close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

and the wait begins

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk G&G Evangelist

The nice part is I have the AAC 51T flash suppressor on all of my rifles, 2-.308s, 2-5.56s, 2-.243s and even my new Ruger 10-22. The same AAC 762 SD can be used on all of them. No matter what rifle I take to the range, I can shoot it suppressed.

TXplt, Dutch and blaster like this.
  2. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    That sounds like an excellent system. The ability to attach directly to a flash hider that gets left on the rifle is a huge selling point.

Do you generally swap it out to whatever you're shooting? Or is it spending most of it's time on one rifle?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 11:28 AM
    TXplt likes this.

3. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Did the same thing--kinda--when I went the Omega/K-556 route. Although my AAC MPW has the 51T mount I did wind up going the Silencerco route instead. But only 'lost' the one flash hider on the MPW in favor of the SPECWAR ones in the deal. Since the Omega came with a 5/8 muzzle device and a free additional FH to me it was worth it.

I'm personally a little careful when it comes to 22LR. Don't think a SMALL amount of 22LR through it might harm it but I'm reluctant to put this particular round through it (it can't be disassembled for cleaning) in any significant quantity. The centerfire kinda blast cleans it as it goes along (like the gas tube on an AR) but the 22LR is a bit of a crappy round in terms of fouling and especially lead spray so I don't want to accumulate junk in the baffles with it.

FWIW mine is usually attached to my HD pistol build when in service, but moves around to other guns I'm shooting when I want to shoot suppressed. I often shoot suppressed but since the guns tend to accumulate more junk in the receiver WHILE shooting suppressed it's not an all the time kind of deal. You can go with an adjustable gas block but my guns need to operate both suppressed and unsuppressed. What I've found has worked pretty well is a ST-T2 buffer with a Chrome Silicon (either Tubbs or the Sprinco standard weight) spring. The builds/rifles seem properly gassed (maybe a little bit under) unsuppressed and slightly overgassed suppressed. Only problem I've noticed is that if I'm shooting lower power ammo (like the PMC stuff) and the receiver is way gunked up it can hang up unsuppressed in the pistol build but it's worked fine with everything else.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 10:18 AM
    blaster and Dutch like this.
  4. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk G&G Evangelist

It gets swapped out to whatever rifle I'm shooting for the day. It does spend a lot of time on my .308 bolt gun though, as I really enjoy shooting that gun. The new T/C Compass in .243 may edge it out though. THat is a fun gun to shoot and a bit cheaper.

I don't shoot the .22LR through the can that much. When I do, I shoot a couple rounds of .308 after it to help clean out the crud. Some Simple Green in hot water and a bottle brush gets the rest out, followed by a rinse in hot water.

TXplt likes this.
  5. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I have to wonder if dropping the suppressor in a sonic cleaner would wreck the finish on the new suppressors. And if it does, is it a big deal? I know a guy whose .22 suppressor has a new paint job every time I see it, because his cleaner takes it right off. It's an old, like first generation, suppressor and may have been painted with high-temp black from the start. He said it was an improvement when the cleaner stripped off the original finish. Heh.

TX, I really want that Omega. I debated hard between the Omega and the TBAC Ultra 9. I ordered the TBAC. The issue being, like you noted, the adapters are all proprietary. So once you buy one, you are locked to one brand.

The SilencerCo Hybrid will do .45 ACP. I have AR-15's in .45 ACP and 9mm. I am thinking it would be perfect to swap between those two rifles.

blaster likes this.
  6. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I keep my 300 BLK Mini 14 sighted in with the Omega for suppressed super sonic hunting. the Mini runs a lot cleaner than the AR 15 s. but I still do use it on my AR 15 s (both 300 Blk & 5.56) I also use it on my Ruger 7 mag. bolt gun. it really tames the blast from that thing!

Attached Files: