Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some bragging rights here. My wife left me a collectors grade M1 Garand under the X-mas Tree this year.

After buying the M1 from a private collector, she then made the mistake of going to Walmart and purchasing ammo for it.

The salesman sold her a couple of boxes of Winchester Super X
150 Grain Softpoint bullets in 30-06 for it.

Unfortunately, ammo is non-refundable at Walmart.

Will I harm my piece by shooting this hunting ammo through it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I hope not, since I have shot several hundred rounds through my Garand and 03A3. I figure it is the same bullet weight as the Garand was made for I it would be loaded at reasonable pressures. Maybe one of the experts will have a better answer though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've shot quite a bit of that ammo through my M1's with nary a problem. It should be just fine. Good shooting! CR

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Congrats on have a great woman there :nod: . Nothing like a nice piece of history and a woman who understands it makes you happy. I hope that she understands some of it as it has taken my wife :fuss: along time to understand it :loveydove . You should be fine as it is not a huge hunting load :flame: . The gas operation :full: should be fine and the bullet weight is good. The match shooters push 173 grain also powder has allot to do with it but I am no expert at that :smash: . Rick B

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
I have found out that commercial ammo is borderline -- through a lot of lurking on the cmp forum the risk is to the gas piston. Modern hunting ammo can cause problems the 150 are fine but it is recommended that anything over the 175 grain range should have a adjustable gas plug the reduce the possible damage to the piston -- Clancy may have more info he's the expert

I load 150 grain ball ammo or 155gr Nosler J4 BTHP Match for mine using wc852 ball type powder

1 - 5 of 5 Posts