close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

And they call this stuff MATCH grade

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Armorer, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Got my new RCBS Electronic scale today.

I went about weighing a 100 Sierra 175gr Match Kings, and 100 Hornady 178gr A-Max match bullets.

The Sierras varied up 4 tenths of a grain. The Hornady up and down by 3 tenths.

Now I guess I have to sort the other 500 I bought :-(

2. styckk

styckk G&G Newbie

Ca
    Match stuff???

Just curious here.....how much difference in impact of bullet do you think .4 of a grain would make? I tried my hand at casting bullets last year and found out how imperfect the results were. Often times I found bullets that differed as much as 5 grains. I used to try sorting by weigh but eventually gave up and just shot the darn things. Later I gave up casting altogether (big waste of time!) But back to original thread...dang, .4 of a grain variance sounds good to me!

3. Armorer

Armorer Guest

The object is to make each round the same. 499 of these may be used at 2-300 yards. One may be used at 8-1000 yards. With up to .4 of a gram heavier will make that one round fall a tad bit short if it happens to be used at the outer ranges.

The light ones will be used at 25 yards as sight in rounds. Every last heavy one now weighs 175.0 gains.

4. tonto

tonto G&G Newbie

I use an electronic dillon scale to weigh my hunting loads as well. I keep them all separated then for my hunting bullets i choose the most that will make up a box. Before at 200-300 yards I never really saw any difference, but it just eliminates one more possibility when (if) I draw down on that monster buck and miss.
    That and I have to justify buying an electronic scale.
    But when hitting at 1000 yards I can see where you would want to have every bullet exact.

5. I used to load for benchrest. It would take 3 nights during the week to load ~ 100 rounds to very high quality: every case was notched so it went into the chamber with the notch in the 12 o'clock position. All cases were sorted and kept in lots according to case volume. All bullets were weighed and sorted into lots of 1/10 grain increments. All powder charges were weighed. The guys who were really fanatics weighed and sorted primers and then they took a machinist's V-block and dial caliper to check bullet seating for concentricity. Then I got married. End of story. I don't know that it made such a difference in the accuracy because evrybody in the benchrest club, when things were off, would blame the nut that pulls the trigger.