Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I shot another doe tonight, but it wasn't pretty. I was aiming for her neck as she walked towards the fence, shot her just as she started to jump, and ended up hitting her in the spine just forward of her hindquarters. I immediately walked down to where she fell and attempted to shoot her behind the head as she was thrashing around, resulting in a shot through her windpipe causing no "real" damage. She finally stopped thrashing after several minutes and I finished her. This was VERY unprofessional as I allowed myself to be rushed by the impending sunset. I could've shot her on the other side of the fence, but I was afraid she wouldn't come into view again before it was too dark to see, and I blew it! Right now I'm feeling pretty disgusted with myself and have vowed to never allow this to happen again. This is every bit as bad as my stepson trying to Carlos Hathcock that buck last weekend. On a brighter note, I saw about 85-100 turkey (one group) and a total of ten deer in the space of an hour and a half. My doe and another yearling were the only thing in range, but watching game is every bit as fun as shooting at it and twice as educational. I got to see a turkey hen chase a doe around the field which was pretty comical. I haven't got a buck this year, but I may not even try for one, I've got plenty of meat.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Don't get too down on yourself Toolman, it happens from time to time. I spent more time in the woods this year than I care to admit, and didn't get anything.

The weekend of December 8-9th, I was hunting in what the truck thermometers said was 21 below, but it was probably more like 17 below. Either way, it was cold and miserable, and I saw two fawns the whole weekend. So, even if the shot wasn't perfect, at least you recovered the deer.

Transfering schools down to Texas is getting more appealing as the tempature drops and the deer season is short.:09:

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lng Rng, if it makes you feel any better, I shot this doe wearing a t-shirt and jeans, the high today was 76 with a low of 44.
Mn. can be brutal tho, I don't know how you guys stand it! I delivered a truck up in International Fall last winter and the "real" temp was -20 with a wind-chill of -42! This is just too dammed cold for a thin-skinned (with a beer-belly) Tx. boy! :D On the other hand, we are supposed to get down to 26 tomorrow night with a high of 54 Sun., I better break out the thermals and the propane heater!!! :p

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey Toolman,if you play this game we call hunting often enough,sooner or later its just going to happen.You got the deer and also got to watch the other wildlife.The guilt is normal and also proves you have hunting ethics.Continue on and keep enjoying yourself out there.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
The guys are right. You did everything in your control and followed through. You really want to get bummed, start bow hunting, LOL.
You got meat man! Good going!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
yup, you COULD keep beatin yourself over a mistake that gets everybody or pat yourself on the back for doing the right thing and finishing it earlier than a lot of fellas might have. now go and chow down, thats an order.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Toolman, you tried doing your best and that's all that could ever be expected from someone....even a frequent hunter.

Anyone that knows you here also knows your philosophies on hunting and the treatment of the animal. Because of that everyone would uderstand it was an accident you feel regretable for.

If there are any point to be learned from it tou will learn them and that, too, is all that can be expected.

But, as it was said, don't beat yourself up.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
It is sad when we have something like this happen. My Step-Father had the very same thing happen to him this year with a new gun he bought 3 years ago.
I sighted in the scope, but when he shot it, it would hit 6 " give or take to the left.
When I shot it, it hits the center, He got the Buck but had to shoot it twice and then cut it's throat where it would bleed out and die.
I walked up as the poor Deer took it's last breath.
He's in his late 70's and I mildly admonished him for not pre-shooting his rifle before the season opened.
He felt real bad about it, so i wasn't hard on him. A.H

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
It happens. Don't beat yourself up over it. Besides, shes in a better place now, your freezer! :)

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Thanks Lng Rng, if it makes you feel any better, I shot this doe wearing a t-shirt and jeans, the high today was 76 with a low of 44.
Mn. can be brutal tho, I don't know how you guys stand it! I delivered a truck up in International Fall last winter and the "real" temp was -20 with a wind-chill of -42! This is just too dammed cold for a thin-skinned (with a beer-belly) Tx. boy! :D On the other hand, we are supposed to get down to 26 tomorrow night with a high of 54 Sun., I better break out the thermals and the propane heater!!! :p
Do you often have deer wearing clothing like that?Are deer as cute in T-shirt and jeans as girls?Just joking.Congrats on the deer. sam.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you often have deer wearing clothing like that?Are deer as cute in T-shirt and jeans as girls?Just joking.Congrats on the deer. sam.
Yeah Sam, I think the "Daisy Dukes" she was wearing threw me off! :D

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Even a good ethical hunter such as yourself is capable of rushing a shot for whatever reason. When the shot did not produce the result you wanted you immediately took care of it which is all any of us could have done. Don't beat yourself up, just enjoy the outdoors and eat an extra piece of venison for me.lol

·
Premium Member
18,914 Posts
It happens to everyone.

