close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

American POWS...per the news.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I posted this under General Gun room but I would like to get some fellow Vets input on it.

...cant believe the naked squril pic created more contraverses than this artical....

Thoughts on AMERICAN POWS?
    Ok this artical from (Link provided) the News makes me SICK!!!!

(AP) Iraq has not invited a U.S. delegation to discuss the fate of an American pilot shot down over Iraq during the Gulf War, Bush administration officials said Monday, casting doubt on news media reports of an invitation.

An Iraqi Foreign Ministry spokesman said Sunday that his country is "ready to receive any American team, accompanied by U.S. media, in order to discuss and document this issue under the supervision of the International Committee of the Red Cross."

But senior White House and Defense Department officials said Monday they had yet to receive such an invitation directly. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld sounded a skeptical note when he said, "I don't believe very much that the regime of Saddam Hussein puts out. They're masters of propaganda."

"We're not aware of any offer by the Iraqi government," said Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, adding that he had seen news media reports on it. "To my knowledge, it is only a fact that it's been printed. Whether it's actually happened, I'm not aware of it, nor is the Department of State, to my knowledge."

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said the administration did not have enough information to evaluate a possible invitation.

But, he said, "The government is always interested in information concerning those who are missing in action."

Lt. Cmdr. Michael Scott Speicher was lost when his Navy F/A-18 Hornet jet was shot down on Jan. 17, 1991, the first night of the war.

Speicher, 33, had been listed as the first casualty of the Gulf War. Last year the Pentagon changed his status from killed in action to missing in action after persistent reports he survived and was being held captive. His tombstone is over an empty grave at Arlington National Cemetery.

In a search of the crash site in December 1995, investigators discovered the canopy, which ejects with the pilot, spent flares and a survival kit. They also found a tattered flight suit. But no trace of Speicher was found.

When the U.S. Navy changed his status to missing, the State Department asked Iraq, through the International Red Cross and other channels, for information about the flier.

Iraq says Speicher was killed without ejecting from the cockpit, though his remains were never found.

To think that we continue to leave POWS behing is so appaling to me that it makes me question if we are any better than the Muslim terrorist leaders...they have no concern for human life and appearently we do not as well. I would love some input on POWS still being held by other countries. But TO ME (I can only speak for me) I dont know why Im not watching Sadam Husain, (and the current Leader of Veitnam as well) being tourtured on national TV until they give up the location of US Service men/women still listed as MIA/POW.
    Ill be packing My Mosans I say we all meet at the Airport for the first non-stop flight to Iraq...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002...ain504458.shtml