Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across this a day or so ago, thought it may be of some interest here.

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
7,687 Posts
UPS is really screwing themselves over.
Be a cold day in Cuba before I willingly use them for anything. My last shipment of Small Primer Pocket .45ACP came via USPS.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
UPS delivered an order from SGAMMO a few weeks ago. The driver rang the bell and asked for my signature. I told him that I had marked "No Signature Required" on my order so, why did I have to sign. He said that all he knew was that he needed a signature. I checked with SGA and, indeed, I had marked the no signature required box. It appears that UPS did this on their own.

·
Registered
22,656 Posts
We haven't had anything confiscated, but I have some angry customers whose "three day" packages took two weeks. This may not be gun-related shenanigans, however. I get a dozen e-mails a week saying that UPS will have global shipping delays because of storms. It is weird that a package from Alabama to Oregon is affected by the storms in Kentucky.
We tried to get rid of UPS during the whole Brownell's deal when they first started closing accounts and confiscating packages.
UPS backed down on that, I thought.
It wouldn't have mattered, some customers still prefer the slower, more expensive, anti-gun UPS to USPS, and we had to bring it back within 48 hours. People would rather risk not actually getting what they order to ... honestly I don't know what problem people have with USPS when it comes to parcels, but there must be some reason they prefer FedEx and UPS.

I have had an unusually high number of letters and bills get delayed or lost by USPS through the years (My old water company switched to postcards, and I only recieved mayber one bill out of every 10 until they switched back), but I haven't had a USPS claim of any sort since Christmas of 2020, and most of those got magically "found" right after the claim.

I've posted many times that they are the cheapest and most reliable carrier. They also have to follow Federal law, and UPS follows "policies" that have nothing to do with law.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We haven't had anything confiscated, but I have some angry customers whose "three day" packages took two weeks. This may not be gun-related shenanigans, however. I get a dozen e-mails a week saying that UPS will have global shipping delays because of storms. It is weird that a package from Alabama to Oregon is affected by the storms in Kentucky.
We tried to get rid of UPS during the whole Brownell's deal when they first started closing accounts and confiscating packages.
UPS backed down on that, I thought.
It wouldn't have mattered, some customers still prefer the slower, more expensive, anti-gun UPS to USPS, and we had to bring it back within 48 hours. People would rather risk not actually getting what they order to ... honestly I don't know what problem people have with USPS when it comes to parcels, but there must be some reason they prefer FedEx and UPS.

I have had an unusually high number of letters and bills get delayed or lost by USPS through the years (My old water company switched to postcards, and I only recieved mayber one bill out of every 10 until they switched back), but I haven't had a USPS claim of any sort since Christmas of 2020, and most of those got magically "found" right after the claim.

I've posted many times that they are the cheapest and most reliable carrier. They also have to follow Federal law, and UPS follows "policies" that have nothing to do with law.
Why would that be surprising. Look at where the two are on a map.

·
Registered
12,281 Posts
the way UPS works is through Hubs.
there are major and minor hubs and various methods of shipping used.
for instance if i mail a package from here it goes to the 2 door mini hub in town.
then down to Pocatello to the larger hub to get sorted and put in a trailer that goes to salt lake.
it can either go by highway, or dropped on a rail trailer.
then into the salt lake yard where the trailer is once again unloaded sorted and the package is loaded again.
if the package is going east one of two things happen.
it goes into a trailer with other packages and sent by rail to st louis or chicago.
or it gets dumped into the 'Denver' trailer [this is the last resort trailer at the end of the shift] which heads to the rail yard and it goes to Denver to be unloaded, sorted and re-loaded again.

coming to you the hubs can be a major or minor hub depending on the population of your town.

Reactions: neophyte
1 - 9 of 9 Posts