Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Norinco 84S-1 Under folder: Shoots 223 cal. I know Norinco 223 mags are almost impossible to find. I got the gun and 4 mags for $500.00. I have heard you can take the 5.54x39 Bakelight mags and convert them to feed 223. Anyone done this?

First 223 AK I have bought. I have about 100 or so 7.62x39 AK47s. New guy on this AK. Enclosed Pics. It also came with a Tac Trigger. The gun was bought in 1984 and has about 50 rds shot through it. Been in a safe since.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
That sure is a nice weapon! Great range gun, .223 is one of the cheapest calibers for a rifle(in my area anyways). Try ebay maybe. i have seen many mags for different guns. not sure if ebay will have any though. At least you got 4 mags for it!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found out how to convert the 5.45x39 Bakelite mags to .223 cal mags.
here is how: They work very well.

First, install a 223 cartridge and see where the shoulder part of the cartidge sits. Remove the bullet and grind out the material on the INSIDE of the mag body where the shoulder sits so it will sit straight. (looking from above it will be the material that is lower than the feed lips and in front of the front edge of the feed lips- the feed lips are not touched when doing this).

Now use your rifle as a guide- remove the top cover and recoil spring only and insert the mag. Slowly cycle the action and you can see where the mag contacts the bolt and bolt carrier.

Grind down the height of both feed lips so they will only be about 1-2mm in height from the metal reinforcement so the mag will fit in the receiver without touching the bottom of the receiver rails and the bottom of the bolt carrier.

Grind down the inside edge of the right side feed lip just a hair so the right side of the bolt does not contact it.

The follower does not have to be touched for it to work on my Norinco- I'm not sure about other makes, so if the bolt does not grab a bullet on its forward travel, then build up the back part of the follower- I heard that this usually needs to be done for the SAR-3.

Use squares of black tape taped on top of each other until you build up the height of the back part of the follower.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts