Animal Eye Reflections

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by mudpuppy, Sep 28, 2010.

1. mudpuppy

mudpuppy G&G Regular

I have a short range headlamp with LED lights. When walking the dog, I am seeing some animal's eyes that glow bright orange. The animal is not large. I suspect it is a raccoon, but not sure. Last night there were 3 sets of eyes and later there were two sets in trees up the mountainside. This critter is in the mountains of NC near the Little Tennessee River.

Anybody know what animal has eyes that glow orange in a white light?

2. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Down here hunters shine the light out on the water and they see 2 red dots (Gator) and shoot right between em.

3. mudpuppy

mudpuppy G&G Regular

Being originally from Florida - I am quite aware of what gator eyes look like at night. However, these eyes climbed trees. I don't think NC gators can climb trees.

Now - back to the original question - anybody know what animal has bright orange eyes when a light is shined on them?

4. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

Sounds like a coon or a fox. That would be my guess. Foxes can climb, or run up trees. It maybe a bobcat. I am not sure what has eyes that glow orange, but a fox would be my best guess.

5. Allie

Allie G&G Newbie

Raise Chickens...always aware of what sets off the motion detectors. Fox are Blue, sometimes both blue and yellow, Raccoon, Rabbits, and cats all yellow, Possum are red (sometimes red and yellow), dogs, I have only seen blue, bears are red, owls are also, per my experience red...despite all I have read, deer show up blue (lots say white, seen their pics...bright white (in pics), for me, and my flashlight, blue). Also, when visiting my sister in FL, EYES THAT GLOW, ANY COLOR, FROM THE WATER.... I RUN! lol! ;)

Wicked109 and Jaison like this.
  6. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

I have been know to place two reflective trail tacks about 4 feet above ground and spaced about 5 or 6 inches apart. At night from a distance you don't know what might be looking back at you.

neophyte and Ten Man like this.
  7. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

Thats pure evil Wicked...hence the name I guess?

Wicked109, neophyte and Jaison like this.
  8. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Last year, I spotlighted three coyotes (at night), and the three of them had three different pairs of colors glowing back: one green, one yellow, and one ORANGE!

The retinal color that reflects back can change over time, as well. Our Black Lab's retinas shone BLUE when she was a pup, last year. Now, as an adult, they show green.

I don't know WHAT determines the color that shines back in white light, but I know it is not the same within the same species for all animals.

Big Dog and neophyte like this.
  9. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

Michigan
    The eyes of cats and dogs see best in the low light of twilight. They are classified as crepuscular rather than nocturnal, but both species are hunters who can see well enough to catch nocturnal prey. Animals of the night have eyes that are designed to help them see better in the dark, with a special surface just behind their retina called the tapetum lucidum that reflects light. It’s a mirror-like reflective membrane that sends light back through the retina a second time, giving the light an extra chance to hit rods which are sensitive to light. This enables nocturnal animals to use all available light to help them see, and the reflective light of their eyes we pick up in a flashlight beam can give us an idea of which critter is staring at us – but it’s not reliable. Observing how the animal behaves and how far off the ground the eyes are is a better way of knowing if it’s a deer, coyote or another animal.

You can get a general idea of which critter has you in their sight, but the color of a specific animal can vary depending on the angle and type of light source (LED or incandescent from a flashlight, car headlights, moonlight). Reflective eye color can also vary depending on the animal’s age, health, amount of zinc or riboflavin in the tapetum lucidum, amount of pigmentation inside the retina, eye color and distortions within the lens. The colors produced by the tapetum can be white, green, blue, yellow, orange or red. Alligators and crocodiles are famous for their red reflective eyes at night. It’s possible for two animals from the same species to have different reflective eye colors.

:D Al

neophyte likes this.
  10. richardw

richardw G&G Evangelist

Raccoon. Eyes dilated wide open for night vision. Light enters the eye and illuminates the inside of the eye which has blood vessels. The reflection you get back is anywhere from red to orange. That is an educated guess not an expert opinion.