close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ALBANIAN Surplus 7.62x54

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JAMES, Jul 17, 2002.

1. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

Any opinions about this plentiful 1980's Albanian surplus ammo in the 440 round tins ?
    I looked up in the mirror while shaving one morning last week and there was that mounted singing bass with a dead battery gaping back at me. It was time to revitalize, so I ordered another pile of ammo. This evening when I arrived home, there it was, right behind my wife. Where did she learn how to assume that distinctive D.I. stance ? I just need to find some time to climb over the wife, kids, toys, dog.....and go shoot for a while.
    Any of you brave men fired this stuff ? I need a loud report, a good muzzle flash, and a nice slap to tighten up the jaw. Am I on the right track ?
    :jaw:

2. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

The Albanian is good stuff. You won't be disappointed.

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

is the albanian ammo brass cased or lacquered steel, or copperwashed???

4. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

Thanks, Calvin.

Papa G,
    This lot is a 1989 manufacture with brass case and steel bullet. The FMJ bullets appear to be copper washed, or perhaps copper alloy jacketed...?

I'll get out sometime soon and try them out.

5. Ahem......good stuff?

Well, if you have had that experience you are most fortunate. I wasted my perfectly good money on a case of that crap and am still trying to find a landfill that will take it.

Half of the rounds are so poorly cased that they wont even feed or chamber. ( Yes, I have and normally use Russian surplus which feeds and chamber as if they were made of buttered silk)

In the meantime...until I locate that elusive landfill, I'll keep using my Albanian Milsurp as coat hooks. All you have to do is hammer it into the wall. Don't worry, the last thing it will do is go off!

Hahahahaha

6. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

Apparently you need a larger hammer, Cranky-Kraut !

So, you think I should take along a couple of boxes of my trusty WOLF stuff, just in case my coathooks don't ignite ?
    I sifted through a couple of packages of the Albanian rounds. Several of the cases do exhibit a rather....unique neck and crimp. Otherwise, they're awful purty. Perhaps I can chamber the rounds with a hammer and then close the bolt.....

We'll see. If my experience with these Albanian rounds matches yours, then I could back over them with the truck and use them for fishing lures. Didn't think of that, did you ?

7. Personally, I haven't tried the stuff. In general, people seem to be disappointed by 7.62x54 mil surp. After all, this is stuff that ALBANIA didn't think it could use anymore...

...but I kid the Albanians...

8. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

hey james,check bryan williams post from 5-14 about the albanian ammo.he had a near catastrophic case rupture in an m-39 w/it. he also posted a photo. might want to check it out and think it over before you start squeezin'em off!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2002
  9. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

Thanks for the warning, Toolman.
    I reckon that's what I get for being away from the message boards for so long....

Where's Cranky Kraut ? Found that landfill yet ? I'll drive.

10. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

no problem,james.don't guess all that powder smoke affected my memory as much as i thought! anywho,i'm trying to put together an order from AIM for some of their yugo and russki stuff,just can't quite figure out how to get everything i want to fit into my meager budget.thought that when i got all of the kids out of the house i could afford to feed my "habit" but no such luck! let ya know how it shoots asap.

11. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

Well, I just couldn't stand it anymore.
    I bagged my most expendable but handy 91/30 (SOG "gunsmith special" that I shortened 4 inches) and took off across the range with an ammo can full of Albania's finest. I also took along a full suite of safety gear to include, no kidding, my old flak vest.

Daylight was fleeting, but I fired 20 rounds down range and then set her down to let the barrel cool. No misfires. No chambering or ejection problems. One case had a 1/4 inch split halfway down. Another case appeared to leak some gas around the primer. Not bad, and a nice little fireball to boot. I cannot vouch for the accuracy as I didn't take the time to set up a target, but it appeared to strike where aimed.

Perhaps there are good and bad lots of this stuff. I will continue to be cautious, but I believe it to be usable. It was packed in a painted green tin; Brass cases, steel bullets, 1989 manufacture.

12. i had a 440rnd. tin every round functioned flawlessly if i remember correctly, i fired it out if my M91/59 wich gave a very nice fireball in broad day light! :D
    i beleive, my ammo was 1986 manufacture, i also had very good results accuarcy wise.
    -Jesse

Attached Files:

13. Well, I am glad to hear hat someone has had good luck with that Albanian stuff. I think the only way The Albanians caused any ijuries with the stuff was by throwing it down from the roofs of tall buildings onto their enemies below.

I am STILL trying to locate a landfill that will accept my Albanian but until then, since I need no more coat-hooks, I think I will make use of whats left by welding the rounds together to make shiny stars that one can then put on top of their Christmas trees. I do after all live in Arkansas and I think the novelty of a "Live Ammo Christmas Tree Topper" might have real potential!

Just think of the fun when the tree catches fire and the flames reach the star! Big Boom in The Trailer Park!

14. For the money why wouldnt you want to go strictly with Wolf ammo? You know its newly manufactured.

15. Hi ITCboy,
    I agree with you whole-heartedly as far as the quality of Wolf Ammo. I swear by the stuff with my AK47 (7.62x39) even though some of my more "classy" buddies turn their noses up at "corrosive" ammo, but my old Mosin seems to LOVE the Russian MilSurp 54R and my SAR-I shoots like a dream with Wolf FMJ. I mean....dont we all clean our guns after each use any way? My best luck has been as follows.

Mosin-Nagants - Good 'ole Russian 7.62x54 Milsurp.
    AK47 - Wolf 7.62x39.
    Makarov - Seems to REALLY like Selliet & Bellot.

I guess every gun is different and depending upon how worn a used gun is, it may do better with ammo that a mint/unissued model might choke on. All of my guns (the 3 above) were purchased in either new/never fired condition (The Romanian AK and Polish M44) OR excellent used condition (EG Makarov).

The main thing to do is to find out what your baby likes best and stick with it. I did this initially by buying a few boxes of overpriced, assorted Milsurp & "new" ammo at my local gun shop to test with and then...once I found what worked best...I ordered it in bulk through J&G or other dealers listed in Shotgun News.

Whatever you decide upon. Good luck!

16. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

Fully concur with Cranky-Kraut's comments.

I have nothing but great things to say about Wolf ammo, except that I keep knocking over that stack of ammo boxes full of expended Wolf brass (steel). I just cannot seem to make myself throw it away. It's quality ammo at a terrific price; however, as Cranky-Kraut has stated, each rifle seems to have its own preference for ammo when it comes to accuracy.

Part of the interest in shooting (for me) is the experimentation and modification which can be executed in the pursuit of fine shooting iron and sometimes simply just for the challenge. That Albanian surplus ammo is only 13 years old and costs half the price of Wolf ammo....and is worth about one fifth as much as Wolf ammo in quality.....but, that's not the point....!

I still have not made it out again to test the Albanian on a target, but I look forward to that test. I once compared three types of 7.62x54 ammo in a 91/30 for consistency. At that time and with that particular rifle, S&B 180 grain shot the best, Wolf 148 grain was a close second, and Barnaul 200 grain was last. I did not have any surplus ammo to compare at the time.
    With another rifle, the results may have been quite different.

Most every Turk Mauser will make a good group with surplus Turk 8mm ammo, and make a mess out of the target with (high quality) U.S. commercial made 8mm ammo....

Besides, the surplus ammo has the best muzzle blast (great balls of fire) !!