Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I cut most of thsi very long artical off...but Ill post the link if you want to read the whole thing. I know Ive been jumping on the Over time like Rossie O on a female flavored donut...Im working around 60 hours per week...more when I can. I was just curious is this just a florida thing or are you all working too many hours as well?

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/localstoryA31123A.htm

Sep 28, 9:31 PM

Americans working harder, longer hours

U.S. leads industrialized world in hours, productivity

By Scott Blake
FLORIDA TODAY

Just a few years out of high school, Josh Fields already is a veteran of the working world. He and his girlfriend have a baby on the way, and they plan to get married. So he often puts in 60- to 70-hour weeks working as a machinist in Melbourne.

"I need the money," the 21-year-old Fields said. "After some 16-hour shifts, it starts to get to me. Most days, I just can't get up. I can't move out of bed."

He isn't the only one feeling burned out.

Studies show Americans are working longer and harder than ever before. Americans also work more hours and are more productive than workers anywhere else in the industrialized world. And Americans also carry the most debt.

U.S. workers put in an average of 1,978 hours on the job in 2000, nearly one week more than they did a decade earlier, according to the International Labor Organization's Key Indicators of the Labour Market 2001-02 report.

Last year's recession and the continuing sluggish economy have done little to slow the trend. As companies continue cutting staff, worker productivity has continued to rise, suggesting employers are squeezing more out of fewer workers.

Americans are reaping fewer benefits for the extra hours they are working, whether in the form of more vacation or holiday time or paid leave time to care for their families, according to the Economic Policy Institute, a think-tank.

While American workers typically get two weeks off a year, French and Danish workers get five weeks a year, by law. Those in Spain, the Netherlands and Norway get a month.

But in the U.S., "Vacations, if taken at all, have become long weekends with a cellphone in the golf bag or a beeper in the backpack," author Robert Kriegel wrote in his book, "How to Succeed in Business Without Working So ****ed Hard."

"It's no wonder that so many people are asking the same tough question: 'How come, if I'm so successful, I'm not having more fun? And if I'm so 'together,' why do I feel so out of control?' "

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In 1995, the U.S. overtook Japan as the industrialized nation whose workers put in the most hours. Since then, the U.S. has increased its lead, the International Labor Organization found.

Based on the latest data available, the organization determined the Australian, Canadian, Japanese or Mexican worker was on the job an average of 100 hours less than the average American in a year -- or almost 21/2 weeks less.

The ILO report also shows Brazilians and British employees worked about 250 hours a year less than American -- more than five weeks less. Germans worked about 500 hours, or 121/2 weeks, less than workers in the United States.

Only workers in South Korea and the Czech Republic -- countries considered as "developing" or "in transition"--put in more hours than American laborers per year, logging in 500 hours and 100 hours more, respectively, than their U.S. counterparts.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Our work force is still the best in the world.

Doglips: You probably won't put much credibility into what I say as a retired person but here's my thoughts anyway on the article you've posted.
-------------
I've traveled in lots of countries and have seen how they compare to the USA. America is far ahead of other countries in lots of ways. One big reason is because of our work ethics.

Our work force has the highest productivity rate of any country in the world. That, in my opinion, is why we can get things done when the chips are down. We've got the technology available and the know-how to get them done quickly.

I've learned that productivity is basically the amount of production that gets done in one unit of time. With proper motivation, our work force exceeds the productivity rate of all other countries even though some countries are getting closer to us.

That's not to say that our workers don't need more time off for personal needs, pleasure and to get re-charged before going back to work.

Oxford

·
Registered
498 Posts
we are the best in the world, but it's been my short experience that we don't get paid like the best should, when i had what would be considered by most a good job with the airlines, i barely made enough to survive here in Kalifornia and i was making over 9 bucks an hour to.
-Jesse

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oxford..I respect retired people...to me I agreed with the artical as for us being the most productive in the world...I also see alot of people working a lot of hours just to make ends meet. I thinks its worse in states like florida because we are a right to work, non union state so the wages are low (the joke is we get paid in sunshine)...I see a lot of people working 2 jobs and latle there have been a lot of retied people takeing on jobs to help make ends meet...especialy medical/medican.
I dont see how people do it! I get $1180 from the VA, the wife works 32 hours a week and I work 60...and I still feel like Im swimming upstream..I also see a lot of laid off people takeing some low paying jobs just to get by..,,My area is strange in that because of NASA, and AF base and lots of retired officers haveing colledge is nothing.....the employeers are enjoying it in that with all the layoffs from Hi-Tec companies they get to offer people with an MA joke wages....for example the social work agencies Ive interviewed with wan an MA (Preferably Lic. MSW) nights weekends..holaday hours..no benafits..5+ yrs experience...Salery posion..pay rate 18k...(I handed the guy that offered me this a busn card and told him the security guard company I work for was hireing).I make 26k a year guarding rockets....just sitting here I can name 5 Security guards I work with with an MA, anothe 4 with a BA and a few with AA degrees....most got laid off or like me majored in the social sciencs and refuse to work for the pay being offered.
I belive people are working more..and harder...but that people are often in low paying jobs...the scary thing is that the Florida Dept of Juvinal Justice laid off a buch of workers last year....and when I looked at going back to DCF I noticed they lowerd the starting pay from 27k to 25k for a child abuse investigator...BA min...Its goten crazy.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,182 Posts
Yep, I work 60 hrs in 5 days one week, then work 48 hrs in 4 days the next. But double coverage is needed on holidays so once in awhile I have to go in on my day off and put in 72 or even 84 hrs in a week. Doesn't happen too often but when it does I'm FRIED!!! :mad:

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
sure we are. what with bosses ready to let someone go cause they know theres plenty of replacements, a guy's gotta bust his a** just to keep that job. another trend i found disheartening is the job shops springing up all over, companies are getting away from their own hiring of permanent employees.:mad:

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
"their best workers drift off for better wages, etc. with their competitors."

Don't get me wrong. I believe that you guys are right on target with your comments. I've seen those things happen here in Kansas City, too. It seems that in some fields of work this job insecurity happens even more.

The same kinds of things are going on around here. For instance, company's hire a low percentage of their employees full-time who gets good benefits, but also hire mostly part-timers who get much lower wages with no benefits or job security.

That stinks! This is strictly a short sided view for the benefit of company owners or stockholders. Absolutely no job loyalty is encouraged. No morale is formed. Turnover rates are high costing companies even more of their profits. When will owners learn that "what goes around comes around". They'll meet their "waterloo" eventually when their best workers drift off for better wages, etc. with their competitors.

Don't know how I'd handle being one of the part-timers myself. Lots of people in that category are going back for more education in fields where there's more job demands. College enrollments are up considerably this year because of that situation. Even at that, there's no guarantee of work when a person's re-qualified for something else. It's all a gamble.

Oxford

:fuss:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts