Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Very nice. Certainly a different perspective on hunting than we would take, but it at least seemed somewhat respectful to hunting for food. These folks are actually vegetarians, not people who say hunting is bad and then go eat burgers at McD's. They made an excellent point that road kills threaten deer far more than an uncommon friendliness towards humans.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
His plan is the gain their trust and when they are least expecting it, slice em with a survival knife.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Just a different type of respect for the wildlife; though, still a respect for it, just as a hunter has the respect to take an elder buck and to thin-the-herd for purposes of population control and conservation. Excellent pics, thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
yummy! teehee....

when you feed wild animals you habituate them to humans and they usually come to a bad end. if nothing else they are easy pickins for people like me!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Very nice. Certainly a different perspective on hunting than we would take, but it at least seemed somewhat respectful to hunting for food. These folks are actually vegetarians, not people who say hunting is bad and then go eat burgers at McD's. They made an excellent point that road kills threaten deer far more than an uncommon friendliness towards humans.
It's never been advisable to befriend animals like this. Eventually these deer will have to return to the wild. I'm sure these people have the best intentions but their really not considering whats best for the animal.
A few months ago I was Coyote hunting in Mojave National Preserve and my buddy and I decided to drive up to Death Valley National Park (there is no hunting in National Parks, California anyway), and we went to Scotty's Castle, which is a tourist attraction along with a bus stop with food and beverages available. I counted close to 25 Coyote around, blocking traffic and generally looking for food. The reason the Coyote is there is that the people have been leaving them food scraps. Then there was this one jerk with his two small children trying to get close to the Coyote so he could feed them by hand, yell sure! I yelled at him to stop and he reluctantly went back to his car. You could spend the next 100 years shooting Coyotes and still not come close to balancing out nature.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
It's never been advisable to befriend animals like this. Eventually these deer will have to return to the wild. I'm sure these people have the best intentions but their really not considering whats best for the animal.
A few months ago I was Coyote hunting in Mojave National Preserve and my buddy and I decided to drive up to Death Valley National Park (there is no hunting in National Parks, California anyway), and we went to Scotty's Castle, which is a tourist attraction along with a bus stop with food and beverages available. I counted close to 25 Coyote around, blocking traffic and generally looking for food. The reason the Coyote is there is that the people have been leaving them food scraps. Then there was this one jerk with his two small children trying to get close to the Coyote so he could feed them by hand, yell sure! I yelled at him to stop and he reluctantly went back to his car. You could spend the next 100 years shooting Coyotes and still not come close to balancing out nature.
Trust me, I understand that. I don't agree with what they were doing, but, from what I can tell, they didn't seek them out other than placing their home there. The deer came to them.

Also, to the coyote issue, here in Washington State, they're open for hunting year-round with only minor restriction on not using hounds except for certain months and there are counties that you can even do that year-round. There's also no bag limit. All you need is a small game license, know where it's legal to discharge a firearm/hunt, and off ya go!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am glad they stopped feeding them (so they say, allot of apples lying around). Hand feeding has been attributed to Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)
I'd hate to see these deer just die off, or even worse maybe spread CWD to the entire wild population.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Regardless of what the actual situation may be, I enjoyed the pics.

And it's entirely possible they may not be hand-feeding them; the average person's yard is a feast for a deer anyway. I once worked on a Beverly Hills home that had half-a-dozen deer in the back yard on any given morning.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trust me, I understand that. I don't agree with what they were doing, but, from what I can tell, they didn't seek them out other than placing their home there. The deer came to them.

Also, to the coyote issue, here in Washington State, they're open for hunting year-round with only minor restriction on not using hounds except for certain months and there are counties that you can even do that year-round. There's also no bag limit. All you need is a small game license, know where it's legal to discharge a firearm/hunt, and off ya go!
I grew up in Western Washington (Tacoma Area), moved to Pasadena area forty years ago, and to the high desert 6 years ago. I say Pasadena area as we were house jumping for about 25 years. Used to hunt Western Washington and then go over to Okanagan Country for the mulies.
We can hunt Coyote year-round in California too.
What area of Washington do you live in?

·
Registered
491 Posts
They may not be feeding the deer but they are taking away their fear of humans, wich is just as dangerous to the deer. And why do people have to move into the deer habitat anyway. I like the treehuggers who destroy the habitat to be close to it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
His plan is the gain their trust and when they are least expecting it, slice em with a survival knife.
No, No No, It's those 'Black Helicopters', there back and their in his blood stream, their making him do it! He made a serious mistake by not wearing a aluminum foil hat and now it's too late as they can read his brain waves.

The TRUTH About Black Helicopters!

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
More likely, it's deer moving into people habitat

They may not be feeding the deer but they are taking away their fear of humans, wich is just as dangerous to the deer. And why do people have to move into the deer habitat anyway. I like the treehuggers who destroy the habitat to be close to it.
I read an interesting statistic a little while ago that says we kill more deer annually than lived in the entire country a hundred years ago. Makes sense; we've destroyed most of their predators.

And there are a whole lot more coyotes than there used to be, too. Everywhere we took out or reduced the wolves, the coyotes moved in. I've read there were no coyotes in Alaska before the Gold Rush...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not good to feed ANY wild animals. What happens to the deer if they have to vacate? I believe it's called starvation. Darn hippies.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
As someone who once had his hair down to his !!!, I should probably resent that. But I just think it's funny...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts