close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.....and the adventure continues.

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Rambo, May 17, 2017.

1. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    animalspooker likes this.
  2. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist

Omaha NE
    Walleye tastes like heaven on earth. Nothing better!

animalspooker, SUBMOA and Rambo like this.

3. Rambo

Rambo Norse by birth Forum Contributor

Dinner is almost served. IMG_0513.JPG

Coach, neophyte and Kmcdowell like this.
  4. Rambo

9 northern and 1 small mouth bass. The slot is 24-36" on northern so all the big ones we threw back. These were 21-23".

neophyte likes this.
  5. You are absolutely no help at all...lol

Cyrano, Kmcdowell and Rambo like this.
  6. Rambo

IMG_0516.JPG One and a half northern was plenty for dinner.

Coach, neophyte and Kmcdowell like this.
  7. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist

Omaha NE
    Looks delicious. You guys had a pretty good day on the water. I really like catching small mouth. Pound for pound, they put up a heck of a fight.

neophyte and Rambo like this.
  8. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

our small mouth are just going through their spawn.
    they keep fluctuating the water levels on the lake so one day you can't get your boat in the water and the next you need it to tow your truck down the road to the launch sight.

walleye.
    I like it pretty much how the pike shown were cooked.
    [it isn't as watery as bass or as flour tasting]
    it has a nice neutral flavor but is flaky [white meat] and takes flavor from seasoning, a sauce, or the coating quite well.

I think I prefer Crappie when they get that big ol' hump on their back.
    but generally have to make do with Trout around here.
    the bigger Rainbow [3+ lbs.] make some nice steaks like salmon does.

9. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 G&G Evangelist

It is a flakey and clean tasting fish. The fish flavor is minimal, and it takes on the flavor of whatever you put on it. I think it's overrated, personally. It and catfish tail tastes the same to me, but catfish have the nuggets over the ribs :D

In my opinion, bluegills and sunfish are some of the best eating fish out there; you just need a few for a meal. I grew up on northerns at my grandparents' house, because Grandpa speared them. Grandma prefers pike to walleye because she thinks walleye is flavorless.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    neophyte, Rambo and ncnascarlady like this.
  10. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 G&G Evangelist

Looks like another good trip, Rambo. I'll be way up in Canada in a couple weeks doing the same!

11. "Make do with"...sigh... You have no idea how badly I want to just reach through the screen and smack you...

Hubby WILL NOT eat fish. Period. Full Stop. Otherwise I could have had a freezer full of rainbow trout and large mouth bass last summer. One of my neighbors is an avid and very good fisherman who hates catch and release. I would have been happy to pay for the gas for his truck and boat in exchange for some fish.

Sadly he's almost 90 years old and has had a stroke so he can't go fishing. His chances of recovery aren't very good. If there was some way he could manage to be in his boat I'd take he out in a heartbeat even if he couldn't fish. Just a day on the lake might life his spirits.

12. Looks like another good trip

Rambo and neophyte like this.
  13. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Rambo: Sir, vicariously :) We are living through your adventures:)
    Keep slinging and jerking :) with sun screen protecting yawls hyde:)
    (Have your hands healed) :)

Rambo likes this.
  14. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    Walleye is probably the best fish I've ever eaten. Don't really know how to explain it though Nascar. If I could catch some here (winter, river fishing here in SEMO) I'd pack you some up and mail it to you. Remind me this fall/winter and I'll see what I can do!

15. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    Hey Rambo. I had the same thing for dinner. Evan Williams!

Rambo and neophyte like this.
  16. Thanks! Hubby will just have to put up with "stinky food" being cooked. I mean, it's not like I complain when he fixes creamed chipped beef...(shuttering at the thought) :D

17. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Whenever someone mentions creamed chipped beef, the thought that flashes across my mind is Tom Skerritt holding up a piece of toast with that glop dripping off it and yelling at Robert Duvall playing Frank Burns, "You forgot your shingle, Doctor!"

18. It still boggles my mind that he's not only willing and able to cook it, but that he really likes it! To me it looks about as appetizing as river muck and smells like shredded beef cat food and the can that's been left in a hot car for a week.

Rambo likes this.
  19. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    I like them Abu-Garcia reels, I have several of them, versatile and strong. The brunt of my fishing is salt water though.

austinjoe13, Rambo and neophyte like this.
  20. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

DO NOT think the pollock served everywhere as Walleye is anywhere close to the same as walleye. If you had one piece of each and tried both you would know instantly which is which. Not saying there has never been a bad tasting walleye, I just have never had any and I don't like "fishy" tasting fish. On the other hand good pollock I have nothing against either so long as it doesn't taste as though it was allowed to go bad before it was cooked.