo and wolf ammo are fine for plinking -- for tack drivers you need to reload or find someone to produce a higher quality round for you.

11. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

The SVD Dragunov is more accurate than the AK for sure. I've never owned a SVD, but I know someone who has. Sandbagged with handloads the SVD can deliver 1 1/2-2" at 100 yds... at least that's all my friend could get out of his. With milsurp ammo... 3" at 100yds was the best he could do. The Dragunov was designed to hit a man sized target at 600 meters. It is a fine, durable rifle.

http://www.snipercentral.com/svd.htm

Jesse

12. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Dragunovs should be more accurate than that. For how much they cot, they'd better be. If my $500 FA-91 G3 clone will give an inch with Winchester match, a multi-thousand Dragunov should do at least as well.

13. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Dragunovs do not cost thousands of dollars. They do not even cost 1 thousand. I have seen Russian Dragunovs about $700. I am not sure where the "multi-thousand" comes from.

14. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Russians for that cheap??? I have seen Romanian Dragunovs at gun shows for around $700-800. The Chinese ones in Shotgun News go for about $1300 (I think). I have never seen a Russian one, but if they sell like SKS's do, wouldn't the Russian ones go for about $1500+? Just my thoughts.\

As far as the AK, my buddy just bought a new one, and it was shooting about 3 inch groups with surplus...Not too bad if you ask me.

-Tim

15. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Important note! Look at the Romanian "Dragunovs". Look at a Chinese or Russian Dragunov. Then look at an AK. The Romanian Dragunovs are NOT true Dragunovs. They are built on a version of the RPK receiver, NOT a bonified Dragunov receiver.
    There's a reason they cost less than a thousand.

16. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I see accuricy problems being more of a user expectation vs reality problem. For example when we buy a $50 Mosan Nagant we all are pretty happy if it goes boom and the bullett comes out the right end..if we get a decent groups then great if not well we did not expect much so no disapointments. Same with the AK-47 we pay $300 for an "assult" rifle ment for pesent soldiers with limited training and some of us are happy with 4" groups some expect sum moa from a rifle and are disapointed. I expect with good ammo that most rifles that I pay a fair amount of $$ for will do well. But a cheap rifle with cheap surpluss ammo well I expect and may or may not get cheep surplus results. Im saveing my pennies for my first AK. My SKS, Mosans and mausers do better than expected...are they match grade..no way...but I am happy.
    The Ak is a battle rifle...combat is not about group size its about hit or miss... The draganov I read does a lot better with match grade ammo....once more cost..expectations..and reality play a part. Just my opion...is the Ak accurate..depends onwhat you want....and how much you are willing to pay to get it.

17. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

A true SVD is a VERY expensive rifle. It is also on the 03 C&R list, (the Soviet SVD). The Chinese SVD is also an expensive rifle. CDNN sells a .308 version, but the original caliber for an SVD is 7.62x54.

The Romanian Dragunov or Romak 3 is, like Battle Rifle G3 said, built on a RPK reciever and is not a true SVD. It is however a true, military issue sniper rifle, (at least during the Cold War).

The Tiger,Veper, and other Dragunov "types" are strictly commercial rifles built for the export market. No Soviet or Chinese military SVD has been imported since the late 80's, to the best of my knowledge.

For more information on AK's and Dragunovs, I suggest Duncan Long's book "AK-47". It's informative and gives a lot of history.
    I really enjoyed it.

Jesse

18. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

well im using a keng pre-ban, im used to a les baer AR-15 in 223, but maybe im not giving the ak a chance, as the les baer is accurate
    to 800 meters if you can see that far, ill give it another go

19. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I bought an original SVD back in '89. I have always considered it to be a very, very durable and accurate rifle. It will consistently shoot sub-MOA groups out to 200 yards. After that, things open up just a tad. My friend, who used to be a SWAT member, can hit the hole in the top of a Coke can at 150 yards with it. I have the original scope for it, but have replaced it with a Swarvoski (sp) 6-24x50 and a custom side mount. I have only shot it out to 500 yards, and it can deliver if the shooter will do his/her part.
    In comparison, I shoot my AK at the distance it was intended for, and that's 400 yards tops. It will function perfectly, and it delivers a lot of lead in short order. For an urban conflict, I would definitely say the AK is at the top of the heap. For long-range, stick to a bolt gun, or one of the specialized semis out there.

20. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Jesse you said what I was going to if I have a chance at a true Russian through my C&R I am grabbing it because they are definitely superior compared to the chinese as the production was directly supervised by Kalishnikov himself.