Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy came up to get his Lee 5 stage press that I had to figure out for him. He showd me 8 lb jug of Alliant 2000 MR powder. He was sold it saying he could use it in .223 and .308. I looked through all my cook books and can't find it any where listed. He brought up some 308 brass and 223 brass with bullets. In 308 he has 147 grn fmj and 185grn. 55 grn for .223. I use IMR 4064 in my single stage presses. Can any one educate me on Alliant 2000 MR powder?

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
Oh joy, another powder...🙄 Geez, I think I can name at least 8 or 9 powders off the top of my head that pretty much cover anything you want to do with 223/308.

I love the description of how you can duplicate factory loads. I don't know about most of you , but my goal in loading my own is to exceed what a factory load offers. Meh, I digress...I guess it's another choice - - assuming you can find any.

Reactions: Kellen and ChaZam

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Oh joy, another powder...🙄 Geez, I think I can name at least 8 or 9 powders off the top of my head that pretty much cover anything you want to do with 223/308.

I love the description of how you can duplicate factory loads. I don't know about most of you , but my goal in loading my own is to exceed what a factory load offers. Meh, I digress...I guess it's another choice - - assuming you can find any.
It is not new about 2011 I think. They get max velocity in 150 grain 308, nearly 3,000 fps much like the Hornady Superperformance powders. They also use it for the heavy 223 shooting 1,000 yards or whatever, with 68-70 grain bullets. Supposed to be able to mimick military rounds in 5.56 and 308. Have old powders that shoot half inch groups at my house, not interested in the current stuff once I get to that level so I personally never loaded it..

·
Premium Member
26,130 Posts
I wouldn't mind trying that in my 224 Valkyrie with my 90gr Federal Fusion bullets.
If things ever get back to normal I might have to buy a jug of it.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm starting on 223 reloads for my FBI friend. He gave me 100 rounds of 223. My issue is these bullets are 55 grn fmj. The lowest weight bullet I've found is 68 grn bullets. Need some help here. I'm using Alliant 2000 powder. I did find loading 55 grn bullet using IMR 3031 how ever. It's my buddies powder of choice. Just checked and box of bullets he gave me to reload are Hornady 22 cal..

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
No personal experience but I know it is for heavy loads for caliber. Several places I read it was for 5.56 and 308 heavy bullets for the long range shooting games. I ran across this.

Alliant Power Pro 2000 - MR
""""""""This power is not ideal for 5.56 overall. This is because you can load over 30 grains for lighter bullets. That is too much as most of the cases we use are under 30 grains. This power is what we think, the SLOWEST burning powder that can be reasonably used in 5.56. For example, what you would use for 69 grain bullets is similar to what you would use for Varget using 55 grain bullets. Its even significantly slower than even Accurate 2520, which is on the slow end for 5.56. If you want HIGH VELOCITY in heavier bullets for 5.56 such as 69-77 grain? Then try this powder."""

000"There is no point testing this powder with 55 grain, you would use this powder for 69+ Grain bullets "generally". Of course you could use it for even 40 grain bullets, but you just won't get the velocity compared to say...Power Pro Varmint."
Alliant Power Pro 2000 MR (natoreloading.com)

FWIW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts