Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking to get an AR15 or an AK47. I am wanting suggestions and opinions. Mostly I just want something reliable and decently priced. Price isn't that big of an issue. Any opinions? I am really new to the Semi-Auto Rifle Market.

Also, trying to find the best brands of those guns as well...

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
What do you want to do?

There are so many things to consider.

There is usually a price jump in comparing an AK to an AR.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mostly just want to do targets and such. I ran into a guy with a Mak 90 last night and he let me unload two 30 rd clips and I fell in love! It was so accurate and easy!

My background is basically recreational handguns and shotguns. However I am wanting a rifle to add to my collection.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Either will give you reasonable accuracy within battle ranges, the AK47 has a history of greater reliability under adverse conditions, I'd say overall it's a personal preference of what you find more enjoyable to shoot , my personal preference is for neither, I'd rather have (if budget allowed) a good M1A1 or a garand but thats just MY preference. You'll generally have a ball with either of your choices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am leaning towards the AR. Is an AR more readily available than an AK? What are the better brands of an AR?

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Both guns can be highly customized. The AR being the most customized I feel, you can see a lot of threads about this in the AR forum

The AK47 is an awesome rifle. You already know how much fun they are

My personal preference is to get both ;)

I am leaning towards the AR. Is an AR more readily available than an AK? What are the better brands of an AR?
The AR is big with most simply because it's the weapon of the military here, the AK is popular in other countries just like the AR is to us.

You can also be a bit more rough with the AK

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
For suggestions on brands, you might want to start a new thread in the AR15 forum.

That is a completely different topic and has tons of answers!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
i have one of each and i would go with the ak 47 <--- they fire any time easy to clean , the ar 15 takes a lot of moveing parts !

·
Registered
767 Posts
AR = Big Bucks...better accuracy...cheap ammo...looks cool as ****!...uses common .223

AK = cheaper....can drag through mud, dump in a river...pull it out AND IT WILL FIRE AND FIRE AGAIN. the most reliable failure-proof rifle ever made...sometime the ammo gets hard to find..usually 7.62 x 39 russian.
ten billion asians can't be wrong!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i plan to own both within the first month after i turn 18, but if i had to pick one gun to buy it would be an ak, because it's cheaper than an AR and is extremely reliable, and accuracy would be a waste for me, i dont really have the patience to line up a shot exactly, i just get it so it looks about right and dont put too much effort into it

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Both are excellent choices. I have both, but enjoy the AR's more. I like the way they shoot. I would suggest a DPMS, RRA, Stag or Bushmaster with an A-3 (flat-top upper) that makes it easy to mount a good optical sight like and Aimpoint or Eotech. But, only get this set-up if you actually want to hit what you are shooting at! :) I agree AK's are the most reliable rifle in existence, but I don't really plan to be crawling through the mud or sand while at the range. Some may enjoy that though?

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Question: AK47 or AR15?

Answer: Yes. :)

·
Ahh..Cordite.
911 Posts
Decisions

I ran into a guy with a Mak 90 last night and he let me unload two 30 rd clips and I fell in love!
You must first start by calling the "device" you call a "clip" by its proper name...A "magazine"

I own both weapons and I feel if I had to have one or the other in a serious firefight, I would take the AK.
The cleaning and maintenance of the AR is a labor of love.
The cleaning and maintenance of the AK is a 10-15 Min. Quickie

The Ak round packs more punch and in the right hands it is a pretty **** accurate weapon. The iron sights on the Standard AK are right on the money.
Plus the AK when it has all the Black plastic on it looks way more bad *** than any AR could..IMHO and if you want a high cap drum for the AK its only about $125.00 where as the Beta-Mag for the AR is about $240.00

There is an excerpt in the Book "Steel my Soldiers Hearts" by COL. David Hackworth (God rest his soul) Where he recounts unearthing a totally rust encrusted AK-47 complete w/ VC attached. He pulls back the action and chambers a round. He pulls the trigger and fires the remainder of the magazine. I don't believe that any of Stoners M designs held up to that scrutiny in Vietnam. My father trained on an M14 and then had to use the M-16 when he arrived.. Needless to say he was not happy with it.
But the true test of any military weapon is KISS

Can you throw a handful of desert sand directly into the open port of the AR and have it fire an entire magazine? Perhaps, how about a handful of Kentucky mud? perhaps.

But one gun that will fire under both of these circumstances is the AK. and that is proven..for over 50 years now.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I'd still prefer my M14 Thank you , just a personal preference but the AK is without question a rugged and reliable weapon.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have fired the AR-15 and the SKS.
I wasn't a fan of the AR-15 loaded with .223,but I do like the 7.62x39 SKS.
Although I have not fired the AK-47,I would more likely take a 7.62x39 AK-47 over a .223/5.56 AR-15.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
...Can you throw a handful of desert sand directly into the open port of the AR and have it fire an entire magazine? Perhaps, how about a handful of Kentucky mud? perhaps.
But one gun that will fire under both of these circumstances is the AK. and that is proven..for over 50 years now.
:34:
I hear this stuff all the time. When was the last time you threw a hand full of Kentucky mud into your rifle? We are not in a war crawling around in the mud. Even if the SHTF, most of us will be in urban areas or upland type forest. I somehow manage to hunt in these forest without filling my rifle full of mud or sand. Sorry if I sound snippy, but I always hear the AK lovers/AR bashers use this argument over and over. It (reliability) is the only "advantage" that can be found over the AR. I agree that if I were fighting a war in the desert or jungle, an AK may be my first choice. But thankfully, most of us are not in a war. The ones that are use what the DOD wants them to have. As I said in my first post on this thread I have both rifles and like both, but I am just tired of this mud in the rifle argument.
I will step off the soap box now and make way for the AR bashers.:kiss:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think the most telling thing here is you will always hear AR guys concede that if they are actually going to be in a situation where their life depended on it they would take the AK-47, I have NEVER heard the opposite. Reliability isn't the only thing plus for the AK, I would add that under normal circumstances I could buy two AK's for the price of one AR (there will be exceptions), also the AK shoots a .30 caliber bullet not a glorified .22 round meant for small game (that'll stir a few up:scool:), sorry but if you ask what someone would bring to a gunfight I think most would choose a .38 pistol over a.22 anyday. Sure the .22 is more accurate but the .38 bullet has more mass and better chance of a one shot kill.

The AR is a nice rifle, a hoot to shoot, most customizable, more accurate at a distance, and has earned a place in history but if I have to make a choice I will take the AK-47 thank you.:burnout:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I had the same problem, so I got both. I started out with one SKS, that turned into 5 SKSs, then came the AK, and now 2 ARs. I prefer the ARs to all of them. I will tell you that I don't really get to shoot my ARs because I have so little ammo for them; I am just now saving up enough wolf for target shooting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I your going to do mostly target shooting and also want a good defence rifle I would go for the AR. Now if you want to be a gang banger and just blast a lot of lead around then the AK fits this slot.:burnout:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts