close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Alternative: Threaded barrel

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Aug 31, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Well, as a less expensive alternative to installing a long slide, I'm considering installing a threaded barrel on my future 1911/Para Ordnance. Question is, does one size fit all, and where can I find the least expensive ones?

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    no one size dont fit all. let me ask you a question-what is the reason that you desire a 6" long slide for a ccw -a longer gun is harder to conceal, but what are you trying to achieve?

3. BattleRifleG3

Well, it's all about tradeoffs, and I wanted the advantage in accuracy that a longer barrel would give. I haven't exactly settled on it, as I want to try shooting a few first, and see how well they carry. I may look back and laugh at wanting a longslide, though the way I see it now, it's just another inch.

4. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

The accuracy improvement in an 6" over a standard 5" is not going to be much unless you are trying ot shoot at impractical distances. Remember, for CCW, you're gunfights are going to be at six feet. and they are going to last three seconds, four to five shots fired total, and one person bleeding. You don't want to be that person.

Look at something you can draw quickly and shoot accurately with mere point shooting. You aren't generally going to even see your sights in a quick, life threatening situation. Therefore, the longer sight radius on a six incher will only be fun at the range.

My Kimber Custom Royal Gov't is a tack driver at 25 yards........

5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    i agree with oneastrix. a well built 5" gun will out shoot 99.9% of the people that will ever pick one up. for under a grand you can get one hell of a good 1911. personally for ccw i would stick with a quality single stack 1911, or a browning hi power. either way you go remember that adding cheap parts to a gun is most likely going to affect both reliabilty and accuracy. if you use a handgun for selfdefense cheap stuff wont cut it, more likely to get you killed. start saving your bucks and buy the best quality weapon that you can afford.

6. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Another thing with ccw, if you shoot someone with a modified gun,or ammo handloads,a slick attorney will try to show that you were "just waiting to shoot someone". Best to have a good stock pistol and good factory ammo.

7. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Good point Wes. I should have put that in my post, but it slipped my mind. Battlerifle, this is a very valid point. They'll turn you into a "Tackleberry" type if you give them the op..........

8. BattleRifleG3

All very good advice. I'll definitely think about all these things as the time draws closer. I gotta admit, being as I can probably get a single stack standard size for under $500 or even 400, it will likely be a good idea. Still thinking about the Glock 24 too.

9. Oneshot

Oneshot G&G Newbie

One more thing. The longer barrel will give you a few extra feet per second worth of velocity, and that will decrease your bullets drop just a little, but the sights will still be the same distance apart and that's what makes the difference. You still wont be able to do anything you couldnt before. Now, if you were planning on going through everything to legally have a suppressor for your gun, now then a extended threaded barrel, makes a lot of sense, but otherwise, it's not worth it, at least not for accuracy's sake.
    Paul

10. over

over Guest

from 6 ft away, I can break your neck

in one second flat, or gouge your eyes or break you leg in .5 second or less. So 3-4 seconds is PATHETICALLY slow.

11. MAX7.62

MAX7.62 G&G Newbie

Remember G3, you working at a maximum of 25 yards. If you want a 1911 for carry purposes then consider a commander length - which is 1 inch shorter! RIA has one that comes with a broach fit bushingless bull barrel and full length guide rod - good basic stuff to have and it's under $4oo.oo! Otherwise take it to the range and get proficient with it.
    The accuracy rests in the talent of your eye and hand my son, not the length of the pipe!

12. BattleRifleG3

Welp, this thread was started a while ago. Since then I've actually gotten a CCW arm, a Steyr M40, and like it better than anything I've ever fired. 1911 can come in time, it'll probably be a home and range gun, not a CCW. And I'm not looking at Glocks one bit, just my personal preference.

13. over

over Guest

Neither the .40 short and weak, nor

9mm are much in a belt gun. 460 Rowland offers 70 grs at 2300 fps, 800 ft lbs, in a Commander barrel, no more recoil than .45 ball ammo, either. For hunting, it will get a 90 gr swc to 2100 fps, too. Same 800 ft lbs of power, same penetration as 240 gr jhp's, 1250 fps in a 4" barreled .44 Mag, too. No more recoil than Plus P 185 gr jhp's in .45, either.

14. BattleRifleG3

Are you related to oyeah?

15. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Re: from 6 ft away, I can break your neck

:rolleyes: :spaceship :insane:

16. over

over Guest

i'ts true. one step and a hand blow,

or a pivoting kick. Those with no concept of speed are at a LOT more risk than they know. A fast man can charge 20 ft, from a standing start, in 2 seconds flat. 4 seconds is a 40yd dash, for a fast man, in the crouched start.

17. Oh, lordy. I go away a few months and come back to find this urban legend still alive. Oh, the agony!!!!

Methinks this is starting to look like a conspiracy to make us leave our guns at home, 'cause there are no documented cases of these so-called slick lawyers pulling this stunt.

18. over

over Guest

yeah, worry MORE about court than the

attacker. :) If that IS so, then you didn't HAVE to shoot the guy. It takes TIME for them to prepare a lawsuit, and you can do WHATEVER you want with your property, until you are "served" with notice of a lawsuit. That INCLUDES selling it all to your kid, mom, a friend, etc, for $1. YOu can assign "power of attorney" to ANYONE (from jail) and they can do ANYTHING that you could do if you were free to move about. Attorneys sue you in return for $30% of whatever the award is. 30% of nothing being nothing, you wont GET sued if you dont "own" anything(on paper). Use your credit cards to buy all the bullion, 1 oz gold coins you can, bury same in many caches, and laugh at the bozos. Take a bankruptcy, move out of that state, and forget about it. they will get nothing. I got news for you, stock guns and ammo AINT worth much.

19. Regardless, if you do a Lexus/Nexus search, you will not find one single successful case where deadly force was justified and the shooter was successfully sued. You will find several cases where a prosecuter tried it and it backfired.

This whole notion got started by that silly Masaad Ayboob article in some gun rag about 15-20 years ago. It got promoted for 'fact' when there was no basis for it whatsoever.