Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As all of you know there are tons of aftermarket parts for sks rilfles. I ruined a great gun with them. I got 5 Yugo 59/66's in a bundle deal. I was happy,great gun. One of them I wanted to "trick out" with all the great looking aftermarket parts on the web. First, I got the folding stock. Cheap piece of crap that didn't fit right. THen a zytel 40 round magazine that I ended up shootin with a 308 about 20 times. Next, the awsome muzzle break that does nothing but look cool. I spent 2 full days cleaning the cosmoline off this rilfe only to destroy it with cheesy aftermarket parts. The only decent one was a scope mount kit.. I put it on a stock rifle and I am happy with that. I have several collector grade sks's and all I ever did was restore them, not modify them. Learn from my mistakes that you get what you pay for. If a stock is 30 dollars there is a reson for that, it sucks. Keep your sks stock with only original parts because the aftermarket ones don't do anything but ruin your gun.:throwup:

G

·
mine has had a folding plastic (zytel or whatever) stock on it since before I bought it (in fact that was one of the reasons I bought it..but I was more concerned with the fact that it was a milled, machined and threaded barrel type) but I've never gotten around to changing it..I'd rather have it in a laminated fixed stock but that would divert funds from current acquisitions :D

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I saw a guy buy 5 M59/66s yesterday for $80 a piece. I got one for Wolfhuntress for $90ish and think we did well. And I don't think much if anything will ever be changed on it.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,511 Posts
SF, I did the same years back. Sold it later. My current three rifles are all as issued. They are happier that way.
I still have three Cobray Zytel mags - I keep them as an ugly reminder of good money wasted.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It started out as a cool project and ended up as a nightmare. I realized that you get what you pay for and that the factory usually knows what is best. I did find some great aftermarket wood stocks that are quality but also $100 that I don't have.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I wouldn't mind a better looking wood stock for Romanian, but other than that the only modification ever may be taking off the bayonet as I rarely have need for a pig sticker. My Albanian on the other hand has an extra stock I got with it since they use an oddball handguard. Someday I may get ambitious enough and have enough time to refinish it. Other than that though, these $100 guns outshoot my $600 L1A1 and my AR, and I'd never think of fouling them up. I don't even want to clean them for fear of ruining their out of the cosmoline accuracy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts