close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another 91/30...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Calvin, May 25, 2002.

1. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Just got back from a gun show today, and had to pick up another unissued 91/30. This one is nice, but it looks as though the stock had been dunked in varnish, and the metal put on immediately afterwards. The barrel bands have a "ridge" around them from too much varnish. Anyone else have one like this? And , the bayonet on this one requires 2 hands to twist it on. I almost thought I was unscrewing the barrel when I tried to take it off. Anyone have this trouble, too? I haven't had any trouble with any of my others, but I guess there's one in every crowd......

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

hi cal!!! i had one of those varnish dipped mosins, don't worry the varnish will start peeling and you can refinish it!!!. the arsenal refurb i got from centerfire also has a tight fitting bayonet. was a ***** to put on and a bigger fight to take off!!! think i'll forgo bayonet charges for a while!!!

3. That sounds pretty typical Calvin. I have not bought one of the 91/30 arsenal refinished guns yet but I have seen tons of Mosins in general and they often exhibit that crappy "varnish dipped" finish you described. Papa is right, that stuff will peel and is actually pretty easy to remove for putting a "real" finish on.

A question about these "unissued" 91/30s. I have seen them offered in Shotgun news and been very interested however I have yet to hear from anyone about how the perform. Pretty is fine for a wall hanger but I want guns that shoot well too. All of my mosins so far have been genuine "unissued" models and I have no experience with "arsenal refinished" ones. having grown-up in East Germany in the immediate presence of Russians, I have real concerns about just how well these guns were re-done. I never saw the Russians fix anything properly.

How well do these guns actually perform at the range?

4. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

CK, my first refurb that I got a few weeks ago has done extremely well at the range. With the bayo attached, it shot a 3-shot group in the 1 1/4" range. Without, it opened up to about 13/4" or so. Seems the Ruskies did okay on these rifles. I have a couple more 91/30's I bought immediately after, but have not had a chance to shoot them yet. If you're asking for an opinion or a recommendation, I would say to buy one without hesitation. Like you, I bought mine to shoot, and so far, it does it really well.
    Papa G, how's the Lake this weekend? Heard there's supposed to be about 325,000 people there. Hope all is well with you and yours. Thanks for the info, and PM me sometime.

5. PAPA G

well cal i don't know about the lake i don't leave my rancho at all on memorial day weekend!!! the Ohio Navy is well represented here, also theret Somernight Cruise too, thats a custom and antique car show thats expecting 5-600 participants. so things are hopping and i'm not in the mood for any crowds. but then thats just me, you have a great weekend, and remember what Memorial Day is really all about!!!:D

6. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Used to be an official member of the Ohio Navy myself. We used to hit the lake Memorial Day, the 4th of July, and Labor Day. Funny thing about Lake Cumberland is that there can be 250,000 people there, but you could sit in a cove and not see 15 boats go by all day. I miss Cumberland, as we usually hit Dale Hollow now. I'm trying to work on hitting Cumberland a couple of times this year. I'll PM you when we get ready to come down, about a week in advance.

7. PAPA G

funny thing about lake cumberland is the only crowded places are the boat launching sites, but then they scatter, i wish they could publish how many boaters come here!!! still waiting to stumble on a deal on a pontoon, thats the ideal thing for my tribe!!!!:nod:

8. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I used to sit at the dock for hours, laughing my head off watching people float their boats. It's amazing half of those people ever get on the water!! One year, at Lee's Ford, we watched a guy launch his boat with the trailer still strapped to the boat. He actually got the trailer off of the ball, and floated the whole ball of wax. I laughed so hard I fell in the lake! Then, he came back and couldn't understand how come his boat wouldn't plane.

9. PAPA G

thats a good one Calvin!!!!!! some of the best entertainment is at the boat launch ramps. at barnegat light NJ, watched a pair putting the boat in, so he has his buddy hold the rope while he pushes the boat off the trailer, the buddy stands there and watches the rope run through his hands, boat owners having a stroke!!! buddy looked about 300#, goes running down the dock takes a flying leap for the bow rails, he struggles to get in, never having ran a boat hollers what to do, boat owners hollers back directions, buddy drives boat right into the dock ripping all the handrails, lights and other dodads off the boat, boat owner was ready for a coronary!!!!!! good home video fodder!!!:D :D :D