Hi Toolman, I'm one of the new guys, and happened across your post. You can come up to Okla. and hunt with me anytime, I like your hunting ethics. I had a bad thing happen last season. I spotted a doe moving thru the woods, and forced a shot. But I was so wound up that I couldn't stop pulling the trigger. The fellow closest to me said it sounded like a semi-auto, But I hunt with a model 70. I beat myself up for two weeks over that, and this year I've let possibles go rather than force it. And I feel much better about it. Just keep on keepin' on.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
sooner or later these instances happen to the best of us i think, least you got the deer thats the most important thing, its bad here in northern oklahoma its 24 and the north winds about 30 blowing sleet and snow, 76 is nice for this time a year, where you are. Steve

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Poor thing...(and the deer too ;) )

But yes, don't get down on yourself for this. Sometimes, despite everything, the shot just isn't perfect. I commend you for trying to put her down quickly right afterwards, and it's likely she was going into deep shock, especially after the second round, so she wasn't likely feeling too much of anything as such as she died.

How big was she? I'm presuming decently sized since you obviously weren't going to go in for a throat cut while she was thrashing. There's a line between compassion and idiocy, and it's nice to know you're on the right side of it.

Well, at least she only took a few minutes to go down. Normally deer die one of four ways: starvation, disease, predation, and hunters. Of the four, even a poorish shot is more merciful than the others.

So, what'd she dress out at?

By the way, nice reference...your stepson tried hitting his in the eye, I take it?

- Coeloptera

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the kind words guys! Coeloptera, what I was referring to was an incident awhile back where he was hunting by himself and attempted a 350-400 yd. shot on a large buck. He hasn't shot the gun enough to know where it hits at 200, let alone twice that far. He hit the deer poorly and it got away.:mad: I've been on his butt all week about it. I bought him a t-shirt for Christmas that reads "Vegetarian: Old Indian Word for Bad Hunter" :D. On the plus side, we went out today and saw a lot of deer and turkey that were on the borderline of his shooting capabilities. Losing that buck taught him that he's not as good as he thought he was, and he wouldn't even attempt a shot. BTW, the doe dressed out at just over 100 lbs.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Carlos Hathcock - never heard that expression whats it mean?
Eric, welcome to G&G! Carlos Hathcock (aka: White Feather)was one of the most famous Marine snipers in Vietnam. He was credited with one kill at a measured 2500+ yds. and also shot an enemy sniper through the tube of his scope while the other guy was watching him. If you get a chance to read "Marine Sniper" by Charles W. Henderson, jump on it, it's an excellent read. You can Google "Carlos Hathcock" and get a ton of info. My stepson attempted to "Hathcock" a buck @ around 350 yds and blew it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
"In 1967, Hathcock set the record for the 20th century's longest combat kill with a Browning .50 machine gun mounting a telescopic sight. The distance was 2,286 meters or 1.42 miles. Hathcock was one of several individuals to utilize the Browning M2 machine gun in the sniping role. This success led to the adoption of the .50 BMG cartridge as a viable anti-personnel and anti-equipment sniper round. Sniper rifles have been designed for this round.
The record stood until the 21st century, when in 2002 it was broken during Operation Anaconda in Afganistan by a Canadian three-man sniper team led by Master Corporal Graham Ragsdale from the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI). The record itself was set by Corporal Rob Furlong with a shot of 2,430 meters from a McMillan TAC-50 Long-Range Sniper Weapon on a Taliban fighter." Quoted from the wikipedia
Thought I would throw that in to show my Canadian pride.
LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad shot, I always take it hard when I've doen those shots. Last year I had my perfect buck that I watched a year before come walking up and didn't find time to get out and check the sighting on the gun, ended up taking 4 shots at him around 100 yards away. First shot went way left into his guts and then the other 2 didn't even touch him finally on the 4th shot I used open sights and dropped him. Attempted to sight the gun in this year and my dad was deadset on the gun being off not the scope, scope was jumping horribly so I threw my spare scope on it. Anyway things happen and as long as u learned from ur mistake everything should be fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts