Gun and Game Forum banner

What do you think?

• I\'d love to see completely new SKSs come out with all sorts of options like different calibers, fin

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • I\'d like to see an exact pattern reproduction made of the originals.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I\'d like to see them made with both US and original parts, like most AKs, FALs, and G3s.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wouldn\'t find them practical or worth the money.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I think it would cease to be everything an SKS is.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Don\'t you have better things to do with your life than to post silly polls like this? Get a girlfr

Votes: 12 25.5%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are American FALs, American G3s, even American AKs...
What if an American company started putting out SKSs?
Of course you'd expect to pay American prices for American quality.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started drawing up designs for a rifle based on the SKS pattern chambered in everything up to 375 H&H, or at least 338 Win Mag, that would feed from BAR mags. Am I a nut or what?

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the check that pays my engineering school tuition...

I've actually considered someday buying some CNC tooling, getting an FFL, and actually makeing wild stuff like that. It'll be a while though. I have 2-3 more years left of Engineering school, and I'd want to have additional gunsmithing education if I went into building guns.

Other wild ideas include recoil operated carbines in 45, 44, 40, 357, and such that would use Thompson, Uzi, M1, or AK mags.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, concerning option 3, it's not impossible to configure a US compliant SKS. You just have to "play the imported parts game" and follow the Tapco link from this site.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've actually contemplated stuff like 357 or 44 Rem Mag for that same reason. What's interesting is that 357 has the same base size so it could conceivably even use the same bolt as the 7.62x39mm.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
That sounds like a cool project, Thrawn. I've been considering customizing in a paratrooper style with a gas block front site
No far just speculation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.