Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out to the range today mainly to shoot my Pistol, but also shot the ar-15 a little bit. Lately my AR-15 has been performing very well for me. I've got it sighted in very well and i think im getting more comfortable shooting it.

It's a S&W MP-15 MOE. 16" barrel, 1/9, Smith Vortex FH, and some trigger work.
Optic im using is a Burris AR-332. 3x Zeroed in at 100. ( shoots about an inch high at 50, which lines up perfectly with the first BDC dot on the reticle.)

the target circles are 4". the main dot on the burris takes up about 3" at 100 yards, so most of the target. I'm very impressed with how well I can shoot and how accurate the gun is with this optic and a bipod. and its just a govt profile barrel. even once hot it doesnt seem to effect accuracy too much. I would love to stretch it out to 200 yards or more eventually.

anyways, thats enough basking in my own glory for now.
1. American eagle .223 55 grain MFJ
2. American Eagle .223 50 gr Varmint Tipped
3. XM855 62 Gr FMJ
4. Remington JHP 45 gr
5. 50 Grain Varmint Tipped Federal( same as 2)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking of moving to a 1-4 or so scope with a finer reticle. I feel like that might make it slightly more accurate at range. But I like the versatility of this Burris, whether up close or far our, there is no adjusment needed, just point, aqcuite and squeeze. especially easy within 25-50 yards. Out farther takes alittle more time to focus on the bullseye and steady the rifle.

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
My ARs seem to like the xm855 accuracy better than 55 gr stuff. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 55 gr fmj projectiles will upset and tumble more in tissue and thus are much more effective on live , soft targets !!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My ARs seem to like the xm855 accuracy better than 55 gr stuff. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 55 gr fmj projectiles will upset and tumble more in tissue and thus are much more effective on live , soft targets !!
I believe that is true. It also makes sense that the m855 is more accurate as it is a longer bullet that is probably more aerodynamic.

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
So for punching paper XM855. For thin skinned bad guys 55gr FMJ !!!

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
I still have a couple hundred rounds of 30-06 AP on Garand clips for tougher stuff !!!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll bring out the Mosin nagant if i need something that really packs a wallop!

example, car comng towards me that needs to be stopped, 1 7.62x54r steel core straight through the radiator and right into the engine block.. that oughta do the trick!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Im planning a trip to the range next weekend so I hope to get some more accuracy testing done. this time ill be using a 3-9x40 as well as the burris and irons. the plan is to do a whole bunch of ar shooting and not much else other than some 9mm on the pistol range.

I'll do a similar target setup as last time. 50 yards to confirm zeros and then ill do some accuracy comparisons at 100. I hope to do a scotch better than last time.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
I’m anxious to get on the range myself. I put together a new AR that I want to test. Unfortunately We have 4 feet of snow to melt off first. About 3 weeks ago everything had melted and I was just waiting for the weekend. Then 2 feet of heavy wet snow with another 2 feet a week later. But that’s how it goes with winter. And I know that other folks have much more snow to melt.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well this weekend was a waste, Ive been sick with a cold since Thursday, so no range time.

I did pick up some more ammo to test though, some Hornady 68 BTHP... more of a target load which is not my typical stuff( i like stuff with better terminal performance and some accuracy) but i thought i'd try it out. based on some ballistic gel test on YouTube it still preforms pretty well. however it does have a much higher BC. so it should be more accurate assuming my 1/9 barrel can stabilize it well enough. again from research online it seems like it should be ok in my barrel. but at $1/round it better shoot well!

If it does ill probably pick up another box or two at least this will give me the option of some heavier loads in the ar. so far the heaviest load i have is hornady 60 grn sp's. great bullet at velocity but it looses punch after 200 yards or so due to velocity drop. ive been comparing .223 loads with some ballistic calcs online and from what i can tell even with the drop in velocity the heavier bullets carry more energy out father than the light bullets which start out with a slight egde but quickly loose that edge as velocity drops rather quickly.

so hopefully ill get out in a few weeks to do this test. next weekend will be abbreviated since i had to take two days off work already due to this cold im picking up an extra day next weekend. so itll be at least another 2-3 weeks. bummer. and the weather is just turning nice!

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
due to velocity drop. ive been comparing .223 loads with some ballistic calcs online and from what i can tell even with the drop in velocity the heavier bullets carry more energy out father than the light bullets which start out with a slight egde but quickly loose that edge as velocity drops rather quickly.
this is how it works with everything [shot guns, bowling balls, asteroids] not just the 223.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,944 Posts
None of my rifles/pistol builds have particularly liked the 855s but that might be the ammo type I've used.

ALL of them have shot extremely well with the Gold Dot LE 64s and 55s. PSA used to sell these for around 9 bucks a box and they are largely my go-to ammo for varmints and HD.

Most of my rifles have shot well with the 55FMJ XM193s or the 223 55 FMJ so this is typically my practice and general purpose round when I don't want to expend the gold dots. It's close enough to POI for closer range work. I also shoot steel with these when in PA and don't want the steel core of the 855s to damage the targets.

Reactions: Junction15
1 - 14 of 14 Posts