Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NO ONE seems to know ANYTHING ANYWHERE about the SAS 12ga semi auto shotguns imported by Century. They take a detachable box magazine. They've been dropping in price. According to a gun show dealer, it's because everyone's too scared to try them.

They use Beretta Chokes and are rated for lead shot only. I assume this means slugs are ok, especially since versions of them are marketed as tactical shotguns.

Anyone know any reason to buy or not to buy, now that CDNN's cost is down to a measly $100? Toss in $15 or so for shipping and a $20 transfer fee and I got a clip fed semi auto shotgun for $135.

I figure if it has cycling issues I'm assuming I could open the gas port a little and/or give it a stiffer action spring, but would that then wear out the action? Perhaps I could fashion a buffer? Or is there really nothing wrong with it, and I'd be getting a heck of a deal?

And what makes a shotgun barrel suitable for steel shot or not? Could I have that done after the fact, say plated with something?

Or is this actually dangerous? My only concerns are getting something I can't even make work, and getting something with safety issues.

I have half a mind to order two, one to test with proof loads using a mechanism behind a barrier and one to use if the first tests out ok.

L

·
0 Posts
you've always wanted a box magazine fed shotgun..

Originally posted by BattleRifleG3
They use Beretta Chokes and are rated for lead shot only. I assume this means slugs are ok, especially since versions of them are marketed as tactical shotguns.

Anyone know any reason to buy or not to buy, now that CDNN's cost is down to a measly $100? Toss in $15 or so for shipping and a $20 transfer fee and I got a clip fed semi auto shotgun for $135.
I don't know what you're waiting on..would you forgive yourself for passing it up ? if you pass it up

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Saiga 20 that works great, but it has a fixed choke and is 20ga. I also like the standard shape for shotguns more than the AK one. If I get this one and it works well, I think I'd sell my Saiga 20 with nothing but good to say about it.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
If ya got the money to play...play away bro! :D

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I don't like to be a guinea piggy... I just haven't heard ANYTHING from ANYONE concerning them. I'm not overflowing with money. It's more of a gamble. Not like it's my last hundred dollars, but I think if you got screwed out of a hundred bucks you'd be ticked, even if you had several grand at hand.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I searched all the regular vendors (Century, Centerfire, FAC, CDNN) for mags for this shotgun, and found only 3 rounders for $20 at CDNN. I also seem to recall them fitting very tightly into the receiver, meaning improvising one would be hard.

At this point it just doesn't seem like it's worth the money, time, and effort. There are other buys on the horizon, like a Ruger Carbine, or another Saiga rifle. And for a 12ga semi I can just wait around and save up for a real one with a tube mag.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Good advice, Lenny.

BRG3....'bout how many rounds you want to fire from a 12ga in a row anyhow? But I'll agree that the gun in the pic sure is neat looking,

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the gun in the pic is a Valtro, which is an established brand with a good reputation. But it's a pump, and the one i was considering for $100 is semi auto.

I never thought about the possibility of just converting it to a pump if it had cycling issues. Might have to give it a second thought. Well, no, cause I couldn't improvise a system that locked the slide forward when chambered.

Might get a Valtro some day. Not even sure how much they run for. I don't see them around much.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
A gas operated semi-auto for a single bill? Hmmmm...beware.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked one out at Dunhams yesterday... FORGET IT!

Mag took tons of force to get out, the ribbing on the receiver wasn't lined up with the ribbing on the barrel, and I have polished the outsides of barrels better than that barrel was polished. It looked like it had been done with a steel brush.

It's sad that such a crappy shotgun was ever made. Hopefully people won't take it to mean that sort of configuration is unpopular, just that particular shotgun's construction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts