close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Albanian Ammo warning

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Bryan Williams, May 10, 2002.

1. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams G&G Newbie

Guys PLEASE be care when shooting Albanian ammo. I was shooting some in my new M39, the case ruptured in my chamber causing some gas/powder/fire to blow back in my face and knocking me down. The gun is fine, headspace was checked before it left the store. Only thing i can guess is this was a poorly (and very overloaded) bullet. The casing looked like someone had put four splits in it. It was so loud and kicked so bad I thought the gun had exploded.... but upon the examination the shell was the culprit. Just please be careful with Albanian ammo! I will try to get a picture of the casing if my webcam decides to quit being a piece of junk.
    Bryan

2. Bryan Williams

Here's the casing, no dont ask what happened to the missing brass, I guess it went out the barrel too.

Attached Files:

3. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

I'm glad you're ok, Bryan!

Who says Mosins are junk? It's a very well-put-together shooting machine you've got there!

4. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Hans re read his post

5. close one.

glad your O.K., I had a round of turkish 8mm mauser do just about the same thing, except it ruptured on the side of case, a split about 1 inch long and 1/4 wide was the outcome, I think I'l stick to surplus russian 7.62X54, I've heard other bad stories about that Albanian stuff.

6. Hi guys!
    You may recall about 2 or 3 months back, before this site was moved to its current , I also made a post about Albanian ammo and how horrible it is. I got a can of it and although none blew-up in my face.....I did have about 30-40% of it refuse to chamber. That which did fore was terribly inaccurate.
    I have no plans to shoot the rest of my Albanian remnants unless The US is invaded by the Chinese and all my other ammo is used-up. LOL

Be careful guys! The best thing to do with Albanian ammo is to throw it at the enemy and hope you put out an eye!

7. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

I've read that Mosin actions can tolerate up to 60,000 psi of pressure before failure; that's belted magnum territory. I can't think of a modern-day action action made with heat-treated tube stock that could withstand an explosion like that.

And all Finn Mosin actions were made before 1918! That is super-quality stuff!

8. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Glad you're still around, Bryan. Looks like it could have been really bad if the chamber had given way. As far as Hans' statement, they have been pressure-tested to 64,000 psi before failing. Not too bad, and at a great price. I'm sure the added safety factor saved many lives. How's the rifle now, Bryan?

9. Bryan Williams

The rifle is fine, no damage what so ever (thank god!). the worst of it went into me. It kicked like 3 times worse than an M44 when that thing went off :S

10. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

at least you had good engineering and a fair amount of luck on your side! glad to hear all's well w/you and the gun. thanks for the post,i was about to buy some of that crap!

11. Bryan Williams

Whew, glad you arent buying any now. If they can't do any better than that on weapons and ammo, then I see exactly why they are NOT a world power. While they are trying to get their ammo to breech up, the enemy has aready taken over the country and is laughing at them. :D