Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a ruger .44 mag from my local gun shop. They threw in a 50rd box of American Eagle 240gr. JSP. This stuff retails there for about 35 dollars a box, so I figured I was getting a pretty good deal. That is until I took it to the range for the first time. Figured I might need more than 50rds. so I stopped off at the local Dicks and picked up a box of Remington UMC 180gr. JSP. Went to the range and began firing. Started out with the American Eagle 240's. Didn't seem all that powerful, and the shot placement was not consitant. Switched over to the Remington UMC 180's. First shot I noticed a huge difference. Lot more noise, and much more recoil than the 240gr. Now, assuming that the ammunition was of good quality and craftsmanship, the results I had should have been totally opposite. I feel that it's safe to assume that American Eagle is a little cheap in the manufacturing of their ammo. 35 bucks for a box of 50rds, I would have assumed that it would be some hard hitting stuff. In this case, the lighter bullet packed a lot more punch, and was a mere 24 dollars. American Eagle=High Priced, Weak Ammo.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Thanks for that info, I have recently bought a Redhawk 44(about a month ago)and have only fired some reloads, 6 to be exact. Ill have to get the Remmington's and try em out. Do you know where to get rubber grips for a Redhawk? What is yours(model)?

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
$35 for anything american eagle is way , way over priced. american egale is made by federal, umc by rem and they are both companies low end budget ammo. find what shoots well in your pistol and stick with it, or consider handloading.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that info, I have recently bought a Redhawk 44(about a month ago)and have only fired some reloads, 6 to be exact. Ill have to get the Remmington's and try em out. Do you know where to get rubber grips for a Redhawk? What is yours(model)?

I have a New Model Super Blackhawk. As for your question on rubber grips. Your local firearms dealer may carry them, or can get them for you if they don't. Or ebay, you can usually find a wide selection of grips for just about anything on there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts