Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys anneal your brass? And if so, is this strictly for increasing the life of your brass? Any science out there proving it aids in creating more consistent muzzle velocity?

I'm by no means an expert, but I've always understood that it makes the brass softer so it will seal the chamber during firing. I would think this may give more consistent pressures and, indirectly, give more consistent muzzle velocity? Is my thinking way off base? Don't hold back experts....let me have it!

·
Premium Member
5,362 Posts
I do anneal certain brass, it alleviates the work hardening that brass get put through when sized, formed and shot. I anneal and cut to length rifle brass if bottlenecked ctg, I anneal full cases if being formed into new chamberings. It can improve the life of some brass but too much heat can change the structure of the brass and ruin it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have annealed my brass for decades. Brass (the necks) hardens every time it is fired, so when it gets resized, the necks can / will spring back not giving you the correct neck tension.
For the average hunter / shooter annealing may not be worth the time / expense, but precision shooting pretty much requires you to anneal if you want consistent accuracy.

For many years, I just used a propane torch and a powered screwdriver / cordless drill with a deep socket to hold the case in. A while back, I built an induction annealer, and it's a lot faster to do it.

I also have all of the stuff to build one that a guy on youtube built.

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
I use a MAP torch, cordless screw driver, and a bucket of water. I do it for the Lapua brass that I was paying over a dollar a piece for when they were the only game in town for the Grendel. I've also used it for my 280 AI when I was fire forming 280 brass to make it.
I would do it about every 4-5 firings for the Grendel brass because it is fired from an auto and needs to be full length resized every time.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,250 Posts
The only one currently anneal is 45-70 I half fill an old frying pan with water, stand the cartridges up in the water, keeps the base from getting over heated. I use a torch in the dark and try to keep it purple In color. When I heat one up, I simply tip it over into the pan. Reload the pan and repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

1 - 5 of 5 Posts