Analyzing Prvi Partizan .303 ammunition and cartridge cases

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by Edward horton, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Edward horton

Edward horton G&G Newbie

Prvi Partizan cartridge cases are the best modern commercial cases any Enfield owner and reloader can buy. Prvi .303 cartridge cases have rims on average .004 thicker than any other brand which helps eliminate headspace problems. Prvi cases have a base diameter on average .004 larger than any other brand. Prvi .303 cases are also .010 thicker in the critical base web area of the case where case head separations can occur.

Below are two .303 cases fired in my 1943 Maltby No.4 Enfield, you can see the difference on the effects of the larger the dimensions on the Prvi case. The much praised Greek HXP cartridge case has a much smaller base diameter and the case has expanded out to chamber dimensions. This expansion you see in the web area is where a case head separation will occur if these cases are full length resized repeatedly.

[​IMG]

The reason Prvi Partizan ammunition is less accurate in the majority of Enfield rifles is because of throat erosion from cordite powder and muzzle wear. In Enfield rifles with new barrels or having very little throat erosion they should shoot just as accurately as flat base bullets. Factory loaded Prvi .303 ammunition use a “standard” boat tail bullet design and the base of these boat tails will not obturate or expand and fill the bore when fired. This causes the bullet to slide down the initial eroded rifling without engaging the rifling and destroys accuracy. Another factor with boat tail bullets is muzzle wear which can deflect the bullet as it exits the muzzle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see below cordite loaded Mk.7 ammunition had a flat base bullet and the nitrocellulose loaded Mk.8Z used a rebated boat tail bullet.

[​IMG]

Mk.8Z ammunition used a rebated boat tail bullet to improve accuracy

[​IMG]

Below are the restrictions and explanation on hotter burning cordite powder and boat tail bullets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can purchase new Prvi Partizan cartridge cases which will last much longer when reloading, or just buy the loaded ammunition if your bore is in good condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prvi ammunition is loaded with a double base ball powder with a burning rate close to the old surplus Hodgdons BL-C2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

Wow, that is a lot of info! Problem is locating PPU brass, it always seems to be OOS.

3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Midway has it in stock.
    Prvi Partizan Ammunition 303 British 150 Grain Soft Point Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Eagle has 4 boxes left
    www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=522634&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Ammunition%20-%20Centerfire%20Rifle%20-%20Big%20Game-_-PriceCompListing-_-522634
    Palmetto has it listed but I don't know if it's in stock
    Prvi Partizan .303 British
    Same with AIM
    Prvi Partizan PPU .303 150gn SP 20rd
    My favorite place with their C&R Discount, Graf And Sons, is out of stock. Bummer.

4. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

So order them up preloaded and reload them after you fire them.

Midway has it in stock.
    Prvi Partizan Ammunition 303 British 150 Grain Soft Point Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Eagle has 4 boxes left
    www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=522634&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Ammunition%20-%20Centerfire%20Rifle%20-%20Big%20Game-_-PriceCompListing-_-522634
    Palmetto has it listed but I don't know if it's in stock
    Prvi Partizan .303 British
    Same with AIM
    Prvi Partizan PPU .303 150gn SP 20rd
    My favorite place with their C&R Discount, Graf And Sons, has the brass only in stock.

5. Edward horton

Edward horton G&G Newbie

As I stated earlier a British .303 Enfield with cordite bore erosion will not shoot boat tail bullets as accuratly as flat base bullets. If you reload just order the Prvi brass from Graf & Son and load them with Hornady .312 bullets and you can't go wrong. In a worn barrel the Hornady 174 grain round nose bullets will shoot the best because they have more bearing surface to grip the worn rifing.

Graff and Son

PRVI BRASS 303 BRITISH UNPRIMED 100/BAG $45.99

Graf & Sons - PRVI BRASS 303 BRITISH UNPRIMED 100/BAG

I use Hornady .312 pistol bullets with reduced loads of Trail Boss to fireform my cases.

[​IMG]

6. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Excellent info Ed!!!! Thank You!

And no, Gannie....I have not reloaded 303 yet. I shoot my Garands a LOT more than my Enfield these days.

7. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Enthusiast

Excellent post.
    Prvi is my favorite brand as well. first realized this when loading for 7.62x54.

8. Felix's Tattoo

Felix's Tattoo G&G Evangelist

I bought two boxes of Sellier & Beloit (SP?) one time, and shot one box. All but one or two of the brass looked as if they were about to fail, the way the brass stretched down near the base of the brass. I tossed them, and I think that the other box is still kicking around the house somewhere. Can't remember if I shot them in my 1919 Australian or my 1950 Canadian. At any rate, I would never buy any more of those. Someone told me that S&B are famous for that. I just handload now, with stuff from Graf's.

9. Edward horton

Edward horton G&G Newbie

You will hear stories on the Internet about the Enfield rifles weak action or complaints about the rear locking lugs, these complaints come from lack of knowledge or understanding. Our American Remington 788 had rear locking lugs and you don't hear Americans complaining about this Remington rifle and it was chambered for higher pressure cartridges.

The real problem is you are shooting commercial ammunition out of a military rifle that has a longer and fatter chamber or longer headspace and a larger diameter chamber. Commercial ammunition was not designed to military specifications and will stretch badly when fired in the British military chamber.

For someone who does not reload the Enfield rifles headspace and chamber diameter is not a problem. If you reload, then proper fireforming of your cases will prevent the case from stretching in the base web area and your cases will last much longer.

It is my understanding that the Serbian Prvi Partizan .303 ammunition is being made to military specifications for supplying countries that still use the British small arms and machine guns.

Bottom line, I have been reloading for over 40 years and never had a single problem with Winchester cases until I started shooting them out of the British Enfield rifle. I do not blame the Enfield rifle for a problem caused by shooting cartridge cases designed for smaller civilian commercial chambers. The Enfield rifles chamber was enlarged at the beginning of WWI to make room for the "mud of Flanders".

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  10. MJ11

MJ11 G&G Enthusiast

Ed was at the the Fields of Flanders in WWI so he knows,LOL. Old farts like us go way back and his point is true.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted