close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Amazing Facts

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Oxford, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

100 years ago: The year is 1902 , one hundred years ago ... what a difference a
    century makes. Here are the US statistics for 1902.

1. The average life expectancy in the US was forty-seven (47).

2. Only 14 Percent of the homes in the US had a bathtub.

3. Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone. A three-minute call from Denver
    to New York City cost eleven dollars.

4. There were only 8,000 cars in the US and only 144 miles of paved roads.

5. The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

6. Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than
    California. With a mere 1.4 million residents, California was only the 21st most
    populous state in the Union.

7. The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.

8. The average wage in the US was 22 cents an hour.

9. The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

10. A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist
    $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical
    engineer about $5,000 per year.

11. More than 95 percent of all births in the US took place at home.

12. Ninety percent of all US physicians had no college education. instead, they
    attended medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and by the
    government as "substandard" .

13. Sugar cost four cents a pound. Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen. Coffee cost
    fifteen cents a pound.

14. Most women only washed their hair once a month and used borax or egg yolks
    for shampoo.

15. Canada passed a law prohibiting poor people from entering the country for any reason.

16. The five leading causes of death in the US were: 1. Pneumonia and influenza
    2. Tuberculosis 3. Diarrhea 4. Heart disease 5. Stroke

17. The American flag had 45 stars. Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii and
    Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.

18. The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was 30.

19. Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented.

20. There were no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

21. One in ten US adults couldn't read or write. Only 6 percent of all Americans
    had graduated from high school.

22. Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at corner
    drugstores. According to the pharmacist, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy
    to the mind, regulates the stomach and the bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian
    of health."

23. Eighteen percent of households in the US had at least one full-time servant or
    domestic.

24. There were only about 230 reported murders in the entire US.

As they say, "We've come a long way, Baby!" :nod:

2. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

That's interesting stuff to read. I'm a History Channel buff. They often have things like that on there.

3. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I am often dismayed by the cluelesness of people when it comes to the living conditions of the past. The "poor" people in America today generally live better than the "Rich" did 100 years ago. Remember just 40 years ago when "Jet Set" referred to incredibly lavish lifestyles; ie: people who could travel on jet planes ? Nowadays, even the poor have electric lights, indoor plumbing, refrigerators, phones, televisions, and usually air conditioning and automobiles. The small exception to this would be the "homeless" who usually put themselves in that condition. No one who willing to work for a living stays homeless long. B4 anyone jumps on me fro being insensitive, I have have actual experience in dealing with "homeless" people first hand and probably given far more aid than the whiney liberal feel good types who want to take OTHER people's money and funnel it through the Federal government to "help".

Last edited: Aug 31, 2002
  4. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I'm in total agreement w/ ya Klaus. Why better onesself when you can make more off of gov't aid than a police officer makes in a years time!

5. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Here's a couple of programs I'm involved with.

This is my second attempt to make this post. The first attempt just disappeared. Don't understand what happened but I'll try to rewrite what I said.
    ---------------------

Klaus: I'd be interested in learning more about your experience dealing with homeless people.

Several years ago I volunteered with a group to fix and serve breakfast once a month for a homeless group here in Kansas City. My specialty was making biscuits and gravy. Now that may sound simple to you and most others who cook regularly, but I'm not know for my cooking skills.(ha) We fed about 300 people from our own donations. No government aid was involved.

Currently, and for the past 4 1/2 years, I've been doing volunteer carpentry work every Wednesday for Habitat For Humanity. This group receives absolutely no financial aid from any governmental group. Nearly all the labor is from volunteers and most of the materials must be paid for. As a result the client gets a $95,000 house for about $45,000 with payments over 15 years at 0% interest. This requires the client to be employed in order to qualify for the program.

It is my belief that programs like Habitat For Humanity are far superior to those that have been set up by the government.

Oxford:nod: