· The outer edge of civilization
17,035 Posts
Stinging Nettles. I've never tried them but here's some info

· The outer edge of civilization
17,035 Posts
And Milkweed...

· Registered
648 Posts
If you know of wild fruit, berry or nut producing plants or trees in your area, don't forget to feed them too. My grandmother would go out just before spring and feed wild plants and trees to help them produce a better-quality fruit or nut. She'd cast fertilizer on the uphill side of blackberry bushes and drill small holes around hickory and walnut trees putting fertilizer in the holes. She'd then harvest the fruit for jams and nuts for the winter.

I'll do that today when I find oak trees, wild grapes or other mast trees in the woods. I'll go back in the fall and hunt deer and squirrels when they're attracted to the mast fall.

· Registered
9,245 Posts
Here is a cookbook, from an expert on alternative food sources.
"To Serve Man" is the 24th episode of the third season of the anthology series The Twilight Zone, and the 89th overall. It originally aired on March 2, 1962 on CBS.[1] Based on Damon Knight's 1950 short story of the same title, the episode was written by Rod Serling and directed by Richard L. Bare.[2][3] It is considered one of the best episodes from the series, particularly for its final twist.

Jaw Neck Sleeve Art Sculpture

I was 8 years old when I watched this program...that's the day I became a conspiracy theorist...

· Resident Curmudgeon
36,549 Posts
Stinging Nettles. I've never tried them but here's some info

Some Benedictines serve nettle soup on Saint Benedict's saint's day. The claim is the nettles won't sting you if you grasp them firmly; but smart people wear leather gloves when they pick them.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts