Ammo Question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Charlie, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Charlie

Charlie G&G Regular

Indy
    I bought some ammo that was maked South African .303 boxes are marked I.S.A.A. Mk 7, head stamp reads U o 1942/43 VII. I pulled a bullet to find weight and it is loaded with cordite. What is this stuff and is it safe to shoot?

2. Don

Don Guest

Your bullet should have weighed 174 grams and the powder was normally extruded (in stick form) cordite. I have fired '44-'56 mk 7 ammunition in my Lee Enfields with out any problems.

3. Rock

Rock Guest

Cordite is corrosive...So make sure you clean up after fireing...

4. Charlie, That POF VII in the 32 RND boxes(strange number of rounds in the box, dosen't add up) is good stuff. But it can be sort of hot. It is also cheap fodder to shoot, but be sure to clean, clean, clean after you do.

5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

My old 1917-dated No. 1 Mk III likes it. The Greek stuff is also good, if you can find it.

6. Jesse

Jesse Tradehawker LLC / www.tradehawker.com / Jn 17:17 Forum Contributor

The best stuff I've found in .303 British is the S&B Czech ammo. It is a little high for range blasting, but is clean accurate stuff, and boxer primed. For all you #4 MK 1, 1/2, 1/3, 2 shooters (and P-14) who are looking for match ammo... Hornady's light magnum ammo is top shelf stuff! Do not shoot this through #1 MK 3 or older Enfields... too hot.