Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
That is very impressive!

I am very surprised by the shape of the barrel. I expected something much thinner like the mosin nagant. No wonder the 03A3 is known for accuracy.

The barrel profile reminds me of the DD S2W ( strength-to-wegiht) profile, starts thick and gets thinner towards the muzzle, provides a stiff barrel that is optimized for weight savings.

Springfield figured that out 100 years ago!

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
IMG_2142.JPG IMG_2139.JPG IMG_2139.JPG IMG_2142.JPG I received the front sight parts today and installed them. I may get to try it out tomorrow. JR

Reactions: SUBMOA and cjleete

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
IMG_2148.JPG
Finally got a chance to shoot it today. 3 rounds into a 7/8 inch group at 100 yds with the military peep sight. The group is towards the top right above the target paper. This one will probably get scoped like an 03A4 but with more modern optics. JR JR

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hadn't been on here since the big crash, seems like it took a while to pick up again. Here is my recent good deed. This had been an all original pristine A3 that bubba sportered. He D&T'd the action and had a K4-60B on it. It was a perfect candidate to make an A4 so I corrected the mount holes, bent an A4 bolt clone and found an old Redfield base that I milled the step and bevel into. I had an original box of scant stocks so trimmed one down to pre-war Springfield scant dimensions, milled an A4 bolt relief notch and fit it. Then sent the barrel and bolt body off to get parked and blued (kept everything else original finish). I have an original Z prefix A4 so I built this one to be my daily shooter... but it turned out so nice I gotta be careful with it.

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nice work !!

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Man that is some gorgeous work. Do you do this for a hobby, or do you 'make/assemble/reassemble' these for others or for profit?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks, Not so much, mostly for myself. I bought a lot of 03 and A3 parts many years ago (a few 1917) back when they were cheap. 03s and A3 are my favorite so I like to restore them and if they're sportered I build USMC snipers and A4s. Here is a USMC I did, not the best pic but it shoots 3/4" groups.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts